International Education Development/Policy Applicants 2016

Vulpix

Who else is looking to study IED/IE/IEP somewhere?  Who are you?  What are your interests?  Where are you applying?  What are your thoughts on all the different programs? 

I'm applying to the four schools listed in my signature.  My area of interest is education in emergencies, refugee education, and humanitarian issues.  I have a really great feeling about Penn's program, but location of TC in NYC is hard to beat in terms of opportunities for internships.  Also, HGSE as a school gives me a great vibe, and I like the cohort aspect that it and Penn have to offer, since I will be a full-time student, hopefully.  TC has its drawbacks due to large size/slightly impersonal, but the faculty in this department seem excellent.  NYU's international internship opportunities are still very appealing, and one of the professors there matches my interests very strongly.

Where are you, friends?

Edited by Heather1011

Hello my fellow IEP/IE/IED applicant!!! I am applying to all 4 schools that you are applying to, plus Vanderbilt! I share similar views on the programs. The international internship component of Penn's program is really attractive to me. 

I haven't submitted any of my applications though.. Still working on my statement of purpose. It's really hard to squeeze my story into less than 1000 words!

I actually worked in an international airline for a few years before I decided to switch to education. I am now a volunteer teacher in rural China, I also worked in a start-up education NGO in Hong Kong during the past summer. (I am from Hong Kong) My lack of substantial education and research experiences is my weakness. (I studied business in college, no research component at all!)

My undergrad GPA is pretty low too, a bit short of 3.4. (But according to a third-party evaluation agency, my GPA is equivalent to 3.6 under the US standards. Getting my GPA evaluated is a special requirement for international applicants. Some (TC, Penn) require the evaluation when I submit my application - so I am less worried about those 2 schools. But for other schools that only require the evaluation after I am admitted, my GPA is still a major weakness.) 

Best of luck to both of us! 

13 hours ago, teppeice said:

Hello my fellow IEP/IE/IED applicant!!! I am applying to all 4 schools that you are applying to, plus Vanderbilt! I share similar views on the programs. The international internship component of Penn's program is really attractive to me. 

I haven't submitted any of my applications though.. Still working on my statement of purpose. It's really hard to squeeze my story into less than 1000 words!

I actually worked in an international airline for a few years before I decided to switch to education. I am now a volunteer teacher in rural China, I also worked in a start-up education NGO in Hong Kong during the past summer. (I am from Hong Kong) My lack of substantial education and research experiences is my weakness. (I studied business in college, no research component at all!)

My undergrad GPA is pretty low too, a bit short of 3.4. (But according to a third-party evaluation agency, my GPA is equivalent to 3.6 under the US standards. Getting my GPA evaluated is a special requirement for international applicants. Some (TC, Penn) require the evaluation when I submit my application - so I am less worried about those 2 schools. But for other schools that only require the evaluation after I am admitted, my GPA is still a major weakness.) 

Best of luck to both of us! 

Hello!  Finally someone else! :) When I visited TC's IED open house, they spoke specifically about that GPA evaluation for international students.  Sounded like a pain, but glad you already did it!  I'm sure your work experience will make up for your lack of research/education related experience.  I'm in the opposite boat---I have the numbers and the research/education background, somewhat, but my work experience has been as a NYC teacher, which is hardly exotic to schools in the US.  I just hope they read the heart in my SOP and take me!

I've submitted 3/4, but one of my recommenders is taking her sweet time and driving me NUTS with "I'll get to it tomorrow!" Emails every day.  So even though I applied in late November, the only application that is complete is the NYU one because they only wanted 2 recs.  *Sigh*

hi! I am applying to 6 schools : 4 are the usual suspects - TC IED, HGSE IEP, Penn IEDP, Vanderbilt IEPM (not NYU because it didn't look like I could get funding - I'm intl), and 2 others - American ITEP and the Master's program in International Education at UMass Amherst, which hardly anyone in these forums seems to talk about, so I didn't realize it existed until much later. It seems very relevant and similar to some of the others - practitioner-focused, which is what I'm looking for - so I don't know why it's not more well-known. Maybe it's just not a big-name school?

I just submitted my final application this week, so now it's the waiting game... 

I found past forums very useful in researching these programs, so I guess I should contribute as well. Heather, your post struck a chord, as I'm also interested in refugee education - glad you are too! I have good grades and experience (I work with refugees in central Africa at the moment), but I don't have an education/teaching background per se (I was a librarian originally), which is why I'm thinking of going back to school... I am most concerned about funding, as I won't be able to attend any of these programs without a substantial scholarship and/or assistantship to cover the costs.

Here's best wishes to all of us! :)

Edited by marature

I'm applying to MIIS (MAIEM/MPA), SIT (Intl. Ed.), NYU (Steinhardt Intl. Ed.), and AU (ITEP). Actually, I'm already in with a conditional offer at MIIS. My interests are primarily in international exchange and particularly connecting international exchange with service learning and volunteerism - particularly in Latin America or Eastern Europe. Hence the different selection of programs. So while my interests differ quite a bit, there is still a chance we can end up in the same place. I've considered TC and know it is an excellent program (one of my friends is there now - in ICE). I just wasn't quite sure it was my thing.

Edited by okamzikprosim
spelling correction

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, olympichopeful said:

Have any of you that applied to AU heard back yet? I saw an acceptance on the results page, so congrats if that was anyone here. I've applied and am super interested to see what kind of funding is available.

HI, I asked about this, and was told that the admissions decision (from the CAS) is separate from the funding decision, which comes from the ITEP office. I'd also like to know what the awards are like... let's share the info if we get any! 

On 12/13/2015 at 8:56 AM, okamzikprosim said:

I'm applying to MIIS (MAIEM/MPA), SIT (Intl. Ed.), NYU (Steinhardt Intl. Ed.), and AU (ITEP). Actually, I'm already in with a conditional offer at MIIS. My interests are primarily in international exchange and particularly connecting international exchange with service learning and volunteerism - particularly in Latin America or Eastern Europe. Hence the different selection of programs. So while my interests differ quite a bit, there is still a chance we can end up in the same place. I've considered TC and know it is an excellent program (one of my friends is there now - in ICE). I just wasn't quite sure it was my thing.

Can you explain what "conditional offer" means?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, everyone! I applied to Penn IEDP, Harvard IEP, Columbia IED, and Vanderbilt IEPM. Just heard that I got into Vanderbilt (with 33% funding!) this morning, so :D. That and Penn are my top two choices, so fingers crossed for Penn, too! One of my profs had a personal emergency and couldn't get her LoR in until early Jan, so it's going to be a while until I hear, but fingers crossed...

12 hours ago, betweenthepages said:

Hi, everyone! I applied to Penn IEDP, Harvard IEP, Columbia IED, and Vanderbilt IEPM. Just heard that I got into Vanderbilt (with 33% funding!) this morning, so :D. That and Penn are my top two choices, so fingers crossed for Penn, too! One of my profs had a personal emergency and couldn't get her LoR in until early Jan, so it's going to be a while until I hear, but fingers crossed...

Nice to hear from someone else!! I applied to the same schools as you, just swap NYU for Vandy. Penn and HGSE are my top two right now, but I'm a libra and all of that could change in an instant (5 months ago I hadn't even heard of Penn's program, was applying to HGSE on a whim, and was dead-set on Columbia!).  I've been accepted to Penn, a little bit of funding, so I'm still open, but I've fallen in love with a lot of the components of Penn's program, primarily the internship.  I know the others have access to internship experiences, but at Penn they really train you for it and find it for you internationally, which is a big draw.

14 hours ago, betweenthepages said:

Welcome! Glad to hear from another new person :) I've applied to the same programs and just received the Vandy decision as well. They are fast!

On 1/8/2016 at 10:56 PM, olympichopeful said:

Have any of you that applied to AU heard back yet? I saw an acceptance on the results page, so congrats if that was anyone here. I've applied and am super interested to see what kind of funding is available.

I attend the AU ITEP virtual open house today. The application deadline to be considered for merit awards is feb 1, so decisions are only made after that. The faculty makes recommendations which are sent to the dean for decisions. They meet in early feb to decide, and the first award letters should go out in mid to late Feb. Even if you don't get one in the first round, there are several waves, so you might get one later.

Someone did ask about the highest merit award amount/percentage, but my Internet connection chose just that moment to go wonky, so I didn't hear the answer! It seemed they were pretty reluctant to give any numbers, tho', so I don't know whether they did name a figure in the end. If they make the link to the recording available, I will try to listen to it to see if they did say anything... otherwise, it's just waiting another month or so to hear...

Just now, marature said:

I attend the AU ITEP virtual open house today. The application deadline to be considered for merit awards is feb 1, so decisions are only made after that. The faculty makes recommendations which are sent to the dean for decisions. They meet in early feb to decide, and the first award letters should go out in mid to late Feb. Even if you don't get one in the first round, there are several waves, so you might get one later.

Someone did ask about the highest merit award amount/percentage, but my Internet connection chose just that moment to go wonky, so I didn't hear the answer! It seemed they were pretty reluctant to give any numbers, tho', so I don't know whether they did name a figure in the end. If they make the link to the recording available, I will try to listen to it to see if they did say anything... otherwise, it's just waiting another month or so to hear...

Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately, I was rejected from AU (but admitted to others, so it's not the worst thing). Good luck and I hope you receive funding! The opportunities in D.C. would be amazing.

3 minutes ago, olympichopeful said:

Thanks for sharing! Unfortunately, I was rejected from AU (but admitted to others, so it's not the worst thing). Good luck and I hope you receive funding! The opportunities in D.C. would be amazing.

Oh too bad, but looks like you got into lots of other places. Thanks and best wishes to you too!

On 1/20/2016 at 11:20 AM, betweenthepages said:

Congratulations!!! I have been accepted to Vanderbilt with 33% funding as well :)! 

On January 9, 2016 at 1:03 PM, marature said:

HI, I asked about this, and was told that the admissions decision (from the CAS) is separate from the funding decision, which comes from the ITEP office. I'd also like to know what the awards are like... let's share the info if we get any! 

Awards are decided mid-February and results are mailed out by the start of March.

2 hours ago, betweenthepages said:

Ooooh, is it the Middlebury Language Schools? I did Chinese there for a summer, was one of the most bizarre and yet best experiences of my life :D

Either that or SILP. I am excited for either, but MLS makes my move extremely complicated - I'm moving to Monterey from abroad.

On 1/20/2016 at 4:20 AM, betweenthepages said:

On 1/21/2016 at 8:43 AM, teppeice said:

Congratulations!!! I have been accepted to Vanderbilt with 33% funding as well :)! 

Glad to see fellow Vandy admits! What's your thinking in terms of decisions - I know we all still have to wait for HGSE and TC in March, but right now what do you think of Vandy's IEPM? I'm a bit concerned that it isn't as "international" as the other programs, and there were some slightly negative comments in last year's thread about diversity of the student body. Also it seems more research-oriented/theoretical than Penn or HGSE, or TC for that matter, less practitioner-oriented. Any comments? Anyone know the school/program a bit better?

Hello! Congratulations to everybody who has got acceptances. I also received my acceptance from Vanderbilt a few days ago, for an MEd in International Education Policy and Management, with 33% dean's tuition scholarship.

For those with a similar scholarship, what are you guys doing about the remaining funding? Please help!

On 1/22/2016 at 9:18 PM, marature said:

Glad to see fellow Vandy admits! What's your thinking in terms of decisions - I know we all still have to wait for HGSE and TC in March, but right now what do you think of Vandy's IEPM? I'm a bit concerned that it isn't as "international" as the other programs, and there were some slightly negative comments in last year's thread about diversity of the student body. Also it seems more research-oriented/theoretical than Penn or HGSE, or TC for that matter, less practitioner-oriented. Any comments? Anyone know the school/program a bit better?

I'm really seriously considering it -- all my internship experience has been in public health but my employment in education, so I was torn between applying for an MPH and a M.Ed. -- the breadth of global health courses I could take in the program is super appealing to me! I also like that it seems to be a smaller class than Harvard IEP or Columbia IED, and I've heard past students talk positively about the relationships they built with their professors. I went to a small liberal arts college and had super positive relationships with my professors, so I'm hoping for that in grad school too... which isn't to say that it won't happen at the other two, just that it might not come as easily, if that makes sense?

I've got to admit my heart's still kind of set on Penn, but this is a very, very close second. I hadn't read the thing about the diversity of the student body, will have to go look that up and have a read...

2 hours ago, betweenthepages said:

I'm really seriously considering it -- all my internship experience has been in public health but my employment in education, so I was torn between applying for an MPH and a M.Ed. -- the breadth of global health courses I could take in the program is super appealing to me! I also like that it seems to be a smaller class than Harvard IEP or Columbia IED, and I've heard past students talk positively about the relationships they built with their professors. I went to a small liberal arts college and had super positive relationships with my professors, so I'm hoping for that in grad school too... which isn't to say that it won't happen at the other two, just that it might not come as easily, if that makes sense?

I've got to admit my heart's still kind of set on Penn, but this is a very, very close second. I hadn't read the thing about the diversity of the student body, will have to go look that up and have a read...

I echo your sentiments about the size of the cohort and relationships with faculty.  A Harvard alum mentioned to me that it's a bit more challenging, though certainly not impossible, to build relationships with faculty. I also went to a small liberal arts school with great faculty relationships, so it's something I would want again.  As for Columbia, while the size of the cohort is definitely larger, after having visited the campus several times, I think the faculty are more accessible than you'd think.  As a prospective student I was able to arrange a chance to meet with one of the IED professors just to ask more about the program, and when I went to their IED open house, which was at like 7 PM on a Friday night, almost ALL of the professors showed up, with COOKIES that they made, and seemed eager to answer questions and get to know prospective students (and keep in mind none of us have been admitted yet).  So that was pretty reassuring that if I go to Columbia, it's exactly what you make of it, the effort you put in, you will get back, I think.

My heart is with Penn right now too, but I'll see what happens.  

19 hours ago, HS9191 said:

Hello! Congratulations to everybody who has got acceptances. I also received my acceptance from Vanderbilt a few days ago, for an MEd in International Education Policy and Management, with 33% dean's tuition scholarship.

For those with a similar scholarship, what are you guys doing about the remaining funding? Please help!

From past years' Peabody threads, it looks like there is quite a lot of research money floating around, and the Web site itself says that a lot of students do manage to get assistantships, so that's what I would be shooting for.

An admissions office told me early on that it's unusual to combine scholarship and assistantship to get a 'full ride', but I'm optimistic that altho' not everyone is able to, at least some may! There was at least one person on one of the forums who got an assistantship that covered her tuition, I think. Also, Vandy's fees seem much reasonable than some others, and I think living in Nashville would also be less costly than some of the NE cities. 

5 hours ago, betweenthepages said:

Thanks for replying! I can see how with your public health background, the Vandy program would be great for you. They do seem to have a very strong emphasis/expertise in that area. They also seem to be strong on Latin American studies and Asian studies - they have research centres / certificate programs etc. However, my geographic area of interest is sub-saharan Africa, and not only does the IEPM not really seem to address that, but Vandy itself, unlike most of the other unis, doesn't even have an African Studies department, where I could take additional courses, or faculty in that area. So that's one of my hesitations. 

On the other hand, my major goals for the program include getting a good foundation in children's education and school leadership, and in general terms Peabody is totally solid, with all its various streams. Also the community action and development stream - I would definitely take a lot of courses from there (I considered applying to that for awhile, but decided that the international focus was more important to me in the end).

Haha, I also went to a small liberal arts college so I do appreciate the small cohort idea, tho' I did do a master's at a big research univ and appreciate the huge resources (e.g. the library databases) available in that context. I think it's somewhat the best of both worlds if the program is smallish but set within a larger univ, and it seems like most of them are like that.