Fall 2016 School Psychology PhD

outsidegirl4

On 1/29/2016 at 9:31 PM, Love3 said:

I can't find the email address of one of the professors that interviewed me. She's a post-doc and new to the program so she's not on the faculty list yet. She was such an awesome person and helped me shake off the nerves on the interview. I thought about emailing someone so I can get her email address but I don't want to seem like a crazy person. 

What should I do? 

Do you have the email address of any current students? If someone emailed me saying, "this person was nice to me and I wanted to say thanks, but didn't have her email" I would totally understand.

6 minutes ago, iphi said:

Do you have the email address of any current students? If someone emailed me saying, "this person was nice to me and I wanted to say thanks, but didn't have her email" I would totally understand.

I thought about that but I didn't want to come off too eager. I got rejected this morning so I don't think it matters too much at the point. I've been doing so well making sure I send thank you emails to the professors that interviewed me and the students that I stayed with. I just felt bad that I couldn't say thank you to her. 

I started today off in a sour mood because I got two rejections: last night (UD) and this morning (USF). It kind of sucked getting them back to back especially since I thought I did so well in those interviews. My day made a turn for the better because I received an acceptance this afternoon from Texas A&M. Two acceptances & two more interviews to go! 

Any good news for anyone else? 

Anyone know information about William James College or aka Massachusetts school of professional psychology? 

The school is apa and nasp accredited and has around 600 students total. Any info about the school and its reputation will be great thank you

53 minutes ago, New Applicant said:

@Love3 So far I got to MSU and Connecticut and rejected from UCSB. I haven't heard from Berkeley yet but I know they have sent out their interview invitations already...

Congrats! I got rejected from UCSB but that is one of the harder programs that I applied to. I'm curious who actually got in.

Did you figure out a strategy to help you decide which school you will attend out of the ones you were accepted to? 

On 2/6/2016 at 11:33 PM, New Applicant said:

@estrella waitlisted isnt bad at all! Means you still have a great chance. Not everyone is going to accept offers. Just keep following up with them :)

thank you!! That's what I've been doing. I'v been in contact with my POI. 

Hey everyone, I have a question about your interview experiences. What kind of demographic is most common at these interviews and the students you meet at the school? I have heard that the field is predominately White, Non-Hispanic women, and each school psychologist I know fits that description. Have you noticed any changes in this trend during your interviews? Which were the most 'diverse' (and this can be in terms of age, experiences, race, whatever) programs you saw?

Also, best of luck on these interviews. Excited (and nervous) to be in the same place as you all this time next year. 

On January 29, 2016 at 10:31 PM, Love3 said:
1 hour ago, hellokrs said:

Hey everyone, I have a question about your interview experiences. What kind of demographic is most common at these interviews and the students you meet at the school? I have heard that the field is predominately White, Non-Hispanic women, and each school psychologist I know fits that description. Have you noticed any changes in this trend during your interviews? Which were the most 'diverse' (and this can be in terms of age, experiences, race, whatever) programs you saw?

Also, best of luck on these interviews. Excited (and nervous) to be in the same place as you all this time next year. 

Hi! That's a really good question. I've interviewed at four programs so far and your description is pretty spot on. There is usually one male, perhaps one or two minority students, and an even mix of current undergrads and people who are either currently in grad school or out in the work force. The field is definitely homogenous, unfortunately. 

I will say that many of the people I know in this field and have met at interviews have commented on this problem of lack of diversity, and it's something programs are working to combat. The children we work with are so diverse - our field needs to look the same way! I'm hoping more males and more minority students will continue to join the field in the coming years, and I think a small part of the problem is just how few people know about school psych and understand it. 

To be honest, there hasn't been a program so far that struck me as particularly diverse. Urban campuses tend to attract a more diverse applicant pool, but not by much.

Edited by Jaguar21

@hellokrs I agree that it depends where you are interviewing but the majority of the interviewees are exactly as you describe. The most diverse was in Florida with a THREE men and a few more minority. My interview at Texas was a little more diverse too. 

On 2/16/2016 at 10:48 PM, hellokrs said:

• Thats really interesting. I'v been to 5 interviews ( urban unis ).  The gender gap is something I know a lot of universities are trying to combat. Since I applied to PhD's I did see quite a few men in the pool ( even older ones who are switching their career!). I didnt see many minorities. If I did, they were hispanic and asian women. Oh, and almost zero international applicants invited to interview for school psych Phd's. Totally different experience to my friends who apply to STEM PhD's. 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm officially reviving this thread right now! ;)  

I saw someone posted in the results area that they got accepted into the School Psych PhD program at the University of Florida on Feb 25th via email. If you're following this post would you mind sharing which professor it was (you can PM me instead if you'd like)? I interviewed for the Ed.S program but, I still haven't heard anything back yet. <_< 

In the meantime, I'll be over in the "WHINE, WAIT, and WINE" thread. Wallowing in my anxiety. 

16 hours ago, Limitless said:

I saw someone posted in the results area that they got accepted into the School Psych PhD program at the University of Florida on Feb 25th via email. If you're following this post would you mind sharing which professor it was (you can PM me instead if you'd like)? I interviewed for the Ed.S program but, I still haven't heard anything back yet. <_< 

In the meantime, I'll be over in the "WHINE, WAIT, and WINE" thread. Wallowing in my anxiety. 

If it helps, where I go to school we send out PhD acceptances a whole 4-6 weeks before EdS. So don't sweat it too much!

On 2/28/2016 at 9:15 PM, Limitless said:

I haven't heard back from them either. I have a feeling we will hear back one day this week. 

Posting some happy news!

Got into two universities, funded offers!! I'm so excited! My first choice (UofM) still has me on waitlist so I'm super confused about whether and when to accept my offers but yay! any advice?

17 minutes ago, estrella said:

Posting some happy news!

Got into two universities, funded offers!! I'm so excited! My first choice (UofM) still has me on waitlist so I'm super confused about whether and when to accept my offers but yay! any advice?

I would decide between the 2 offers you have, decline the second choice, but hold onto the offer you will accept if not taken off the waitist at U of M. Then, call U of M and inquire about your status and let them know you have other offers but they are your #1 and see if they will let you know how likely it will be that you will come off the waitist. No one can make you decide before April 15 but it is courteous to let the schools know by the deadline they suggested if you know so they can give more offers and funding to students who are still waiting. 

Edited by Anxiousapplicant01

I've officially heard back from all of the schools I applied to. This application process is finally over. Now I have to decide where I will be in the Fall. I'm happy that the hardest part is over and that I actually got into a couple places.

On 3/3/2016 at 10:09 AM, Love3 said:

I've officially heard back from all of the schools I applied to. This application process is finally over. Now I have to decide where I will be in the Fall. I'm happy that the hardest part is over and that I actually got into a couple places.

Congrats! Choose wisely! ;)

2 hours ago, iphi said:

Congrats! Choose wisely! ;)

Thank you! I hope I do! I just feel like there are so many things that go into picking a program but I also don't want to overthink it. ?