Critical Language Scholarship 2016

zephyri

And wIll they let the rejects off easy? As in, will we have to wait till After the first round of acceptances till we find out we're not in?  I hate to sound pessimistic...but hopes are high

22 hours ago, pdh12 said:

And wIll they let the rejects off easy? As in, will we have to wait till After the first round of acceptances till we find out we're not in?  I hate to sound pessimistic...but hopes are high

Judging from having read the previous year's forums, I believe everyone is informed at the same time for the first round.

I know this won't make me feel any better if I don't get chosen, but from those of you who did this program before, what exactly was it like? I've heard that you spend most of your day in classes, but is there extra learning that isn't just classroom experiences? What do you do in the afternoons? Do you ever have free time to be with your host family or practice out on the streets? 

And if you do spend most of your time in class, what sort of classes was it like? Was there a particular style of teaching that CLS favors? (I know that probably changes for each language, but I'm still curious.)

10 hours ago, mrs12 said:

I know this won't make me feel any better if I don't get chosen, but from those of you who did this program before, what exactly was it like? I've heard that you spend most of your day in classes, but is there extra learning that isn't just classroom experiences? What do you do in the afternoons? Do you ever have free time to be with your host family or practice out on the streets? 

And if you do spend most of your time in class, what sort of classes was it like? Was there a particular style of teaching that CLS favors? (I know that probably changes for each language, but I'm still curious.)

If you google enough about CLS, all this stuff is easily findable. I found entire vlogs and blogs dedicated to a person's experience in the program for my chosen country. And I actually told myself to stop reading/watching because I didn't want to spoil everything if I got it!

Edited by philosonista

Hello everyone!

I applied to the Arabic program for the first time this year but I, of course, have very modest expectations. I do look forward to hearing back from CLS in January though. I feel like I'll be obsessively checking my inbox by the middle of the month lol. Best of luck to all who applied! Has anyone else here applied for Arabic?

-AM

@SkyLy Thanks for answering my question, sorry I lost my login for a while and forgot to check back. I can't tell if I'm relieved about not having more essays, or if I was sort of hoping for an extra chance to shine... there is so much more I have thought about since submitting my app that I wish I had put into my essays! But you're right, the wait is excruciating. I will probably have more questions if I get in, but until I find out, I'm trying not to think about it too much!  (and as you know, that's quite tough >.< )

10 more days, if they follow the previous year's timeline! I wonder if things will be a little bit later this year though because of the issue at the beginning with submitting applications on their website.

I'm getting nervous. This is the only funded summer program for my language, although I've been accepted into one other summer program I'm not sure yet if they'll offer the language level I need. (Plus summer language programs are super expensive!)

@mrs12 I went to Turkey last year for CLS, so if you have any questions, I can answer them for you! Also, you should check out ARIT, they also fund advanced Turkish studies over the summer.

As for the questions you asked - we were in class M-F from 9-1, and we had office hours we could go to as well. You have cultural excursions throughout the summer, and you will have lots of time to spend with your host family and your language partner (you have to meet with the twice a week for at least an hour). You can travel on the weekends and over Bayram. However, my suggestion would be to try not to travel too much, if you do go, because you an fall into using too much English if you do. 

@pickadiscipline Thanks for reminding me about ARIT! I had heard of it but had forgotten over time, the deadline is soon too so I'll be sure to take a more serious look now! 

Which location were you at, if you don't mind telling me? It seems like Ankara and Bursa are the popular spots for the CLS. I really hope things get better soon, I was supposed to go to Ankara over this winter break but then my program was cancelled due to safety concerns. But I do think that Bursa is a pretty safe place in general. (Though in the summer I can imagine it would be sweltering. XP)

Could you tell me how the classes were structured for your language level? I've had so many different types of Turkish teachers, and that's my biggest worry. I've always heard that the CLS is the most comprehensive summer program, but at the same time, I've done summer programs where the teaching was just very poor and also others where it was amazing so you never know. Does the classroom work totally in immersion? Is it a lot of grammar and memorization? Or mostly just speaking? I'm hopeful to get both, ideally. Though I would imagine all that time with your tutor and host family would help your speaking abilities.

Thanks for your information! :D

Here is the response I received, so I guess we will wait. :) 

"Thank you for your enquiry. There is no delay in the notification timeline.Each applicant will be contacted by email in mid-late January with notification of the status of their application following the initial review process. Applicants who move past the initial review process will be notified of their status as a scholarship recipient, alternate or non-recipient in mid-late February. If you have any further questions, just let me know."

I applied for intermediate arabic; this is my first time. I am worried about grammar, even though my school helped look it over. Some of the questions I was not sure how to answer. waitingggggggg