Directing MFA 2016? Who else is looking?

voldy24601

Glad everybody is having fun with their Yale interviews! Sort of makes me wish I'd applied.

I've got a more general question as someone going through the application process for the first time. What's the current trend as far as portfolios, especially for interviews? Are they desired at the interviews at all? Electronic or physical? I'm curious about people's experiences. And Quirky, I'm still waiting on New School too. I have a feeling their process is being delayed by the storm.

Haven't heard from CalArts or Washington yet. Such is life. Just booked my flight to Chicago for DePaul. This process gets expensive!

Just wrapped up my Pace interview. It wasn't bad so to speak, but it wasn't the same as Yale. It was shorter, like my CMU interview, and the questions felt a bit weirder. They also apparently don't do final callbacks, which is interesting (unless they do and I already have been cut in their mind, but I doubt it).

@Directorial, of the 5 schools I've applied to, two wanted digital portfolios, one wanted a hard copy, and two didn't want it at first. Not sure if that helps.

Edited by QuirkyDirector

Congrats on all the interviews so far, everyone! It's starting to get really exciting.

We can expect the URTA email tomorrow at the latest - last year she emailed exactly 10 days before, which is when the website promises the schedule.

Remember when you get your schedules that they're subject to change -- you'll get your final schedule the day of the interviews. Last year FSU wasn't on my first schedule, but I emailed them to double check and it turned out to be a mistake.

I was just popping on here to see if others got an email from Long Island. Wasn't sure if they were actually interested in me as a director personally or just e-mailing everyone who is at URTA's. I did a little digging. It looks like an interesting program. I'm fascinated by the idea that you create a company with your fellow MFA students. Though I need a decent financial package to even think about a program and there I couldn't find much information. 

I was also wondering if anyone else had received specific schools for their URTA auditions. Good to know it should be coming soon. @bluebane I e-mailed Northwestern to make sure they got my packet. They said they did and if they were interested in meeting up they would send those e-mails in a "couple of months." 

I have a random question for those who've done URTA's before. I may just be making this more complicated than it needs to be. When a school says look at the "URTA play list" which is King Lear, The Tempest, Intimate Apparel, and Angels in America. Are they just expecting you to have prepared one of those plays or one classic and one contemporary?

I'm stoked to hear that everyone's Yale interviews have gone so well! Mine is on the 1st and I am starting to get nervous and excited about it. Things are starting to really get going!. 

Edited by voldy24601

Let's be honest, guys, Long Island looks like a bust -- they're asking for $30k a year in tuition for a 2 year program, and specify that only up to 3 hours a semester might be reimbursed through work study. You'd be responsible for full living expenses in New York. So financial package is not very good, and the school has absolutely no name recognition. If you're rich enough to afford this, why don't you just go to Columbia or DePaul?

@voldy24601 You're required to be prepared to discuss one of those four plays. The interviewers will usually ask you which one you'd like to discuss. There will be interviews where the reading list isn't mentioned at all, especially if you've got a lot of other interesting stuff to talk about. That being said, I found it helpful to be familiar and prepared for all four plays, and you should especially know King Lear and Tempest, as interviewers will assume you do (it's not exactly kosher to tell an interviewer "actually, I haven't read King Lear"). It's also impressive if you're prepared enough to tell an interviewer that you're willing to discuss any of the four plays. That being said, do not spend your preparation time in this last week cramming on these plays as though it's a college exam. The much more important preparation is to be ready to make a strong case for yourself as to why you're ready for grad school and what you'd bring to a program.

@bluebane Thank you! I am actually prepping to Direct "Lear" in the Spring right now...so I am torn. I will obviously be prepared to discuss Lear, but I'd better come in strong with a second play just in case they ask for something I'm not working on.

@bluebane Yeah, I went ahead an dug up a copy. My college did it right before I left, and though I wasn't involved, I ended up with a script. I'm going to find some time to re-read it and at least familiarize myself with it. 

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 10:40 AM, QuirkyDirector said:

@nomoredeskjobplease, when were you there? My interview was at 2 PM yesterday, and I wonder if I saw you around at all or if you had left by then.

Interviewing with Pace today. Still waiting to hear from New School. I'm assuming if Columbia hasn't contacted me at all by now, that I'm out? I haven't heard a single word from them since the December 1st deadline.

@QuirkyDirector mine was at 4:30pm! I took Metro North in the morning (11:30ish train) and had lunch and  walked around campus. We might have passed each other!

Got my URTA email. Interview with both Illinois State and Indiana. I also reached out and scheduled a private interview with UCF to talk to them about their Theatre for Young Audiences Program. Hope everyone else hears back from URTA's soon!

Did my Yale interview, which marks my first interview of this kind, man it's hard to gauge how it went. There was no foot in mouth moment or anything, but with no other experiences to draw on I just don't know. And now I join you guys in waiting for a response. 

@voldy24601 If it didn't feel bad it was probably great! My interview with Brown was pretty rough and while that sucked it did clue me in that my other interviews actually went well.  I think when its actually bad or you really are not on the same page as the people in the room you will know. Who did you interview with? and did they give you a date to hear back by? 

I interviewed with Liz and we got on well. I thought. Though she did make it clear there was a lot of tough competition this year. She was super welcoming and open. @mwatt I'm sorry to hear that your Brown interview didn't go over well. She didn't tell me when notifications would be sent out. But she did say the callback interviews on the Yale campus would be Feb 20 and 21st...so I can't imagine it would be to long. I assume they want to give people time to prepare for those. 

So I'm impatient. I e-mailed Yale and asked when they were making decisions about the second interview. They said they would be contacting people the week of Feb 8-12. So...we'll have to wait a little longer.

Best of luck!