Dr. Brains

WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, hippyscientist said:

Damn girl I love your hair! I'm with @SLPgradstudent I am not a makeup person. Occasionally I'll wear it for interviews and big events but day to day - no way. Too much effort with gymming daily and swimming. Not too sure about grad school attire in the US now, because at my current school it's totally fine to wear gym kit (and I do, regularly). Even lecturers bum around in sweats and hoodies and beanies (yes seriously). Yet I hear you gotta look put together day to day in most US programs. Yikes. I mean if I'm in jeans and uggs I've made an effort....sorry getting side-tracked, procrastinating a huge piece of coursework.

I wear makeup every day. (Even today's "not really" makeup today, I have eyeliner, foundation, and mascara.) My mom is a cosmetologist, so like leaving the house without doing hair and makeup was a big no growing up. I wear fake eyelashes most days, and do contouring about 3/4 of the time. But like, I also do pageants, so it makes more sense in that context. 10615404_4577636456010_56155964222781242  I wonder what the pageants in Pennsylvania are like. 

Graduate students I've met here usually don't wear sweatpants, but they aren't dressed like in suits or anything. Some of them will wear more professional clothes for teaching, like http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/outfit.do?cid=97036&oid=OUT-558588002, while others just wear jeans and a blouse. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

Pink hair! Mine was blue for my penn state interview and purple for ucr and illinois. 

Hair is such an easy way to brighten up your day! The worst that could ever happen is you have to grow it out again

Wow! I had no idea it was ok to go to interviews outside of my field (fashion) with different hair colors. Haha. I thought like the science interviews would be strict. That is so cool though! :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FoxAndChicken said:

I wear makeup every day. (Even today's "not really" makeup today, I have eyeliner, foundation, and mascara.) My mom is a cosmetologist, so like leaving the house without doing hair and makeup was a big no growing up. I wear fake eyelashes most days, and do contouring about 3/4 of the time. But like, I also do pageants, so it makes more sense in that context. 10615404_4577636456010_56155964222781242  I wonder what the pageants in Pennsylvania are like. 

Graduate students I've met here usually don't wear sweatpants, but they aren't dressed like in suits or anything. Some of them will wear more professional clothes for teaching, like http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse/outfit.do?cid=97036&oid=OUT-558588002, while others just wear jeans and a blouse. 

Yikes I don't even know how to put fake eyelashes on or what the heck contouring even is (like I know but wouldn't have the first clue about where to start). 

I miss my pink hair, I wish it was acceptable in my field. I recently went from "surfer blonde" to chestnut brown as it doesn't cost as much to maintain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, raaawr said:

Wow! I had no idea it was ok to go to interviews outside of my field (fashion) with different hair colors. Haha. I thought like the science interviews would be strict. That is so cool though! :)

I was surprised too, but during one of my visits at Penn State one of the directors expressed that as long as you know your science, why should your hair or tattoos or piercings matter? And I totally agree!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Yikes I don't even know how to put fake eyelashes on or what the heck contouring even is (like I know but wouldn't have the first clue about where to start). 

I miss my pink hair, I wish it was acceptable in my field. I recently went from "surfer blonde" to chestnut brown as it doesn't cost as much to maintain. 

So, fake eyelashes seem really daunting at first, but you can order like 80 pairs online for like ten bucks, and then for 3 or 4 dollars find some glue. I also invested in mini-scissors which are really cute. Then I cut them into thirds and I only put the outer third on, and they look pretty natural. It was kind of weird at first, but now it takes me like 30 seconds every morning to put them on. But also, I totally understand about the acceptable in my field thing. I volunteer at a math tutoring thing and a disgruntled parent thought I wasn't giving her special snowflake enough attention (I was at a table with three kids) and told me I looked more fit to attend a tea party than teach anyone math. Pshh. She wasn't fit to do either of those things. 

3 minutes ago, raaawr said:

Wow! I had no idea it was ok to go to interviews outside of my field (fashion) with different hair colors. Haha. I thought like the science interviews would be strict. That is so cool though! :)

I didn't have any interviews, because it's frowned upon in philosophy to let such subjectivity into the selection process. (I don't know if I agree with the subjectivity claim, but I don't know if interviews would help them in philosophy, so  I guess it's fine.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Yikes I don't even know how to put fake eyelashes on or what the heck contouring even is (like I know but wouldn't have the first clue about where to start). 

I miss my pink hair, I wish it was acceptable in my field. I recently went from "surfer blonde" to chestnut brown as it doesn't cost as much to maintain. 

This is making me miss my blue hair! I have really dark curly brown hair, but I used to have neon blue and purple streaks all over while I was in high school. It looked so awesome and was tons of fun, but I was having trouble finding a job. I was told straight up that I would not be hired unless I changed my hair. After a few awful waitress/bartending jobs, I gave up and dyed it back- and immediately got a job outside of food service. I miss my fun hair so much! 
Because my hair is so dark/thick, it would take AGES to bleach it light enough to hold a bright blue. I'm really glad I did it, though. Love all the pics everyone is posting!

I wear full face makeup every day. It's sort of my morning therapy. I find it very relaxing! BB creme, foundation, concealer, contouring (but I use powder), eyebrows and full eye makeup with winged liquid eyeliner. I love dramatic eye makeup, but I try to keep the rest of my makeup soft and natural. I grew up in theatre so I'm great at applying false eyelashes, but I hate wearing them!
One of my favorite brands is NYX Cosmetics, and I'm in love with Smashbox's Photo Primer Water. Anyone else have some favorites?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanna hear back from the remaining schools now. Acceptances/rejections I don't care, these applications have been completed and submitted since OCTOBER and I've only heard anything from one school. It's not cool. I'm fed up of waiting. I'm fed up of being patient. If I wasn't so flipping busy I'd have reached this point a while ago. JUST TELL MEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I find it ludicrous that my friend applied to a PhD in the UK at the end of January, he had his interview last week and will find out this week whether or not he's in. I can even forgive a little lee-way over holiday periods if deadlines were before Xmas. But seriously. 

I'm totally cool. Vent done. It's funny how all the little things compile until you hit a point where you just have to shut down and hide under the duvet. I hit that at the weekend and, despite my little rant above, I feel a lot more able to cope with work load, training load, parental stress, family health issues and grad school season. If someone wanted to pay for me to go on a mini holiday for a few days that would be awesome. Sunshine and warmth are severely needed right now.

 

And now that my tangent is over, 

9 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

I was surprised too, but during one of my visits at Penn State one of the directors expressed that as long as you know your science, why should your hair or tattoos or piercings matter? And I totally agree!

this is awesome!!! I have a few tattoos and piercings and they are part of me and my personality. They don't dictate intelligence, and neither does hair colour/length/style etc.

 

@bugabooo on the very rare occasion I wear makeup I love Bobbi Brown stuff for foundations, concealer and blusher. Weirdly, victoria's secret mascara looks awesome on my eyes and I do love my MAC red lipstick. 

Edited by hippyscientist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have you guys traveled with hair color different from your passport? I haven't done that yet and i'm kind of worried that the immigration officers might not accept me cause i have my natural black hair color on my passport picture. haha. and since it looks like i'm going to get rejected soon i figured i'm going to take a vacation in LA before starting my applications for next season. lol.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, raaawr said:

have you guys traveled with hair color different from your passport? I haven't done that yet and i'm kind of worried that the immigration officers might not accept me cause i have my natural black hair color on my passport picture. haha. and since it looks like i'm going to get rejected soon i figured i'm going to take a vacation in LA before starting my applications for next season. lol.

 

Oh, my gosh, that's why I'm vaguely paranoid to ever go back to my natural (brown) color. I don't want to have to update my hair color on everything. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bugabooo said:

This is making me miss my blue hair! I have really dark curly brown hair, but I used to have neon blue and purple streaks all over while I was in high school. It looked so awesome and was tons of fun, but I was having trouble finding a job. I was told straight up that I would not be hired unless I changed my hair. After a few awful waitress/bartending jobs, I gave up and dyed it back- and immediately got a job outside of food service. I miss my fun hair so much! 
Because my hair is so dark/thick, it would take AGES to bleach it light enough to hold a bright blue. I'm really glad I did it, though. Love all the pics everyone is posting!

I wear full face makeup every day. It's sort of my morning therapy. I find it very relaxing! BB creme, foundation, concealer, contouring (but I use powder), eyebrows and full eye makeup with winged liquid eyeliner. I love dramatic eye makeup, but I try to keep the rest of my makeup soft and natural. I grew up in theatre so I'm great at applying false eyelashes, but I hate wearing them!
One of my favorite brands is NYX Cosmetics, and I'm in love with Smashbox's Photo Primer Water. Anyone else have some favorites?

I use Tigi for my contour. I just bought like a powder foundation made for people who are tan, and since I'm pale it's like the perfect contour color. Most days I use smashbox eyeliner, the NAKED (the first one) pallet for eyeshadows, mirabella and dermalogica primers, Cover FX liquid foundation, Urban Decay's mascara (I put it on my fake eyelashes and it makes them blend with my real ones), and mirabella's lipgloss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Oh, my gosh, that's why I'm vaguely paranoid to ever go back to my natural (brown) color. I don't want to have to update my hair color on everything. :P

My wife is a hair stylist who wildly changes her hair from month to month. Her hair color has ran the gamut, and her style has ranged from mohawk to pixie cut.

She gets some double takes on occasion when traveling, but they've never done more. I'm sure it's generally fine. :) However, I do have one caveat. I used to have blue spiked hair and I got far more "extra security screenings" than an average person. I didn't mind it too much, but it is somewhat distasteful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, bugabooo said:

This is making me miss my blue hair! I have really dark curly brown hair, but I used to have neon blue and purple streaks all over while I was in high school. It looked so awesome and was tons of fun, but I was having trouble finding a job. I was told straight up that I would not be hired unless I changed my hair. After a few awful waitress/bartending jobs, I gave up and dyed it back- and immediately got a job outside of food service. I miss my fun hair so much! 
Because my hair is so dark/thick, it would take AGES to bleach it light enough to hold a bright blue. I'm really glad I did it, though. Love all the pics everyone is posting!

I wear full face makeup every day. It's sort of my morning therapy. I find it very relaxing! BB creme, foundation, concealer, contouring (but I use powder), eyebrows and full eye makeup with winged liquid eyeliner. I love dramatic eye makeup, but I try to keep the rest of my makeup soft and natural. I grew up in theatre so I'm great at applying false eyelashes, but I hate wearing them!
One of my favorite brands is NYX Cosmetics, and I'm in love with Smashbox's Photo Primer Water. Anyone else have some favorites?

i love doing winged eyeliner too! it's my signature look. haha! i prefer gel eyeliner over liquid though. i like benefit's push up liner cause i don't need a separate brush and i also like MAC fluidline gel liner. :) i prefer laura mercier tinted moisturizer over foundation but i ran out recently so currently i'm using urban decay naked foundation. i like the coverage, i don't even need to use concealer anymore :) for eyeshadow i use both urban decay and mac. for blush i use nars or the benefit fine one one and for lipstick my favorite mac diva lipstick. :D i am a makeup hoarder. lol! i haven't mastered contouring yet though. that's the next thing on my make up to do list. haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bugabooo said:

This is making me miss my blue hair! I have really dark curly brown hair, but I used to have neon blue and purple streaks all over while I was in high school. It looked so awesome and was tons of fun, but I was having trouble finding a job. I was told straight up that I would not be hired unless I changed my hair. After a few awful waitress/bartending jobs, I gave up and dyed it back- and immediately got a job outside of food service. I miss my fun hair so much! 
Because my hair is so dark/thick, it would take AGES to bleach it light enough to hold a bright blue. I'm really glad I did it, though. Love all the pics everyone is posting!

I wear full face makeup every day. It's sort of my morning therapy. I find it very relaxing! BB creme, foundation, concealer, contouring (but I use powder), eyebrows and full eye makeup with winged liquid eyeliner. I love dramatic eye makeup, but I try to keep the rest of my makeup soft and natural. I grew up in theatre so I'm great at applying false eyelashes, but I hate wearing them!
One of my favorite brands is NYX Cosmetics, and I'm in love with Smashbox's Photo Primer Water. Anyone else have some favorites?

YES to NYX! It was the makeup they used on the first season of RuPaul's Drag Race and I decided then that if you could turn those men into beautiful ladies it could make ME a beautiful lady too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, raaawr said:

have you guys traveled with hair color different from your passport? I haven't done that yet and i'm kind of worried that the immigration officers might not accept me cause i have my natural black hair color on my passport picture. haha. and since it looks like i'm going to get rejected soon i figured i'm going to take a vacation in LA before starting my applications for next season. lol.

 

Not with passport, but I def have different hair than in my license photo and it hasn't been an issue bc my face is the same. I'm probably going to have to wear a wig when I get my passport done bc I don't plan on going back to my natural hair color anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Oh, my gosh, that's why I'm vaguely paranoid to ever go back to my natural (brown) color. I don't want to have to update my hair color on everything. :P

what's your current hair color? lol. my dad has been telling me to go back to my natural color every time we see each other and he told me i might have problems at the airport with my current color but i'm enjoying my pink hair so much. i'm thinking of dyeing it galaxy hair though. i was just waiting for an interview before i dye it again but it looks like i wont get one so i probably would be dyeing it soon. lol! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

Not with passport, but I def have different hair than in my license photo and it hasn't been an issue bc my face is the same. I'm probably going to have to wear a wig when I get my passport done bc I don't plan on going back to my natural hair color anytime soon.

when i travel next month, i will let you know if hair color and passport hair color is going to be an issue or not. lol. hopefully it's not an issue :))

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never had any issues with hair colour when travelling (I've gone with blonde, pink, blue, purple, green and red hair as well as my natural brunette). I have had issues with other stuff while travelling - such as not looking at all like my old photo (it was taken when I was 15 and I look NOTHING like it now, face shape has changed and eyes have lightened) but not really hair colour issues. You should be fine travelling. 

They do like to "randomly" profile quirky/not the cookie-cutter suburban middle class family though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rhombusbombus said:

YES to NYX! It was the makeup they used on the first season of RuPaul's Drag Race and I decided then that if you could turn those men into beautiful ladies it could make ME a beautiful lady too!

Oh my gosh, I had no clue! That's really cool, thanks for sharing. :D 
I have skin issues that change with the seasons, and NYX has so many affordable options that are very kind to my skin. Their BB cream is one of my must-have products because it's so lightweight and it really looks like you're not even wearing any makeup. I'd love for people to think my skin just looks this great naturally. 

@raaawr I just can't handle gel eyeliner! I've tried SO many types, but I've gotten so good with the super thin brush NYX liquid liner has that gel feels clumpy and heavy. It looks great done right, though. Very striking on you, I'm sure!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

I've never had any issues with hair colour when travelling (I've gone with blonde, pink, blue, purple, green and red hair as well as my natural brunette). I have had issues with other stuff while travelling - such as not looking at all like my old photo (it was taken when I was 15 and I look NOTHING like it now, face shape has changed and eyes have lightened) but not really hair colour issues. You should be fine travelling. 

They do like to "randomly" profile quirky/not the cookie-cutter suburban middle class family though.

american airports are scary! lol!

2 minutes ago, bugabooo said:

Oh my gosh, I had no clue! That's really cool, thanks for sharing. :D 
I have skin issues that change with the seasons, and NYX has so many affordable options that are very kind to my skin. Their BB cream is one of my must-have products because it's so lightweight and it really looks like you're not even wearing any makeup. I'd love for people to think my skin just looks this great naturally. 

@raaawr I just can't handle gel eyeliner! I've tried SO many types, but I've gotten so good with the super thin brush NYX liquid liner has that gel feels clumpy and heavy. It looks great done right, though. Very striking on you, I'm sure!

and i can't handle liquid liner! lol! i like to open and close my eyes a lot whenever i do my eyes so the liquid always smears all over my lids, but the gel dries a little faster so i don't have smearing problems. my sister likes liquid liner but i forgot which brand though. haha!

1 minute ago, FoxAndChicken said:

TWINSIES!

yay! lol! this is so fun! hooray for crazy hair colors! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Liquid eyeliner is the bane of my existence. I feel like I have to apply it sitting down, it stresses me out so much. I love doing cat eyes when I have the time and the steady hand for it, and they look amazing, but that is just a heckuva lot of patience. By nature, I am an extremely high strung person (in case that wasn't obvious). You folks with the talent for it get my kudos. :)

We are now at midday. I am losing hope by the minute that I will hear even this week. I'm sure there is a thin rejection letter all neatly folded, addressed, and sitting in the outgoing mail at the department office as we speak. Oh, poor little letter, innocent letterhead paper, it isn't your fault. I shall try to resist burning you when you finally arrive. *sniffle*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now