International Education Development/Policy Applicants 2016

Vulpix

I really don't know how alumni of IE at NYU feel, but I do know that Steinhardt alum in general that I am friends with feel completely anonymous at NYU, being such a huge school.  Steinhardt isn't the school of education, it's the school of EVERYTHING, and there's a chance you can get lost.  I think for my individualized attention, Penn, Vandy, perhaps one of the others I'm less familiar with are good options.  That's something that's important to me, but it may not be to you.

Hi all, 

I applied to the IEDP program at Penn GSE on Jan 15, and finally on Feb 10 my application was marked ready for review. It's been almost 5 weeks and I haven't received a decision from the program yet. Should I email the program directly and ask or would that be rude? Thanks! 

Also, now that admission results are out, where are you guys thinking of heading and what factors are swaying your decision? I've been accepted to HGSE (awaiting financial aid result), Stanford (10k), Columbia (zero funding), Vanderbilt (33% tuition), and Georgetown's Global Human Development program (50% tuition). I've eliminated Columbia because of funding, Stanford because the program doesn't leave time for internship during the year, Vanderbilt because of location. If I get accepted to Penn GSE as well, it will be a really hard decision between HGSE (1 year), Penn GSE (1.5 year) and Georgetown (2 years) since they each has aspects that I like and don't like. 

4 hours ago, chimmu1141 said:

Also, now that admission results are out, where are you guys thinking of heading and what factors are swaying your decision? I've been accepted to HGSE (awaiting financial aid result), Stanford (10k), Columbia (zero funding), Vanderbilt (33% tuition), and Georgetown's Global Human Development program (50% tuition). I've eliminated Columbia because of funding, Stanford because the program doesn't leave time for internship during the year, Vanderbilt because of location. If I get accepted to Penn GSE as well, it will be a really hard decision between HGSE (1 year), Penn GSE (1.5 year) and Georgetown (2 years) since they each has aspects that I like and don't like. 

I'm anticipating that cost of Penn vs. HGSE will be the same for me (pending HGSE aid decision), because Penn is more expensive, so even if HGSE gives me no aid, it will be the same cost as Penn.  I am going to entirely rely on how I feel upon my visits, because right now I'm totally torn.  I'm currently leaning a bit toward Harvard because of all I've heard about the network and opportunities.

On 3/15/2016 at 3:33 AM, Heather1011 said:

I'm anticipating that cost of Penn vs. HGSE will be the same for me (pending HGSE aid decision), because Penn is more expensive, so even if HGSE gives me no aid, it will be the same cost as Penn.  I am going to entirely rely on how I feel upon my visits, because right now I'm totally torn.  I'm currently leaning a bit toward Harvard because of all I've heard about the network and opportunities.

I hope that visiting the schools will help you to make your decision. I am an international student, and unfortunately cannot fly to the US to attend Visit Days. I would really appreciate it if you can share your experience of Penn and HSGE on the Visit Days since I am on the same boat as you are now...Also this is totally random but reading your previous posts, I just realize that we attended the same college for undergrad!! 

1 hour ago, chimmu1141 said:

I hope that visiting the schools will help you to make your decision. I am an international student, and unfortunately cannot fly to the US to attend Visit Days. I would really appreciate it if you can share your experience of Penn and HSGE on the Visit Days since I am on the same boat as you are now...Also this is totally random but reading your previous posts, I just realize that we attended the same college for undergrad!! 

You went to Vassar!?? When did you graduate? :D:D

I know a Vassar grad who went to HGSE... don't know any who went to Penn GSE.  I'm going to be meeting up with him in Cambridge hopefully to find out about his experience.

I will definitely share all my notes from the visit days!! Only 2 weeks *sigh*

On 3/17/2016 at 2:43 AM, Heather1011 said:

You went to Vassar!?? When did you graduate? :D:D

I know a Vassar grad who went to HGSE... don't know any who went to Penn GSE.  I'm going to be meeting up with him in Cambridge hopefully to find out about his experience.

I will definitely share all my notes from the visit days!! Only 2 weeks *sigh*

YES! I graduated in 2013. When did you graduate? 

And thank you, that would be incredibly helpful! I am trying to find out information through as many channels as possible since I can't visit in person. I have heard from an acquaintance who is attending HGSE that classes are a little bigger than he expected, so less attention and chance to interact with professors. He said there are lots of opportunities for networking, but you also have to compete for those with the 70-80+ people attending your program. But I guess this is unavoidable anywhere. He graduated from a small liberal arts college like ours...so I guess big classes and larger cohort size are more difficult to adjust to. 

Edited by chimmu1141

1 hour ago, chimmu1141 said:

YES! I graduated in 2013. When did you graduate? 

And thank you, that would be incredibly helpful! I am trying to find out information through as many channels as possible since I can't visit in person. I have heard from an acquaintance who is attending HGSE that classes are a little bigger than he expected, so less attention and chance to interact with professors. He said there are lots of opportunities for networking, but you also have to compete for those with the 70-80+ people attending your program. But I guess this is unavoidable anywhere. He graduated from a small liberal arts college like ours...so I guess big classes and larger cohort size are more difficult to adjust to. 

I graduated in 2012!  I'll PM you! :D

It's funny, because 70-80 is NOT that many people, relatively speaking.   But I guess when you're all focused on the same few professors, you do have to jockey for time.  I just hope it's not so much 'competitive' in the cut-throat way of having to edge out someone else.

Hi All,

I am interested in hearing if anyone is considering the Teacher's College program?  Right now I am trying to decide between Vanderbilt (33% scholarship; 2 years) and TC ($13,000 scholaship; 1 full year or 1.5 years depending).  I think Vandy has the stronger program, but it's location is a little more removed than I would like (I plan to end up on the east coast after grad school).  I like Columbia's location and I've been surprised by how much weight the name has been carrying (in my head, since I know Vandy has the stronger program I thought they were pretty neck-and-neck name wise, but I've been finding that Columbia's name recognition is holding a lot of sway when I tell people which schools I'm choosing between.)  I have heard that Columbia's program isn't as strong, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if the program is still very strong, just not quite as strong as Vandy, or if there is a really big discrepancy between the two?  

Also, if anyone knows how easy or difficult it is to get assistantships at either of these, that would be really helpful as well!

Thank you for your thoughts!

23 minutes ago, MicMac said:

Hi All,

I am interested in hearing if anyone is considering the Teacher's College program?  Right now I am trying to decide between Vanderbilt (33% scholarship; 2 years) and TC ($13,000 scholaship; 1 full year or 1.5 years depending).  I think Vandy has the stronger program, but it's location is a little more removed than I would like (I plan to end up on the east coast after grad school).  I like Columbia's location and I've been surprised by how much weight the name has been carrying (in my head, since I know Vandy has the stronger program I thought they were pretty neck-and-neck name wise, but I've been finding that Columbia's name recognition is holding a lot of sway when I tell people which schools I'm choosing between.)  I have heard that Columbia's program isn't as strong, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if the program is still very strong, just not quite as strong as Vandy, or if there is a really big discrepancy between the two?  

Also, if anyone knows how easy or difficult it is to get assistantships at either of these, that would be really helpful as well!

Thank you for your thoughts!

I know very little about Vandy's program other than people speak very highly of it.  i have attended 4 info sessions at TC, including with the professors of the IED program.  They all seem very strong and personable and willing to meet with students (I went to talk to Mary Mendenhall as a prospective student).  I think TC as a whole is not as good as Vandy, but IED may be stronger.  If you want a better experience, go to Vandy.  If you want more internship opportunities in NYC, I'd say TC is a better choice.

On 3/21/2016 at 11:21 AM, MicMac said:

I attended TC for my masters, and although I wasn't in the IED program, I think across the school it is quite difficult to get assistantships. They seem almost exclusively reserved for doctoral students. I think this because it has such a mammoth student body, slots are extremely competitive. However, I would reach out to professors in your program to ask for their knowledge on this as you make your decision. 

From visiting Vandy twice, as both a masters and PhD prospective, it seemed that assistantships are commonly available to masters students. But again, I would reach out to professors to inquire. It is a very good question that they'll want to answer if it will sway you toward their school. 

3 hours ago, Fleet23 said:

I attended TC for my masters, and although I wasn't in the IED program, I think across the school it is quite difficult to get assistantships. They seem almost exclusively reserved for doctoral students. I think this because it has such a mammoth student body, slots are extremely competitive. However, I would reach out to professors in your program to ask for their knowledge on this as you make your decision. 

From visiting Vandy twice, as both a masters and PhD prospective, it seemed that assistantships are commonly available to masters students. But again, I would reach out to professors to inquire. It is a very good question that they'll want to answer if it will sway you toward their school. 

Hi Fleet23, Thank you! This is super helpful toknow.  What factors made you choose TC over Vandy for your masters?

Fit + visit impressions--as the decision date neared, I realized that I liked the emphasis for my particular program at TC a little more than the emphasis of the program at Vandy. It was a little more specific toward a certain career goal. Additionally, when I went to visit both, my advisor at TC was incredibly helpful and enthusiastic about her students' research, whereas Vandy could not even scrounge up a professor from my program for me to meet with, and I found out that my primary POI was leaving. It was't an impressive weekend.

Also, my SO was thinking of applying to Columbia, so it would have made things much easier on that end too. 

Turns out, I think these initial impressions weren't very indicative of the experiences I had at TC or would have had at Vandy. I think I would have been quite happy at Vanderbilt, plus a little less in debt. But I guess I don't have any regrets; they're both fantastic schools. 

Both Vandy and Columbia have had rough last couple of years (several big name retirements or moving to other programs). Right now both programs are really kind of a mess, especially when you talk to current students at TC and professors at other programs. I was considering applying to a phd at both and was advised to look elsewhere as those two programs (along with Wisconsin...due to Walker defunding and anti-academic policies) are not as great as they used to be and are somewhat in transition. Right now it appears the strongest programs are stanford, NYU, harvard, and Penn, and UCLA if you want a more academic route. Minnesota also has a growing program that has some top names, especially if you are interested in sub-Saharan Africa.

But its really up to you. TC is still a great school, and people still do have great experiences. I just think its important to understand the current situation. 

3 hours ago, no.37 said:

Both Vandy and Columbia have had rough last couple of years (several big name retirements or moving to other programs). Right now both programs are really kind of a mess, especially when you talk to current students at TC and professors at other programs. I was considering applying to a phd at both and was advised to look elsewhere as those two programs (along with Wisconsin...due to Walker defunding and anti-academic policies) are not as great as they used to be and are somewhat in transition. Right now it appears the strongest programs are stanford, NYU, harvard, and Penn, and UCLA if you want a more academic route. Minnesota also has a growing program that has some top names, especially if you are interested in sub-Saharan Africa.

But its really up to you. TC is still a great school, and people still do have great experiences. I just think its important to understand the current situation. 

It's interesting that you call Vandy a mess, but it's still ranked #6 (as of last week). Are your observations specific to IED? 

Even more interesting to me is that TC is so consistently called a mess, for several years now by alums and students, yet remains solidly in that top 10 year after year.  I guess history and name withstand negative fluctuations in quality...

I actually got the impression (in my visits) that IED is in better shape than some of the other programs.  However, I did meet with my undergrad professor who did her IED EdD there, and said that the faculty has changed and there is hardly anyone left who is as good as it used to be.... (she graduated 2008)

Edited by Heather1011

• 2 years later...

Hello all, I am in the same boat as yours and utterly confused between the IEDP at Penn and IEP at HGSE. Still awaiting the financial aspects but let us leave that aside for a while, which of the two did you eventually chose and why? 

The international internship at Penn is a big draw for me and the fact that I am switching from business consulting to education after 7 years of experience, so an 18-month program makes sense versus a 9-month at Harvard. I have been consistently leading pro bono and voluntary educational initiatives with my business consulting job.

• 1 year later...

Hi all,

So grateful that this board is out there, even though it is older I am hoping to get advice as to where to choose. I have been accepted to Vandy, NYU Steinhardt, GWU, and SIT, still waiting to hear from TC. I am leaning towards Vandy and NYU with Vandy being my number 1 choice, however based on some comments on this board I am wondering if I should reconsider? I know NYU would provide a great internship experience over Vandy but not sure that means Vandy can't provide that as well. Also, looking at both curriculums, I am unsure which would help me get to where I would like to go based on my interests. Thoughts on the different programs?