Directing MFA 2016? Who else is looking?

voldy24601

Hey All,

Been lurking for awhile, but wanted to weigh in about Carnegie Mellon. I was an alternate there a number of years back and they accidentally sent me a form rejection letter from their playwrighting program, after having been their alternate candidate for Directing. When I contacted them they were super embarrassed, turns out I wasn't even supposed to have gotten a rejection letter period yet at that point as they hadn't settled their class. This was after accidentally scheduling me for a stage management interview or something at the beginning and a number of other weird things along the way.  I was on and off the waitlist a few times and it took until July to straighten out.  I'm pretty sure if I had been accepted at that point I would have turned them down.  Considering there were only 6 final candidates and that all of the communication up until the accidental rejection was very personal and fairly informal, I was pretty appalled. Had really hoped they'd figured out their admin problems in the intervening years, but alas, apparently not.  Certainly does not reflect well on the program. Sucks they are still such a mess for you guys! 

Wow, this really is so crazy about Carnegie. I figured Caden was the weird element in the program, but it sounds like there's weirdness all over the place! Congratulations @UnrulyMop on your Washington acceptance! That's huge!! I accepted a place in DePaul's class yesterday ?

@UnrulyMop Congratulation thats awesome!! I am originally from Seattle and its a beautiful place to live with some really wonderful theater!

@mr.taco and @mlev80 yep wired and tacky is seems to sum up the CMU experience.

And Congrats on accepting DePaul's offer Mr. Taco!  

Edited by mwatt

Got my official offer from Indiana today and mailed out my acceptance -- can't believe the relief of having this whole thing be over!

Congrats, everybody on a hard-fought campaign this year... whether you ended up with a spot or not, we should all be really proud of surviving the ridiculous application process. 

As things start to wind down, I'll probably stop checking this forum regularly, so if anybody is looking back on this thread next year and wants to drop me a line, please feel free: my email is makeshiftmilitia@gmail.com. I'd be happy to help in any way I can.

April, Chris, and everyone else from this thread -- it was such a pleasure to meet you guys, and please keep in touch about everything!

Good luck to you @bluebane! And congrats to all who got in to programs. Good luck to those who didn't. I'm still waiting for Northwestern to respond. They said they won't be sending it until late this week or next. Fingers crossed. Gods speed to those embarking on their journeys. 

for anyone who still cares...

wrote to admissions at CMU a couple of times over the past couple of weeks and called and left a voicemail. finally received an email apologizing for taking so long, saying that letters will be mailed shortly, but the class has already been decided (which is no surprise -- I just want the rejection so I can ask for feedback on the application).

Whatever. MAKE KICK ASS THEATER, EVERYONE. TAKE RISKS. GO BIG. Grad school or not, MAKE YOUR MARK.

• 1 year later...

Hey friends! 

I'm applying for Fall 2018 admissions in stage management at Yale, Columbia, and UCSD. Pretty nervous about it. I applied to Yale in 2016 for theatre management, but my heart wasn't really in it then (turned it in on the last day and didn't ask my recommenders in advance), so I didn't get an interview. Really my parents were the ones pushing me to apply because they hate me living in New York. 

This time I feel completely different about applying. I actually wanted to do it. I turned in everything on 12/29 - it's later for us non directors (Columbia 1/4, UCSD 1/9, and Yale 2/1). I feel super qualified, however, I'm still very nervous. My New Year's resolution is to not lose my shit if I don't get in. 

It anyone hears dates for interviews that going around, can you let me know? I am dying to know. UCSD said they would start interviews early February, not sure if that means start inviting people to interview or actual interviews beginning.... any ideas?

Best of s'luck to everyone!

• 2 months later...

Hey all! Designer lurking...any Set Designers hear from Yale? It's the only school I haven't heard back from yet after what felt like a pretty decent interview--the last time we emailed, they said they wouldn't have any info until after March 28th (which is seemingly later than for most of the other disciplines), but tomorrow's the first and I'm starting to get a little nervous...tried getting in touch yesterday and no one picked up the phone....

realized this is an old thread...going to find a newer one....

Edited by theatregal
realized this was an old post