Applying for Fall 2016

ShadowCat

That article seemingly doesn't mention what fields were interviewed. Therefore, it is safe to assume that many comments are not reflective of the music admissions process - they are most likely talking about hard science fields where someone studying physics at Harvard would be expected to get a high score in math, etc. I wouldn't go into full freak-out mode over it, or even worry about it. There is another website that lists average GRE scores for admission for various programs, and the required scores for fine arts (presumably music is in the same ballpark) are much more reasonable than required scores for hard sciences.

Just curious  what everyone is doing to prepare for any upcoming interviews. I have one on in about 2 weeks and I think it would be cool if we could all bounce our ideas off of each other so we all can learn something new and show up in our best form.

Edited by KultureWar

On 1/16/2016 at 8:04 PM, felagund said:

That article seemingly doesn't mention what fields were interviewed. Therefore, it is safe to assume that many comments are not reflective of the music admissions process - they are most likely talking about hard science fields where someone studying physics at Harvard would be expected to get a high score in math, etc. I wouldn't go into full freak-out mode over it, or even worry about it. There is another website that lists average GRE scores for admission for various programs, and the required scores for fine arts (presumably music is in the same ballpark) are much more reasonable than required scores for hard sciences.

Don't worry about GRE scores. I've heard professors at multiple top schools say that they basically don't care about your GRE scores at all. I think it's one of those things that is generally only required because of university-wide or graduate school policies, and most music schools/departments would be just as happy if they weren't required. Maybe some schools care about GRE scores, or maybe they can sometimes come into play for scholarships/fellowships or if you completely bomb them, but from what I've heard, musicology/theory admissions almost never take GRE scores seriously.

Greetings All:

Here because I can't stand the cacophonous void of nothingness while I wait for responses. 

Applied to Phd composition and music technology programs, haven't heard back from any of them. However I don't think anyone else has either, as they were mostly late applications and/or programs that don't have interviews. 

Here's to ulcers!

I much prefer 'nothingness' to having a tiny bit of news that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Specifically, some of the places I applied at have you put your portfolio up on a private webpage. This means that, due to modern web analytics, I can see when they look at my portfolio, what tracks they played, and how many times. Now I find myself freaking out thinking "oh my, institution X only listened to my best track once, and only one person! They must have hated it!".

I know I am jumping to conclusions; I would rather know nothing vs. knowing that tidbit and trying to draw conclusions from it.

I applied at Harvard, Brown, UVA, UNT, and Brandeis. If previous years are any indication I won't hear anything until at least early February. Still checking daily though! LOL

6 hours ago, mmmarimba said:

I applied at Harvard, Brown, UVA, UNT, and Brandeis. If previous years are any indication I won't hear anything until at least early February. Still checking daily though! LOL

Not true with Harvard. Interviews with finalists and acceptances take place well before anyone else hears anything (at least this was the case last year).

2 hours ago, felagund said:

For composition?

Yeah I believe so. I'm not sure how their program is broken down there. 

...as for Harvard, I'm sure that's the case. Although the deadline wasn't until January so it's still super early.

Has anyone applied to Illinois Urbana-Champaign? I was looking at the Results page and noticed that in the past people have typically heard back from the musicology department around the end of Jan...

I've applied to UCLA as well. :D Excited to hopefully hear something soon. All of my other prospects seem to hold off until mid March at least for notifying, so I am happy that I may at least know about 2 before then...

2 hours ago, floatinggreenskull said:

Has anyone applied to Illinois Urbana-Champaign? I was looking at the Results page and noticed that in the past people have typically heard back from the musicology department around the end of Jan...

I've applied to UCLA as well. :D Excited to hopefully hear something soon. All of my other prospects seem to hold off until mid March at least for notifying, so I am happy that I may at least know about 2 before then...

It looks like someone was already accepted by Urbana-Champaign in late December (Musicology PhD), which seems very early. I'm not sure how many they tend to take per year, though. 

Did you apply to the musicology or ethnomusicology program at UCLA? Both are excellent!

13 minutes ago, It's Me said:

It looks like someone was already accepted by Urbana-Champaign in late December (Musicology PhD), which seems very early. I'm not sure how many they tend to take per year, though. 

Did you apply to the musicology or ethnomusicology program at UCLA? Both are excellent!

I saw that as well, although since I applied to the MA...maybe they do PhD earlier? Interesting.

For UCLA it's ethno!! It's one of my top choices of the 7 schools I've applied to. :D Two of my LOR writers/advisers are musicology PhD alumni, so I'm hoping that may help me a little. I would love to live in LA for a while, despite the craziness!