Middle Eastern Studies/NELC Masters/PhD

Arm457

On 1/27/2016 at 8:08 PM, englishmuffin said:

Still not heard anything - I'm not reading anything into it, either. I still think it's too early for admissions committees to have made any decisions.

Sorry to burst your bubble mate, if you did not receive an email from UChicago asking for you to upload a short 3 minute video then you did not make the cut.

ibnbattuta, are you one of the shortlisted applicants at U of Chicago? Is your assumption based on the one 3 minute video request posted on the results' page? If you have more information, please share with us. I'm asking because I don't know that applicant and I have not heard of any other applicant who received a video request. I would like to know if you happened to know any other applicant(s). Is there a chance that any one of us could be wait-listed? On another note, have you all received an email for the FLAS fellowship? Has anyone submitted the FLAS application? - Still talking about U of Chicago. 

23 minutes ago, karawyah said:

Almaqah Thwn - I'm sorry to hear about your rejection from UT Austin. Have you applied to other schools? I hope you receive good news soon.

Thank you, I appreciate it. I wish your programs go well as well! I had sunk the most time into applying to UT Austin by virtue of its proximity, but I guess that is how these things go sometimes. Anyway, I also have applications out at JHU, Brandeis, Chicago, and Cornell (but for an Archaeology MA). I'm most hopeful about Brandeis and Cornell at this point, but the former doesn't respond usually until March so I'll be on edge for a while.

haluga: Try to submit it asap. The deadline is on Feb 8th. I submitted mine a few days ago. I think we will not hear from NELC department before that date. I'm not sure if receiving a FLAS fellowship will affect their decision or vice versa. Let's hope we all get good news before mid-Feb.

Almaqah Thwn - I hope at least one of those schools will work out for you. I don't know how soon they'll inform the MA applicants about their decisions. Let's hope you hear good news by mid-Feb. I have applications at Northwestern's history dept. and U of Chicago's NELC's dept. I couldn't apply elsewhere because I cannot relocate. I'm trying my best not to be hopeful. Waiting is torture :wacko:

I'm currently doing my research into grad schools for an MA in Middle Eastern Studies and I figured you all would be a great resource to plumb. How did you pick your schools? I can't seem to find any official ranking of schools, although for my subject it probably wouldn't help much anyway. I'm trying to go for Turkish Studies, not really Ottoman, with a more modern focus, but it's so hard to find schools that have any concentration on Turkey or the Turkic world. 

Good luck to all of you in this stressful waiting period! 

7 hours ago, karawyah said:

ibnbattuta, are you one of the shortlisted applicants at U of Chicago? Is your assumption based on the one 3 minute video request posted on the results' page? If you have more information, please share with us. I'm asking because I don't know that applicant and I have not heard of any other applicant who received a video request. I would like to know if you happened to know any other applicant(s). Is there a chance that any one of us could be wait-listed? On another note, have you all received an email for the FLAS fellowship? Has anyone submitted the FLAS application? - Still talking about U of Chicago. 

Everyone gets the FLAS email. I know some applicants who have received an email request and the email mentions they have made the short list of well qualified applicants and are asked to submit a short 3 minute video. 

From what I understand GRE scores as an important factor and from my experience there is an unstated 90th percentile cutoff for GRE scores there.

I unfortunatey was not one such applicant. Best of luck in your other applications. 

Edited by ibnbattuta

I didn't get the FLAS e-mail but I'm an international applicant so I'd be ineligible anyway. Isn't it conceivable that some applicants might have gone straight to the admit pile? I'm absolutely not saying I'm one of them, I just would rather cultivate a little hope in this tense time, not least for myself.

23 minutes ago, englishmuffin said:

I didn't get the FLAS e-mail but I'm an international applicant so I'd be ineligible anyway. Isn't it conceivable that some applicants might have gone straight to the admit pile? I'm absolutely not saying I'm one of them, I just would rather cultivate a little hope in this tense time, not least for myself.

From my understanding it went out to all those shortlisted.  Low expectations is the name of the game. 

This is the second year I apply for Ph.D. programs. Last year, I did not receive an email regarding FLAS application. I would like to think that receiving the FLAS  info means that I'm shortlisted. But I would like to add that not all the people shortlisted will make it. Therefore, I don't believe that there is a correlation between receiving a FLAS email and getting an offer. Keeping my fingers crossed anyways. On the other hand, I don't think I will get an offer from Northwestern. I noticed that six applicants were accepted and notified yesterday. I guess if I have an offer, I would've been notified too. Oh well! 

englishmuffin, you are absolutely right. It is too early to tell at this stage. NELC usually informs the admitted applicants during the 2nd week of Feb. After Feb 20th - they start informing the wait-listed and the rejected. One can never know his/her chances before then. 

12 minutes ago, karawyah said:

This is the second year I apply for Ph.D. programs. Last year, I did not receive an email regarding FLAS application. I would like to think that receiving the FLAS  info means that I'm shortlisted. But I would like to add that not all the people shortlisted will make it. Therefore, I don't believe that there is a correlation between receiving a FLAS email and getting an offer. Keeping my fingers crossed anyways. On the other hand, I don't think I will get an offer from Northwestern. I noticed that six applicants were accepted and notified yesterday. I guess if I have an offer, I would've been notified too. Oh well! 

This is also my second time applying and I received FLAS notifications both times and it is not an indication of making the shortlist. I know this for a fact because last year my GRE scores did not make the 90th percentile cutoff and I was informed that my application was not even looked at as a result.  I will let you know when the official notices are released. 

Low expectations is the name of the game. 

Edited by ibnbattuta

ibnbatutta... did you hear from them? or you think you won't get an offer? If the GRE scores is an important factor for their evaluation, then I'm in the same boat as you. All my other documents, letters, GPAs, etc are perfect - except for my GRE scores. It is ridiculous that they really count on GRE scores for evaluation. It isn't a fair evaluation at all - not for people in their 30s. The professors I contacted at U of Chicago told me that GRE should not be a concern. There are students who got accepted to Duke and OSU with low GRE scores and low GPAs. 

Ibnbatutta,  - I just saw your msg :P Yeah! please do update me. I am frustrated because I am sure if they look at my work experience, 2 MA degrees (one in Jordan and one at Purdue), 2nd MA GPA 4.0, very strong LORS, a solid SOP with a topic that is doable at U of Chicago (POI said so) - they'd give me a chance to be interviewed at least. Oh well, maybe next year. -_-

Edited by karawyah

10 minutes ago, karawyah said:

Ibnbatutta,  - I just saw your msg :P Yeah! please do update me. I am frustrated because I am sure if they look at my work experience, 2 MA degrees (one in Jordan and one at Purdue), 2nd MA GPA 4.0, very strong LORS, a solid SOP with a topic that is doable at U of Chicago (POI said so) - they'd give me a chance to be interviewed at least. Oh well, maybe next year. -_-

I retook GRE this year got 98th percentile writing 97th verbal but it still wasn't enough. I was told that I didn't make the cut and my application was unsuccessful this year as well :/.

Forunately I have an interview with Emory this week and one with Upenn religion next week. Inshallah things will come through but who knows, it's a terrible process these applications. 

Speaking of of which has anyone heard from UMichigan for interviews?  Last year they sent out interview requests January 28th but I haven't heard anything yet either from colleagues or on gradcafe. 

Edited by ibnbattuta

Ibnbatutta - It's U of Chicago's loss then. How did you know? Did you contact them? I'm thinking of calling them tomorrow to get it off my chest and move on! 

Best of luck with Emory and UPenn. Inshallah both will go well for you. My last question to you is, in case I want to retake the GRE this year, should I just focus on the verbal and AW? Or is the quant score equally important?