Critical Language Scholarship 2016

zephyri

I've had a few dreams that I got accepted, but something always went wrong/stressful, like one time I forgot to pack and they were calling me saying it was time to leave...I woke up so stressed out! I think it reflects my simultaneous feeling of having a decent chance at acceptance and feeling like I have no chance at all... anyone else go back and forth like this? I really hope the agony ends today (and if I get accepted, I'll pack way in advance ^.~ )

Hey everybody, I've been a lurker here for a while and finally decided to register and contribute, haha. 

I applied to the Japan program and am waiting back on the final decision from the second round. Was more than surprised when I became a finalist! 

I really hope they keep their word about the timeframe and get us the results by today. I started a new job recently and they really want to know in the coming weeks whether I'll be able to work full time over the summer. Since I was anticipating results to be out by today, I told them I'd be able to tell them of my decision by mid-March. Seems like this won't be happening if results actually won't be coming out for another few weeks. 

Honestly puts me in quite a difficult position :\

Ugh, really?

I received a summer internship offer in SF and my paperwork was due last Friday, but since I expected results today I told them that I would let them know this week. If this really will take two weeks then I need to accept the SF offer or else I won't have anything else this summer. But then if I get in it will be too late! Uggghhhh...... does anyone think it would be useful to tell them my situation and ask if they could say which way they were leaning for me?

Also, they've done this program for a long time, I feel like they could estimated if they needed to go into March. They should have just been vague in their semifinalist email instead of promising "end of February" so people could plan accordingly.

4 minutes ago, doremi said:

does anyone think it would be useful to tell them my situation and ask if they could say which way they were leaning for me?

I would advise against this. For one thing, many people are in the same situation, so even if they wanted to make an exception for you it wouldn't be fair to everyone else. Second, if they say they are "leaning" any which way on you, it would be absolutely misleading because it's not a guaranteed position either way--imagine how you would feel if you made your decision based on a "leaning" and then it turned out the other way? I think you'll just feel frustrated if you try to get that kind of answer from them. It sounds like your best bet would be to explain the situation to your SF program and hope they'll give you more time. Good luck!

Did everyone see this announcement? Posted to the CLS Facebook page:

"We've been receiving many inquiries as to whether or not second round of notification has occurred. At this time we do not have information regarding the results from the second round and we do not have a specific timeline for when we will do so. However, when we do send out notification regarding decisions we will also post an announcement here. All participants will be notified of their status via the email they provided in their applications regardless of whether or not they've been selected as finalists."

^^Just saw this post by CLS on Facebook. Disappointed but I'll be happy to get accepted even if it's a lot later..if I get rejected I'd rather it be sooner so I can apply to other programs in earnest. Also saw a post from another applicant on Facebook who called and was told decisions might come out this week, but no guarantees. I'm just imagining what they are still doing. I have to assume final decisions have been made and they're simply collecting all the info, or else: anxiety. Anywho, good luck to everyone! Hopefully we'll know by the end of the week!

Soooo frustrating! I really really expected it to be today. If they seriously make us wait another TWO weeks I'll be so frazzled. 

I guess this just means checking our email every day at around 5 PM, because we don't know if it'll be sooner or later.

My nerves are shot, haha. 

@doremi , in your case I'm not sure what I would do. I guess talk to the internship and see if they can wait a few more days? 

I nearly screamed when I saw the CLS Visa email.....until I realized it was for all of us semi-finalists!!  This is getting crazy. We could end up with a visa, but rejected from the program :(

newbie here... found this forum last night. I was a semifinalist for Russian but another program I got into (fully funded, airfare, stipend) gave me until today to commit. I got into it about two weeks ago and I told them I was still waiting to hear back from CLS and that I would know by the end of February, so they extended the commit deadline for me. when I got the email this morning I nearly flipped, as the subject line said something like "passport information needed" and I figured that meant I was moving along as a recipient and they needed my information, only to learn they asked that of all semifinalists "just in case" they're selected. the email also said something about hearing about the decision "in the coming weeks," so that's when I realized I wouldn't be able to hold out any longer and just had to commit to the other program. it'll be heartbreaking if it ends up that I get it but because of the late response having to decline it. I know there's chatter on the facebook page about this, and while I understand that it's a very generous opportunity for recipients, I do think it's a bit unfair to have applicants work so hard on their applications, have faculty write recommendations, and then stall. they emphasize how carefully they select the recipients, but yet by their lateness will likely mean losing applicants they wanted to bring on because of students having to commit to other programs by a certain deadline.

@kristinochka, I agree, it's a really rough position. But good luck on securing the other program! Is there a reason you like the CLS so much more than that one? It sounds like the funding is comparative. 

I know there are a lot of applicants in your position, with other looming deadlines. I wish they could just tell us a bit more concretely if it would be a week or two weeks or what.