Critical Language Scholarship 2016

zephyri

On 1/23/2016 at 5:56 PM, clshopeful said:

Anyone else feel like the decision might be further delayed by this freak snow storm we're having on the east coast? I'm getting anxious... hopefully we'll know by Friday! 

Ewww. I did not consider that but it could be a possibility. I would just like to get this decision out of the way so I can go on living my life.

I agree it will be delayed- looking at the WPost page, the federal government will be closed today, and metro service limited.  I would be very surprised if American Councils expected their staff to come in under those conditions.  I also hope we'll find out by Friday!

2 hours ago, zephyri said:

I agree it will be delayed- looking at the WPost page, the federal government will be closed today, and metro service limited.  I would be very surprised if American Councils expected their staff to come in under those conditions.  I also hope we'll find out by Friday!

Ahhh! And I was so excited that today was a business day!

On 1/23/2016 at 7:42 PM, Carterware said:

Has anyone heard any rumors about where the Swahili program will be based? It is the first year they are offering the language, but they still haven't posted a location...

Well my guess based on knowledge of the Swahili speaking world would be Nairobi or Mombasa. Though I suppose it could also take place somewhere in Tanzania.

Based on the political climate in Kenya right now, I would put my money on Tanzania. Probably Dar es Salaam or Arusha. There was also a brochure that listed possible countries and it said Tanzania, but not Kenya.

2 hours ago, aesselstein said:

Based on the political climate in Kenya right now, I would put my money on Tanzania. Probably Dar es Salaam or Arusha. There was also a brochure that listed possible countries and it said Tanzania, but not Kenya.

There was a brochure? I hope it's Arusha...

They only have two days to give out decisions!

Now I'm fearing they'll break precedence and tell us in February. 

And can I say it slightly weird/comforting that ya'll come on here to share your impatience/excitement. Haha!

Edited by philosonista

1 hour ago, mrs12 said:

Congratulations on the Gilman! Is that for this summer as well or next year?

Neither actually. I received the Gilman for last Spring (2015) and spent a whole semester (about 4 months) in Japan with it. It was nerve wracking but I was so glad when I received it.

Well, I'm betting today or tomorrow. Looked back at 2014, and we were notified on a Thursday afternoon and Friday afternoon (right near closing time, like 4-5pm) in January and February.  I think they send out the notifications in the afternoon to reduce the volume of calls they might receive.  Though if they make announcements on a Thursday, they'll still get people calling on Friday. Just speculation though! Can't do much else while we wait :)

my first ever application at the national level and it's nerve wracking..Just a freshman though so if I don't get it I'll have the opportunity to try again hopefully! :) But if I don't get in I'd love to know why. Does anyone lese drive themselves crazy thinking about what in the application caused a rejection?

37 minutes ago, Sarah212 said:

my first ever application at the national level and it's nerve wracking..Just a freshman though so if I don't get it I'll have the opportunity to try again hopefully! :) But if I don't get in I'd love to know why. Does anyone lese drive themselves crazy thinking about what in the application caused a rejection?

After you've applied to so many things, you begin to realize winning things is a bit of a crapshoot and tend not to dwell on things you haven't won. I'm pretty well decorated with accolades, but if I think about it honestly, I've only won about 1/3 of everything for which I've tried. It's a crapshoot.