Chemistry Application Fall 2016

ChemEnthusiast

10 hours ago, Organic for days said:

I'm not sure, a lot of schools will just plain accept you, but I know that schools are more likely to interview international applicants rather than accept them right away, whether that be over Skype or in person.

And what do interviewers usually cover? I'm assuming the usual topics - research, goals, etc

1 hour ago, metallocene2015 said:

Congrats ! I also applied to UWashington but I haven't heard anything yet- what division are you applying to ? 

Thanks! I applied for analytical. Seems like they will release many more on January if they follow last year's footsteps.

1 hour ago, NoOrgoPlease said:

Anyone apply to Princeton? That's my top choice and am waiting nervously for that rejection email. :huh:

I applied to Princeton too, it looks like responses typically come out the beginning of the third week of January: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Princeton+chemistry. No need to worry quite yet!

Also, nice name ;).

Edited by Organic for days

Is anyone applying to Stanford? Clearly they have received all my LORs and official transcripts as they updated the website like 2 weeks ago but my status is still "Incomplete". I am not worrying too much as Stanford admission team seemed to be nice in recent years when they emailed people to let them know when their application was missing something. I would email them to ask but the uni website says it's close for Xmas.
Wonder anyone is like me. That might mean they somehow haven't updated everyone's status yet at all.

Edited by fluorineforlife

1 hour ago, fluorineforlife said:

Is anyone applying to Stanford? Clearly they have received all my LORs and official transcripts as they updated the website like 2 weeks ago but my status is still "Incomplete". I am not worrying too much as Stanford admission team seemed to be nice in recent years when they emailed people to let them know when their application was missing something. I would email them to ask but the uni website says it's close for Xmas.
Wonder anyone is like me. That might mean they somehow haven't updated everyone's status yet at all.

Mine says completed (and I submitted the app on the last day). It does say they'll contact you if they're missing anything though

2 hours ago, Orgo for days said:

I applied to Princeton too, it looks like responses typically come out the beginning of the third week of January: http://thegradcafe.com/survey/index.php?q=Princeton+chemistry. No need to worry quite yet!

Also, nice name ;).

Oh, thanks! Didn't even think to look at that. I see we have some differences in research interest :D. 

5 hours ago, sarl said:

Mine says completed (and I submitted the app on the last day). It does say they'll contact you if they're missing anything though

Thanks for the info. I submitted the app and paid well before the deadline (probably 3rd week of Nov or something). My transcripts although had to fly from the UK, arrived about 2 weeks ago. And they still haven't changed the status. Seem like I don't need to sweat over this and just let them enjoy their Christmas.

Hey all!

Wanted to get some input on my profile since some of you have already been accepted! I applied to Berkeley, UNC, Colorado Boulder, Washington, and Notre Dame.

Stats:

Chem major and math minor; GRE- 160 V, 163 Q, 4.0 AW; 3 years research experience @ university; 1 summer program at my university and 1 international REU; Chem GPA 4.0, Overall GPA 3.97; 3 conference presentations (A poster at PITTCON in which I won an award, a poster at ACS 2015, and a presentation at a symposium on international research at ACS 2015); General, Orgo, and Analytical Tutor; Orgo and Analytical Academic Fellow; Work in the stock room of my school's chem department

I haven't heard from any university yet, although, I didn't submit any applications until mid-late November. The waiting is obviously a little nerve-wracking, so just thought I'd see what some other people thought.

Thanks for taking a look!

8 hours ago, ChemEnergy said:

Hey all!

Wanted to get some input on my profile since some of you have already been accepted! I applied to Berkeley, UNC, Colorado Boulder, Washington, and Notre Dame.

Stats:

Chem major and math minor; GRE- 160 V, 163 Q, 4.0 AW; 3 years research experience @ university; 1 summer program at my university and 1 international REU; Chem GPA 4.0, Overall GPA 3.97; 3 conference presentations (A poster at PITTCON in which I won an award, a poster at ACS 2015, and a presentation at a symposium on international research at ACS 2015); General, Orgo, and Analytical Tutor; Orgo and Analytical Academic Fellow; Work in the stock room of my school's chem department

I haven't heard from any university yet, although, I didn't submit any applications until mid-late November. The waiting is obviously a little nerve-wracking, so just thought I'd see what some other people thought.

Thanks for taking a look!

I was accepted into Notre Dame in November with a much lower stats than yours and I also submitted mid November. I think my current research project fits one of their group really well. I think you should be able to get an acceptance from them with your stat. I dont know about other schools so I cant give you any insight but your stats seem impressive so I think you have a good chance with each of them. Most school will send out their decision in the week of 1/4 so dont worry about it too much and enjoy your holidays. 

Edited by ChemEnthusiast

2 hours ago, ChemEnthusiast said:

I was accepted into Notre Dame in November with a much lower stats than yours and I also submitted mid November. I think my current research project fits one of their group really well. I think you should be able to get an acceptance from them with your stat. I dont know about other schools so I cant give you any insight but your stats seem impressive so I think you have a good chance with each of them. Most school will send out their decision in the week of 1/4 so dont worry about it too much and enjoy your holidays. 

Awesome, thanks a lot answering. My last LOR submitted on like 11/30 so I figured that didn't leave very much time for the possibility of early acceptances. Enjoy your holidays as well and goo luck with the rest of your apps!