Critical Language Scholarship 2016

zephyri

So the trouble is, everyone has been taught weird languages like Turkish in different ways and in different contexts. I was actually one of the weird fringe students when I went in and they put me in a lower class than I probably should have been in. You are allowed to move if you discuss it and feel like there has been a mistake. I moved and was also unhappy. In a strict grammar language like Turkish, it was more useful for me to stay in a lower level to review and learn. Actually, class 2 and class 3 will end in similar places if you have a motivated class. I had a very motivated class and teacher so we were on the move. Plus, with Turkish the first two levels of grammar are the most important. Everything else is just a bonus. So, like adlastirma-- that crap takes work! My teacher for the first few weeks gave me extra stuff to work on so I didn't get bored then it was hard for me just like everyone else and they caught up. 

I was also kind of strange because I knew a lot of slang (and swear words!), how people talked in an informal/friendly setting, and my comprehension was mega-high. 

To add on to the previous mentions of stipends, does anyone have a ballpark figure for stipends for the Chinese programs specifically? I am a freshman (and therefore don't make/have tons of money lol) without financial support from my parents for extracurriculars like CLS, so it'd be nice to know how much I should start to budget for the program. Also, does anyone know what the situation with meals is? My program is dorming instead of living with a host family, so would we be purchasing our own meals or would those be provided? Many thanks to you all for being so helpful!

Ok, I'll try to answer the stipend question as best I can: 

I don't know how much money students going to China receive nor how it is structured if you don't live with a family. However, I do know that the stipend directly correlates with how much you are expected to purchase for yourself. Typically, the CLS ensures that breakfast and dinner are provided by families. If there is a way, I'm sure they will make sure you have those meals provided by the institute. If not, my understanding is that they increase your stipend to cover the amount. That system might actually work better for you if you're trying to be conservative with your stipend to travel as you can choose cheaper meals. 

Edited by emb

Thanks, you two!

@emb, I think I might be in a similar situation to what you were in with Turkish. I tried to learn through immersion my first two years studying it, so I just went to Turkey and did stuff there. But without the classroom experience, I ended up knowing no grammar and just being able to talk without knowing why any of it worked. I can understand things at a pretty high level, but I speak like a little child because I don't use grammar when I talk. It's a really weird mix. I've learned a lot of grammar the past summer and this year, though, so I feel like I might be able to test into advanced, but you're right that a lower level for a language like Turkish is helpful no matter where you're at. I'll put aside my perfectionist hopes and just be glad to get into any sort of class. :D

@pdh12, that sounds like fluency to me. Haha! Seriously, I don't know the word peacock in Turkish. :3

I haven't even heard back as to when my test will be. I'm afraid something went wrong because I emailed and filled out that form that went to the testing organization but never heard from them about a date.

4 minutes ago, mrs12 said:

@pdh12, that sounds like fluency to me. Haha! Seriously, I don't know the word peacock in Turkish. :3

I haven't even heard back as to when my test will be. I'm afraid something went wrong because I emailed and filled out that form that went to the testing organization but never heard from them about a date.

I had the same problem regarding the OPI. I completed LTI's online form the same day my program received an email about registering for it. I requested to take the OPI on much earlier dates but I never received a confirmation email and both dates that I requested to take the OPI had passed so I called them Tuesday. The lady who I spoke with resent the confirmation to the email I registered with twice, but for whatever reason itnever came. I gave her a new e mail address, it finally sent to that one, and she rescheduled my OPI for a day this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to give someone hope: A girl who received the Boren will be unable to attend CLS for Urdu as a result. Keep your fingers crossed! 

6 hours ago, Ellabella said:

Still no word from any Chinese Alternates? (Just a desperate girl looking for a sliver of hope)

I haven't heard back either–I got an email a couple of weeks ago asking if I wanted to remain on the waiting list (I was assigned to Tainan). I'm still on the waiting list, but I have a backup scholarship and program ready (in Taipei) in case I end up not winning, so I'll go abroad no matter what.

On 3/7/2016 at 3:24 PM, bilqeesd said:

Omg I'm a finalist!!!! What are the odds :lol::D:lol::D if any other Korea finalist are here, let's get to know each other!!!!! I don't use Facebook too often but if you want to kakao, let me know!

Hi! This is my first post - but I'm a finalist for Korea too!! It's so exciting!!!!!!

Hello all! So as my previous comment says, I haven't posted before today, but I'm a finalist for Korean! I was an Alternate and I got bumped up to Finalist on April 11th. BEST DAY THIS MONTH. And my birthday was this month ;)

Is anyone else on here going to Korea?

A word to Alternatives - YOU CAN GET PROMOTED. THERE IS HOPE. Good luck! <3

16 hours ago, GabGirl said:

Hello all! So as my previous comment says, I haven't posted before today, but I'm a finalist for Korean! I was an Alternate and I got bumped up to Finalist on April 11th. BEST DAY THIS MONTH. And my birthday was this month ;)

Is anyone else on here going to Korea?

A word to Alternatives - YOU CAN GET PROMOTED. THERE IS HOPE. Good luck! <3

Congrats!! There's a closed Facebook group for finalists (CLS Korean 2016), so if you're interested you should join!

I got an email today that I had been promoted from Hindi alternate to finalist. Not sure if I'll sleep tonight as I am frantic with joy.

I'm so frustrated right now... Ahh, but it's really sort of my fault, I think.

So there's been trouble with the CLS Turkey program this year. Because of security threats they kept moving the site location, and giving us warnings, and finally, they offered us all a chance to back out because of the security threat being upped by the state department. My study abroad office strongly urged me to back out of the CLS, since there was no penalty, and they didn't want me going to Turkey this summer due to the situation there. So after asking the program about their chances of running versus not running, etc, they told me they couldn't say for sure and I ended up rescinding my offer.

And now it turns out they moved the program to Azerbaijan. Which my school would have had no problem with me going to or getting summer credit from...

I just wish I had known that they would consider moving to Azerbaijan. I wish there'd been a lot more transparency with this whole thing. So now I'm really regretting pulling out. 

But I'm so happy to hear of all the alternates being picked! I hope someone gets my spot and really enjoys their summer! <3

On 4/26/2016 at 11:09 AM, bilqeesd said:

Congrats!! There's a closed Facebook group for finalists (CLS Korean 2016), so if you're interested you should join!

Thanks! I'm on there now XD

• 6 months later...