Theatre/performance 2016 MA and PhD applicants

directeur

8 hours ago, skw0007 said:

I heard from Harvey Young a couple of days ago. I was accepted into the IPTD at northwestern (pending approval of the dean.  I hope you got similar good news!

Congratulations @skw0007! And yes, I also received the call from Harvey Young to say I'd got in!

I will almost certainly be attending Northwestern since it was my top choice for theatre. We may yet be Evanston drama buddies! I'd love to pm about research etc if you decide NU is the place for you.

17 hours ago, skw0007 said:

I heard from Harvey Young a couple of days ago. I was accepted into the IPTD at northwestern (pending approval of the dean.  I hope you got similar good news!

Finally heard back from Columbia--rejected. Was also recently rejected from Brown after interviewing with them. 

So even though I am still waiting to hear back from NYU, I am very happy with the options that I have: Berkeley, Minnesota, Tufts, and Northwestern. If anybody has any info they want to share about these programs id love to read it. 

9 hours ago, talkingscop said:

Congratulations @skw0007! And yes, I also received the call from Harvey Young to say I'd got in!

I will almost certainly be attending Northwestern since it was my top choice for theatre. We may yet be Evanston drama buddies! I'd love to pm about research etc if you decide NU is the place for you.

Congratulations to both of you! Northwestern was my dream program and I couldn't get in; I'm extremely happy for you fellas :)
BTW skw0007 , I think if your research interests are rooted in performance studies (especially non-art performance studies) Berkeley is the perfect place; but, if you (like me) prefer a balance between theatre studies and performance studies, I believe no place is more suited than Northwestern. The great thing about NW-IPIT program is the fact that it is based in Communication school; so, you literary have many possibilities in other programs (especially, well, PS program!).

I really wished to have a chance to work with Dr. Davis, Dr. Young and also, Dr. Chambers-Letson (he's in PS department). You're now the subject of many people's jealousy! You simply rock :)
Once again, congrats to you both friends; I hope our paths can cross one day. :)  

P.S: Finally, I committed to BGSU and accepted their offer; I did a thorough research and I'm confident now it's a great place for PhD. It's not a premium or Ivy League, but they are very well-known and recognized. So, yeah, good luck all of us!

On 7 March 2016 at 7:07 PM, mrbabaee said:

P.S: Finally, I committed to BGSU and accepted their offer; I did a thorough research and I'm confident now it's a great place for PhD. It's not a premium or Ivy League, but they are very well-known and recognized. So, yeah, good luck all of us!

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll have a great time at BGSU! 

If anybody else on this thread has any good news to share with the forum, please do - it's great to hear about people getting set up for the next part of their lives. We're all embarking on a new phase of the theatre/drama/PS academic journey and it's brilliant to be able to share that journey with others. Hurrah for collegiality!

On 3/9/2016 at 7:35 AM, talkingscop said:

Congratulations! I'm sure you'll have a great time at BGSU! 

If anybody else on this thread has any good news to share with the forum, please do - it's great to hear about people getting set up for the next part of their lives. We're all embarking on a new phase of the theatre/drama/PS academic journey and it's brilliant to be able to share that journey with others. Hurrah for collegiality!

I am just a wee M.A. prospective (aiming towards an eventual PhD), but I have been accepted to both UPittsburgh and Florida State University for this upcoming fall! Very excited to take the next step. 

Are there any other MA candidates here?

1 hour ago, Maeterlinck18 said:

I am just a wee M.A. prospective (aiming towards an eventual PhD), but I have been accepted to both UPittsburgh and Florida State University for this upcoming fall! Very excited to take the next step. 

Are there any other MA candidates here?

I've been accepted to MA programs at UW-Madison, University of Oregon, and NYU.  Still waiting on 3 schools, but I'm so glad to know I'm heading to grad school!  

4 minutes ago, directeur said:

I've been accepted to MA programs at UW-Madison, University of Oregon, and NYU.  Still waiting on 3 schools, but I'm so glad to know I'm heading to grad school!  

Congratulations on your acceptances! Let me know if you have any questions about PS at NYU :)

1 hour ago, Maeterlinck18 said:

4 minutes ago, directeur said:

Congratulations to you both! Have fun deciding which offers to take :D

On 3/11/2016 at 9:54 PM, skw0007 said:

Any phd applicants heard anything from NYU yet?

nope. saw a post on the results search under 'tisch' not even nyu that said there was an email that said 4 applicants accepted and that all of them would hear yesterday, march 11th, and the rest would get emails from graduate arts and sciences to confirm rejection

hoping it's a troll

and/or wondering why the review period that they notified us about went until march 13th, if they were going to make decisions by the friday instead...

i'm betting it was a rejection for me since i didn't do my master's there (even though i've curated performance art festivals, performed alongside vaginal davis, run a non profit artist collective, and had a bomb ass project on curation as care thinking through trans-ness, disability, and race as curated performances of 'good patients' deemed worthy of care)

i'm not bitter at all......

• 2 weeks later...

Hey fellow Performing Art grads. Did anyone apply to Davis for the PhD in Performance Studies? I still haven't heard back! I emailed the administrator over a week ago but no answer. Its getting kind of late in the day to hold onto hope... love to hear from anyone who has applied too!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, all!  It's been a long admissions season, and I'm eager to hear where everyone is going.

I ended up with 2a/2w/2r/1?.  I was offered a tuition scholarship and an assistantship at Bowling Green, and a similar funding package at Texas Tech.  I was waitlisted at Minnesota and Pittsburgh - both of which were very kind and encouraging.  I was rejected pretty early on by WUSTL and Missouri.  I had a brief but friendly email from Irvine, but haven't heard anything since.

After some serious evaluation, I decided to take the offer at BGSU.  I'm really excited about the way they combine scholarship and practice, about the faculty, and about the overall structure of the program.

Hoping everyone has happy news to share!

1 hour ago, TAPS 2016 said:

Hi, all!  It's been a long admissions season, and I'm eager to hear where everyone is going.

I ended up with 2a/2w/2r/1?.  I was offered a tuition scholarship and an assistantship at Bowling Green, and a similar funding package at Texas Tech.  I was waitlisted at Minnesota and Pittsburgh - both of which were very kind and encouraging.  I was rejected pretty early on by UT and Missouri.  I had a brief but friendly email from Irvine, but haven't heard anything since.

After some serious evaluation, I decided to take the offer at BGSU.  I'm really excited about the way they combine scholarship and practice, about the faculty, and about the overall structure of the program.

Congratulations! :) 

18 hours ago, TAPS 2016 said:

I ended up with 2a/2w/2r/1?.  I was offered a tuition scholarship and an assistantship at Bowling Green, and a similar funding package at Texas Tech.  I was waitlisted at Minnesota and Pittsburgh - both of which were very kind and encouraging.  I was rejected pretty early on by UT and Missouri.  I had a brief but friendly email from Irvine, but haven't heard anything since.

Congrats buddy! I've also accepted BGSU offer (the same deal as yours). I'm going to send you a message to know each other more. How exciting! 

I'm trying to decide between Tufts, WashU, and SUNY Buffalo. I know it may not seen like a difficult choice, but for one, I have to move, and possibly incur debt because of extreme living expenses, and with the other, there will be no debt at all. Does anyone have any advice?

Funding/finances are a big part of the decision making process. I know that I personally don’t want to go into (more) debt over a PhD program, so when I made my choice, making a budget and finding affordable housing was a big part of that. Now, that’s not to say it’s the ONLY factor, because it certainly shouldn’t be. My best recommendations would be 1) to make a budget and weigh that option against a cheaper and/or possibly better funded location/school, 2) make sure you’re picking the best school for you, and not just considering the name and reputation or the funding. Both reputation and funding are huge parts of the process, but really can’t be the only considerations. Make sure you’re considering what professors you want to work with, who will actually be helpful for you and the work you want to do. Consider if the pedagogical approach of the school aligns with your interests. Which school will ACTUALLY set you up best for success? You probably considered a lot of this as you were applying, but I think that it’s important to return to this, rather than looking just at the funding vs. reputation.  Hope this helps! Good luck!

5 hours ago, geekerjoy said:

Which school will ACTUALLY set you up best for success?

I second what @geekerjoy says, but particularly the point above. The PhD is a long haul and dreams and aspirations may well change over that period, but even now you probably have some idea of what you want to do afterwards. Which university will best help you on the way to whatever that is? Look at the placement history of each program to see whether its grads have gone on to do the type of academic/practical work in the type(s) of places you want to work in (or out of). What program is best for you will depend not just on shared interests and pedagogical approaches whilst you're studying but also on whether afterwards you aim to be a researcher, researcher-practitioner, practitioner-lecturer, dramaturg, arts librarian etc. If a program isn't generally sending people out into the field/profession in which you're most interested it doesn't mean, of course, that you can't still plough that furrow yourself, but it may be harder or the uni/program may not be so well set up to give you the best professionalization training /connections in your particular area. So do think about post-doctoral life as well as the best fit for you for the duration of your PhD studies. You want both 'success' in your PhD itself and 'success' in where it takes you afterwards. Yes, I'm sure you've thought about this already, but just plonking this issue here on the thread in case it helps anyone at all :D

• 8 months later...

Hope all your PhDs are going great! I have applied to NYU, Stanford, WashU, Maryland, Northwestern,UCD,UCB and Brown - for fall 2017... If any of you visit this thread by chance, could you give me some advise about the interviews - especially if anyone knows a bit more about these specific TAPS interviews? Or about anything related to these applications - I'm so tensed!