Middle Eastern Studies/NELC Masters/PhD

Arm457

Northwestern acceptances are out. Seven applicants got accepted to the Ph.D. history program. Although I haven't received it yet, I'm sure my rejection is on its way to me. I'm now keeping my fingers crossed for U of Chicago. Very low hope of course. Since I'm almost or probably out of the game, best of luck to you all. I hope you all make it to your dream schools this year.

On 1/31/2016 at 8:07 PM, karawyah said:

Ibnbatutta - It's U of Chicago's loss then. How did you know? Did you contact them? I'm thinking of calling them tomorrow to get it off my chest and move on! 

Best of luck with Emory and UPenn. Inshallah both will go well for you. My last question to you is, in case I want to retake the GRE this year, should I just focus on the verbal and AW? Or is the quant score equally important?

I was told by someone close to the admissions process.

As far as I know Verbal is what really matters and, to a certain extent, your AWA scores, but I would be quite surprised if they cared about the quant.  Thank you for the well-wishes.

Also does anyone have experience with the ICIVS interview at Emory? I'm doing over skype as I am not available to travel to Atlanta and just curious as to the range of questions, particularly in terms of specificity about my proposed research project.

Thanks

1 hour ago, Didi87 said:

I applied to near eastern studies. I want to do Arabic Literature. Haven't heard from any, though! :( Have you?

Cool...I'm interested also interested in Arabic literature specifically from the early Islamic period. What schools did you apply to? 

8 hours ago, Didi87 said:

Are you sure about Berkeley? I am worried that they might have sent the admitted this week and the rejected next week. 

No I'm not sure just going off the the dates they admitted people last year (February 10). In any event best of luck. 

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for creating the thread.

I had applied to the PhD at Chicago for NELC, my area of interest is Persian and Comparative literature.

I received an E-mail from the POI and the chair today with the rejection.

Congrats to those who have been accepted.

I was accepted to the PhD program at Chicago for NELC, studying either Hebrew Bible and the ancient Near East or NW Semitics.  Has anyone else here been accepted to Chicago, or to any programs in ancient Near Eastern Studies?

4 hours ago, dahweh said:

I was accepted to the PhD program at Chicago for NELC, studying either Hebrew Bible and the ancient Near East or NW Semitics.  Has anyone else here been accepted to Chicago, or to any programs in ancient Near Eastern Studies?

Congratulations! 

That's wonderful. What other programs are you waiting to hear from?

I have applied to Berkeley, UCLA, Chicago, and Columbia. So far, only heard back from Chicago (rejected from the PhD).

9 hours ago, Mojdeh said:

Congratulations! 

I have applied to Berkeley, UCLA, Chicago, and Columbia. So far, only heard back from Chicago (rejected from the PhD).

Soon inshallah we will know our future. 

Congratulations! 

Thank you!

I have applied to 8 PhD programs in total:  UCLA, Berkeley, Chicago (NELC), UT-Austin (HB/ANE), Brandeis, Yale (Religious Studies), NYU (Hebrew & Judaic Studies), and JHU.  All are programs in ancient Near Eastern Studies (with the exception of Yale).   I have only heard from Chicago and UT-Austin thus far, but I was admitted at both.  I have no idea how to decide between them, however.  UT, Chicago, and Hopkins are all tied for first place in my mind.  Next is Brandeis.  

Congratulations! 

Re Chicago, in which area did you apply?   And are all of the other programs on the ancient side, or are there modern ones thrown in?  

46 minutes ago, dahweh said:

Re Chicago, in which area did you apply?   And are all of the other programs on the ancient side, or are there modern ones thrown in?  

They admit usually 10-11 students split between ancient and modern with modern understood as having to do with Islam. 

8 hours ago, dahweh said:

My area is mostly Classical. I'm interested in Classical Persian Literature. I've applied to some Near Eastern programs and some Comparative Literature programs. 

So far, no acceptances to the Phds as I heard from UChicago last week and Berkeley today. An acceptance would be really nice right about now:)

Given the above explanation for the quotas of the admits and the fact that there are usually no more than 2 professors in the department who are first literary types and focused on Persian lit, the rest of my American applications don't look very bright, either.

But kudos really:-) Those are great schools. Especially Chicago!

Edited by Mojdeh

On February 17, 2016 at 8:13 PM, haluga said:

Hey all, I got accepted to the PhD program at UCLA (NELC - Arabic). I'm really grateful for this as this was one of my top choices. Does anyone else here plan on going to UCLA? 

This is wonderful news!  But given that you have heard from UCLA already, I am guessing that they have sent out all of their acceptances.  Do you think that is likely?   I'm hoping that the remaining decisions come quickly, so we can all get on with it and figure things out already!