WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

26 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Guys... I know this is the biggest "first world problem" that the world has ever seen, but...

I really have my mind set on Cornell, but a professor e-mailed me from Boulder offering me more money via fellowship. But that's not even the good part. He gave me his personal cell number and said he'll be calling me in a few days. The name sounded familiar.... because he won the NOBEL F*CKING PRIZE.

And so, for the fourth time this month, I'm going to look over my application materials and see if I accidentally lied somewhere!

Enjoy the dilemma of having too many admission offers :D Awesome :D So it means that you will work with that professor if you accept Boulder?

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny teach us your ways oh wise one!! In all seriousness though, that's amazing. I know a couple of weeks ago you were thrilled about Boulder, what made you switch to Cornell? If Boulder really want you this much, that says a lot about their programme. At the end of the day, it's a decision only you can make, and despite us all going "oh what an awesome problem to have" it is still stressful! I honestly don't see the stress subsiding until I hit tenure. Might as well buckle in for the ride :P 

54 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Guys... I know this is the biggest "first world problem" that the world has ever seen, but...

I really have my mind set on Cornell, but a professor e-mailed me from Boulder offering me more money via fellowship. But that's not even the good part. He gave me his personal cell number and said he'll be calling me in a few days. The name sounded familiar.... because he won the NOBEL F*CKING PRIZE.

And so, for the fourth time this month, I'm going to look over my application materials and see if I accidentally lied somewhere!

That's pretty amazing. I'm really happy for you! I feel like working with a Nobel prize winner couldn't be bad for your career. :D 

In other news, this weekend is dragging. I'm trying to grade papers to pass the time, but it's not really helping. And my allergies are horrendously bad this weekend. Must be all the unusually warm weather Oklahoma has had.

Oh, I wouldn't be working with him I'm quite sure. I don't know who I'd be working with... I think he is somewhere on the admissions committee which is why he's the one that e-mailed me. We'll see :)

I sort of decided on Cornell because Boulder is #1 in atomic/optical physics (which is what I applied for) but I really also like the idea of condensed matter pphysics at Cornell. I don't know... :(

2 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Oh, I wouldn't be working with him I'm quite sure. I don't know who I'd be working with... I think he is somewhere on the admissions committee which is why he's the one that e-mailed me. We'll see :)

I sort of decided on Cornell because Boulder is #1 in atomic/optical physics (which is what I applied for) but I really also like the idea of condensed matter pphysics at Cornell. I don't know... :(

How prestigious is the fellowship they've offered you at Boulder? That might also help you later on.

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny Super congrats! Also just....wow!

@rhombusbombus I feel ya...for the first time in my life I've accumulated some furniture, and now have to get rid of it all! I'm a little reticent to use Craigslist as....well, sometimes bad things happen, especially in such a huge city like where I live. It would be neat if we had a grad cafe version of Craigslist; I'd be happy to give my gently used IKEA furniture to anyone on here.

2 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

@rhombusbombus I feel ya...for the first time in my life I've accumulated some furniture, and now have to get rid of it all! I'm a little reticent to use Craigslist as....well, sometimes bad things happen, especially in such a huge city like where I live. It would be neat if we had a grad cafe version of Craigslist; I'd be happy to give my gently used IKEA furniture to anyone on here.

Does your school have their own internal sort of craigslist? That might be useful for getting rid of stuff without being as scary as proper craigslist. 

5 minutes ago, legendary said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny are you "vagina" from the results page? congratulations on getting in every place you applied. I'm researching sex change procedures to have better chances at top schools next application season.

Your time would probably be better spent elsewhere on your application. 

5 hours ago, NNnantes said:

Had two acceptances so far - but no info on funding.  Torn between the amazing feeling of actually having been accepted somewhere and the anxiety of not knowing if I'll actually be able to afford going to grad school. And still waiting on four other responses. Been binge watching Netflix and eating way, way too much chocolate these past days, instead of writing my Master's thesis, haha. But this forum is amazing, it's so great to read about everyone's stories! Good luck for the waiting, everyone!! At what point should I give up waiting to hear from my last universities???

@NNnantes hi! where did you get in so far? :)

Edited by delusional

17 minutes ago, raaawr said:

@Pink Fuzzy BunnyI'm curious, do you watch the Big Bang theory? Lol

hahaha!! Yes :D I love that show so much!! You too?

1 hour ago, Neist said:

How prestigious is the fellowship they've offered you at Boulder? That might also help you later on.

As far as prestige, I'm not sure. 

59 minutes ago, legendary said:

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny are you "vagina" from the results page? congratulations on getting in every place you applied. I'm researching sex change procedures to have better chances at top schools next application season.

That's me :D I do highly recommend being a female. I'd rate it 10/10 everyday except for about 3-4 days a month, where it's only a 5/10.

Also... today I was nominated for the "Idiot of the Year" award. I left my car window down overnight, and someone stole a bunch of stuff. Fortunately it came out to only be a bit over $30 value which is good. Good thing they didn't think to open the trunk, where all of my telescope accessories (hundreds of dollars worth) were. 

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

2 hours ago, rhombusbombus said:

new shit to freak out about: taxes, moving, packing, minimizing all of my things that i've spent years accumulating!!

I've only lived in my current home for 6 months, and I'm worried about all that, too (except taxes, because...Andorra).

Also worried about how I'm going to break the news to my parents (who think I'm going to move back in with them) that I'm going to be living with my boyfriend (of 5 years) when I move back to Massachusetts. My parents are wicked old school.

42 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

I like to sell stuff using facebook. If you live near a city or a college, there are often classified groups... Or marketplace groups. To me it helps to see who might be looking into stuff. Better than Craigslist.

7 hours ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Does anyone else kick themselves for not applying to a program? I just found Arizona State's program and they have a faculty member who does exactly what I want and the offer funding. I didn't know about their program until now and their deadline was Dec 1st. Booo. Hopefully I won't need it and I'll get funded offers this round. If Not I guess there is always next year!

There are 3 programs that would have been good fits and in decent locations, but I didn't apply to them because in the past I had and was rejected.  I understand why I was rejected, but this time around I felt it better to start fresh so I didn't consider them.  If I don't get in this season and have to do a 4th application cycle I may reconsider my stance.

2 hours ago, MarineBluePsy said:

There are 3 programs that would have been good fits and in decent locations, but I didn't apply to them because in the past I had and was rejected.  I understand why I was rejected, but this time around I felt it better to start fresh so I didn't consider them.  If I don't get in this season and have to do a 4th application cycle I may reconsider my stance.

Yeah I'm hoping that I won't have to do a second cycle so it will just be an oh well situation. Why do grad schools mail their decisions?! Its way too much pressure since I won't know if a small letter is good or bad.

Maybe I'm just getting paranoid, but has anyone ever wondered if individuals post results merely to screw with people's emotions?

Time to get my tinfoil hat.

32 minutes ago, Neist said:

Maybe I'm just getting paranoid, but has anyone ever wondered if individuals post results merely to screw with people's emotions?

Time to get my tinfoil hat.

May be, but I think the chance is quite small in this forum.

12 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

Has anyone seen the nyu post with media and culture? Talk about misplaced aggression.

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm not.

Some of the comments in the results are pretty horrid. I hope I don't pop up in a program with some of these people.

1 minute ago, Neist said:

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm not.

Some of the comments in the results are pretty horrid. I hope I don't pop up in a program with some of these people.

Yeah I found it very odd how someone can think that low of a program yet they still applied? To me these people are the worst ha. So far no one has been insufferable in museum studies related posts. Then again there have been only 4-6 haha