WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

3 minutes ago, magicsana said:

I got rejected from UCDavis, and Emory University. Now waiting for Claremont and Boston Uni :(. Every day is a killer.

Sorry to hear that. :( 

18 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

@The Interdisciplinarian and @Neist I'll third the feeling that it's a long week. I keep thinking we're closer to the weekend than we are. It's because I have exciting things next week and so I want it to be next week already. I'm fed up of checkin my emails constantly too.

I wish I could automatically tally how often I peek up at my notifications to check if I have a new email. I do it quite often.

4 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

This week will be the longest week ever in Februgatory.

I agree. Ergh.

13 minutes ago, KingNikolai1 said:

So I was having nightmares that I would get rejected from Yale, looks like my subconscious was right because I found out yesterday. It wasn't the best fit, so I am not really upset. Still waiting on Columbia which is my other top pick. Either way, I am incredibly grateful that I have two acceptances, and UCLA is likely to give me some sort of financial package. The best part is that the historical dates for Slavic on the results page are so off that you can get a better idea of when you'll hear back by consulting tarot cards and fortune telling.

A lot of my programs are similar. The smaller, niche programs really aren't represented heavily enough on Grad Cafe to make results all that useful. Even so, I'm surprised that there's not more results posted. I know OU history of science accepted ~9ish. I suppose they either lurk or don't visit the boards. I think BGSU PopC was planning on accepting up to 10 or so, although I haven't checked with the department since they've made decisions. It might be a significantly smaller yield than previously thought.

8 minutes ago, Neist said:

A lot of my programs are similar. The smaller, niche programs really aren't represented heavily enough on Grad Cafe to make results all that useful. Even so, I'm surprised that there's not more results posted. I know OU history of science accepted ~9ish. I suppose they either lurk or don't visit the boards. I think BGSU PopC was planning on accepting up to 10 or so, although I haven't checked with the department since they've made decisions. It might be a significantly smaller yield than previously thought.

Small programs are definitely mis- or un-represented here. Only one of my programs was on the boards and that's only because the department is a huge PT one. Unfortunately, in my field a large grad program is an intake  ~ 5. There's not many schools either that do it so not many opportunities. In some ways, I'm glad. It means I can't freak out if someone else gets notified! But I have no clue when I'm meant to hear back either. Double-edged sword.

49 minutes ago, The Interdisciplinarian said:

Hang in there, @Neist. I know grading feeling dreary is terrible, and it's probably not good for those getting graded, either. ;)

I'm meeting a friend for margaritas tonight and thinking I should probably plan one small thing to do like that every day. Last night it was watching a documentary I like, tonight it'll be margaritas, maybe tomorrow I'll pick up a new pair of shoes or something. But yes, otherwise, this is going to feel like one long, horrible week, and it's only Tuesday.

I second this thought. For some reason, knowing that grad school will be hell for me just gets me kind of depressed, and I also have hundreds of papers (well... lab reports) to grade. Sunday night I went clothes shopping, last night I made pizza... tonight I'm watching "How I Met Your Mother" before I go to bed. Strange how something so small can increase your happiness so much. 

One thing that also works is buying stuff online to have something to look forward to. Seriously, buy a fancy pen, a pack of stickers, some chocolate-covered cherries... something.

On that note, don't forget to use up your free 6-month Amazon Prime trial before your current .edu address expires :)

Edited by Pink Fuzzy Bunny

2 minutes ago, hippyscientist said:

Small programs are definitely mis- or un-represented here. Only one of my programs was on the boards and that's only because the department is a huge PT one. Unfortunately, in my field a large grad program is an intake  ~ 5. There's not many schools either that do it so not many opportunities. In some ways, I'm glad. It means I can't freak out if someone else gets notified! But I have no clue when I'm meant to hear back either. Double-edged sword.

STS, which is more what I lean towards disciplinarily, is also pretty tiny. There's maybe half a dozen programs in the US, and they all have fairly small cohorts. History of science isn't much better. U. of OK has about a 50% admissions rate, but they only fund 1-2 per year (so their entering cohort is pretty small). There were 18 applicants this year, so odds were not stacked in one's favor. :) I'm actually pretty proud of myself that I'm high on the funding wait list there. It means I was among the top candidates.

7 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I second this thought. For some reason, knowing that grad school will be hell for me just gets me kind of depressed, and I also have hundreds of papers (well... lab reports) to grade. Sunday night I went clothes shopping, last night I made pizza... tonight I'm watching "How I Met Your Mother" before I go to bed. Strange how something so small can increase your happiness so much. 

One thing that also works is buying stuff online to have something to look forward to. Seriously, buy a fancy pen, a pack of stickers, some chocolate-covered cherries... something.

I got some papers in early and I'm actually pleased to say that many students took my feedback and attempted to do better. :D Oh the joy of helping people improve, especially when they want to. I really do think I'd love to teach.

4 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

On that note, don't forget to use up your free 6-month Amazon Prime trial before your current .edu address expires :)

I like nice stationary. I'm a big fan. My daily exciting thing is that my friend keeps sending me coding projects. :D I am learning about arrays right now. 

Does the admissions committee dislike it if you email asking about the status of your application? I know others have been accepted into the program, but not necessarily all at once. Still, it's getting kind of late in the game, right? As with all of you: incredibly anxious.

1 minute ago, aid said:

Does the admissions committee dislike it if you email asking about the status of your application? I know others have been accepted into the program, but not necessarily all at once. Still, it's getting kind of late in the game, right? As with all of you: incredibly anxious.

Whether it's late or not depends on the programs- I've heard back from 1 school out of 11 applied, whereas some here have heard from every school where they put in applications.

If it looks like acceptances are being done in waves, I would just wait it out. If there are a whole bunch of acceptances/waitlists at once, and you haven't heard anything back, there's no harm in emailing though.

4 minutes ago, aid said:

One of my program said that I can expect to get a result within 2-3 weeks after my interview. It has been a little bit over 1 month, so I sent an email yesterday to ask about my status. No respond until now. So if you think you have waited long enough, sending one email will not harm. If you get accepted, you will know it. If you get waitlisted, you will know it. If you get rejected, you can skip paying mental cost to that school. If they are still considering, they will tell you. But you should expect that they may not reply that email, as I have heard in some cases in this forum ( and myself too).

7 minutes ago, aid said:

I agree with @Euler. I'd consider waiting a week or two into March before bothering anyone. By mid March, most programs should generally be finished making decisions. You might poke around for historic averages on the results, though. The program I applied to at Cornell hasn't notified people well into March in the past.

1 minute ago, iloveOM said:

One of my program said that I can expect to get a result within 2-3 weeks after my interview. It has been a little bit over 1 month, so I sent an email yesterday to ask about my status. No respond until now. So if you think you have waited long enough, sending one email will not harm. If you get accepted, you will know it. If you get waitlisted, you will know it. If you get rejected, you can skip paying mental cost to that school. If they are still considering, they will tell you. But you should expect that they may not reply that email, as I have heard in some cases in this forum ( and myself too).

I agree. The only program I've reached out to had told me nothing after acceptances had been out for several weeks. They told me they were still sifting through applications, so you never know. Maybe programs respond as they review applications, not all at once. 

It's really hard to say.

my brain has already accepted my assumed rejection since i haven't received an interview yet and i know that they are interviewing all finalists to my program so now it doesn't hurt as much anymore saying it out loud to my siblings and friends that i've been rejected. in the mean time, i will just work harder this year to make my portfolio stronger. there's no rest for the wicked. lol.

Congrats to all who have gotten offers, and condolences to those who haven't yet gotten any!

I've applied to 3 schools, and so far have one offer (not funded though, poo, and to me a non-funded offer is no offer) and am eagerly awaiting hearing from the others. I feel like I have a pretty good chance of getting into both, and a great chance at getting into one of them, but the waiting is kiiiiiiilllllinnnng meeeeeee. I just want to know!

Also I have senioritis really badly right now. I have an exam tomorrow that I really haven't studied for :-/ so I guess I need to get on that instead of compulsively refreshing my email and logging in to check my application statuses.

Ugh. I'm waiting on funding info from one program...they told me it would be sent "early [this] week"... and yesterday came and went. And I'm really trying hard to be patient, but I'd really like to start planning and getting some sort of concrete idea of what I'll be doing in the fall.

I'm also waiting to hear on the last of my 6 programs. Feburgatory is the worst. 

But I do agree with the buying yourself things. I'm having fun buying outfits for admitted students day. :)

3 minutes ago, geobsessed said:

Congrats to all who have gotten offers, and condolences to those who haven't yet gotten any!

I've applied to 3 schools, and so far have one offer (not funded though, poo, and to me a non-funded offer is no offer) and am eagerly awaiting hearing from the others. I feel like I have a pretty good chance of getting into both, and a great chance at getting into one of them, but the waiting is kiiiiiiilllllinnnng meeeeeee. I just want to know!

Also I have senioritis really badly right now. I have an exam tomorrow that I really haven't studied for :-/ so I guess I need to get on that instead of compulsively refreshing my email and logging in to check my application statuses.

Same. As much as I'd like to currently be debt free and able to live in poverty for a few years (which I'm certainly capable of doing), I have a family to support. No funding or bad funding makes offers difficult to consider.

Just now, nevermind said:

Ugh. I'm waiting on funding info from one program...they told me it would be sent "early [this] week"... and yesterday came and went. And I'm really trying hard to be patient, but I'd really like to start planning and getting some sort of concrete idea of what I'll be doing in the fall.

I'm also waiting to hear on the last of my 6 programs. Feburgatory is the worst. 

But I do agree with the buying yourself things. I'm having fun buying outfits for admitted students day. :)

Did they ever tell you if you were accepted into science studies? I assumed acceptance into it was only a formality, but I wasn't sure.

3 minutes ago, Neist said:

Same. As much as I'd like to currently be debt free and able to live in poverty for a few years (which I'm certainly capable of doing), I have a family to support. No funding or bad funding makes offers difficult to consider.

Did they ever tell you if you were accepted into science studies? I assumed acceptance into it was only a formality, but I wasn't sure.

I asked about when funding information would be sent out and was pretty explicit, saying that I'd applied to the joint program and I didn't know if that would factor into my funding package / notification. They told me that they've "been in contact" with the Science Studies program and that funding info would be sent "early next week" (this was on Friday). So I'm assuming it means I'm in. The acceptance letter said that official acceptance through the graduate school is pending, so I'm assuming all the funding decisions have been made, they're just waiting on the graduate school's stamp of approval. 

Also, my POI is in the Science Studies program, so it would only make sense. :)

Edited by nevermind

3 minutes ago, Neist said:

Yes indeed. If I don't get full funding, I'm willing to take out a small amount of loans if I have to, as right now my loan debt isn't that bad at all compared to most, and with my degree I expect my return on that investment to be pretty high. But if I don't get any funding... all the schools I have applied to are out of state, and I am just not willing to go into that much debt.