Critical Language Scholarship 2016

zephyri

Not yet, ahhh!

Also, the thing I hate most about not getting into programs is not knowing what I did wrong in my application. At this sort of level we're all equal in our interests and dedications, I tend to assume, so a lot of it is simply knowing what they're looking for. Sometimes that helps me keep perspective as to why I get into some programs but not others. At the end of the day, we're all equal candidates I believe. :D

Congratulations, Zephyri!

1 minute ago, mrs12 said:

Not yet, ahhh!

Also, the thing I hate most about not getting into programs is not knowing what I did wrong in my application. At this sort of level we're all equal in our interests and dedications, I tend to assume, so a lot of it is simply knowing what they're looking for. Sometimes that helps me keep perspective as to why I get into some programs but not others. At the end of the day, we're all equal candidates I believe. :D

Congratulations, Zephyri!

Thanks mrs12!  I hope they will send the emails out today.  I'm not in the US, but isn't it after closing time on the east coast?  Maybe they work late!

Good luck to you, and the other posters, and all our lurkers :)

1 hour ago, The Leviathan said:

Sadly I was rejected for Japanese. Any Japanese semi-finalists? My friend was rejected too; ironically we were both Gilman recipients last year too.

@The Leviathan i created an account just for you, especially since i don't think any other japanese applicants have posted on here - i did get the e-mail for selection as a semifinalist and that's what actually led me to this forum. i also plan on applying for gilman this year since i'll be studying abroad this fall, regardless.

i'm sorry to hear you didn't make it, i was imagining asking around for 'the leviathan' in the snowball's chance i make it in. unfortunately i have a stunning history of making it to the last cut...and getting cut >_> to illustrate, i just got my JLPT N3 results just yesterday and scored a 94...when a 95+ is needed to pass, otl. still, i have a tiny flicker of hope, at least.

6 hours ago, pdh12 said:

Semi-finalist! o snap, the real pain begins....

So true... Another month of agony, but I am so grateful to have made it to semifinals that it's worth it either way. 

Anyone else hear back for Indonesian? How about you @clshopeful?

7 hours ago, idreamofskyy said:

@The Leviathan i created an account just for you, especially since i don't think any other japanese applicants have posted on here - i did get the e-mail for selection as a semifinalist and that's what actually led me to this forum. i also plan on applying for gilman this year since i'll be studying abroad this fall, regardless.

i'm sorry to hear you didn't make it, i was imagining asking around for 'the leviathan' in the snowball's chance i make it in. unfortunately i have a stunning history of making it to the last cut...and getting cut >_> to illustrate, i just got my JLPT N3 results just yesterday and scored a 94...when a 95+ is needed to pass, otl. still, i have a tiny flicker of hope, at least.

Congratulations! I'm wishing you the best luck moving on to the next round. I'm sorry about your JLPT score, I have yet to take it since my school no longer offers Japanese so I'm doing a lot of self study. The JLPT can be quite unforgiving though, from what I've heard.

It's amazing that so many of us made it through this first cut (I'm sorry to those that have to try again). In '14 I was a semi-finalist, but didn't make it to the end; it was a bit tragic. 

Someone quoted some odds earlier in this thread....does anyone know what the chances were of becoming a semi-finalist, then the chances of being a finalist? It's horrible that some of us won't get chosen, still (including potentially me). 

Edit: I found this for last year: "Out of 5519 applicants, 550 were selected"... I wonder how many more than the 550 of us there are right now o.o

Edited by pdh12