WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

Literally watching the 2016 applicant forum in my field blow up with responses people received. I've heard back from 3/12 programs- 2 rejections, and 1 interview to a school I was wait-listed at last year (I'll get their answer sometime next month). The anticipation is the worst part. I just need one acceptance in order to breath easy. Just one :( I think I unintentionally applied to all the programs that wait until the last minute to give you a response... Or is it a good sign that they weren't immediate rejections?

22 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

That's funny... UIUC didn't even close! 

I know! They keep tweeting pictures about how beautiful it is!
But I have a connecting flight at Chicago O'Hare, and that's where everything is canceled.

BOOOOOOOOOOO

Edited by rhombusbombus

53 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

I know! They keep tweeting pictures about how beautiful it is!
But I have a connecting flight at Chicago O'Hare, and that's where everything is canceled.

BOOOOOOOOOOO

It is so beautiful. My sister is a professor in atmospheric sciences at UIUC... she's having a field day :D

@Pink Fuzzy Bunny The pictures look amazing! But not bad enough for my flight to be messed with!
I was just told that another recruit who was on the same flight as me was changed but they're going to make it in on thursday still! 

I'm currently on hold with American Airlines to beg them to get me in on thursday bc recruitment weekend waits for no one!

Welp, I'm calculating logistics of possibly moving across country.

Is it wrong that I find this fun? I like to plan things. It's so gratifying. I also wrote a lengthy email to one of the programs I was accepted into requesting clarification on several points.

So. Much. Fun. I'm a dork.

Hi guys! Sorry I haven't been here the past few days. I've been reading posts though! 

I had a great recruitment visit at Delaware on Monday and Tuesday! It was so much fun! 

Hope you all have been well <3 

Just now, gingin6789 said:

Hi guys! Sorry I haven't been here the past few days. I've been reading posts though! 

I had a great recruitment visit at Delaware on Monday and Tuesday! It was so much fun! 

Hope you all have been well <3 

Good to hear! Any idea where you might be headed, or are you still hoping to squeeze in some "paid vacations" (i.e., recruitment visits) before you decide?

3 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Good to hear! Any idea where you might be headed, or are you still hoping to squeeze in some "paid vacations" (i.e., recruitment visits) before you decide?

Thank you!! Oh I still have four more visits, and I'm trying to keep an open mind for all of them! I finish my visits in late March! How about you? I'm sure you have lots of places to visit! 

1 hour ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Good :D So you'll be coming in tomorrow? Best of luck!

Sure will! My student host is going to pick me up in Peoria! SO NICE!

I'm also going into this visit with an open mind. 

I'm mostly set on Penn State, but who knows, everything could change after this visit.

Heck, earlier this month I thought I was going to love UCR the most!

Hey everyone! 

I have a rather difficult decision before me, I would really appreciate help

I am a student from India (woman) with a Bachelors' degree in Polymer Science and Technology GRE 339/ TOEFL 119/ GPA 3.95

I have acceptances to 1)UIUC - Materials Science and Engineering and 2)UMich Ann Arbor - Macromolecular Science and Engineering (both for Masters, funded)

Which of the universities would offer me better opportunities in terms of jobs in the industry? The basic dilemma lies in whether I should choose to diversify my field by joining a materials science program or whether I must delve deeper into polymer and macromolecular science studies. 

Thank you in advance for your inputs!

Edited by DecisionDilemmaDread

@DecisionDilemmaDreadwelcome! You've got some awesome GRE scores and GPA, by the way!

You should check out the engineering forum, where they will be likely to know more about the programs you mentioned. However, maybe some engineering folks in this thread can help you too! 

I'm in sociology, so I'm not even sure what those types of engineering involve! So I can't help you :-(

Edited by gingin6789

32 minutes ago, rhombusbombus said:

Sure will! My student host is going to pick me up in Peoria! SO NICE!

bahaha. I'm not sure if the "So nice" is in response to a student picking you up or your expectations of Peoria. Have fun! There's not a lot in Peoria (tiiiiny airport). I grew up about 1.5 hours from there and drive through it every time I go home to see my parents. Hopefully UIUC is better. :)

28 minutes ago, nevermind said:

bahaha. I'm not sure if the "So nice" is in response to a student picking you up or your expectations of Peoria. Have fun! There's not a lot in Peoria (tiiiiny airport). I grew up about 1.5 hours from there and drive through it every time I go home to see my parents. Hopefully UIUC is better. :)

so nice to pick me up! my sister lives near SAFB, so I just assume all of illinois is cornfield. but it should at least look magical with a fresh blanket of snow!

1 hour ago, DecisionDilemmaDread said:

Hey everyone! 

I have a rather difficult decision before me, I would really appreciate help

I am a student from India (woman) with a Bachelors' degree in Polymer Science and Technology GRE 339/ TOEFL 119/ GPA 3.95

I have acceptances to 1)UIUC - Materials Science and Engineering and 2)UMich Ann Arbor - Macromolecular Science and Engineering (both for Masters, funded)

Which of the universities would offer me better opportunities in terms of jobs in the industry? The basic dilemma lies in whether I should choose to diversify my field by joining a materials science program or whether I must delve deeper into polymer and macromolecular science studies. 

Thank you in advance for your inputs!

As someone with a MatSci degree... UIUC would probably have a slight edge, if that's the general direction you want to go in. Both schools will result in great career opportunities, though! In the end, it's what you make of it!

3 hours ago, Neist said:

Welp, I'm calculating logistics of possibly moving across country.

Is it wrong that I find this fun? I like to plan things. It's so gratifying. I also wrote a lengthy email to one of the programs I was accepted into requesting clarification on several points.

So. Much. Fun. I'm a dork.

I'm with you on this. I have to find everything out, and then I feel comfortable. I think my friend (I've only told one I've been accepted somewhere as it's really unofficial until I have the letter saying so) is fed up of my excited ramblings "THEY HAVE THIS. AND THIS. I COULD AFFORD THIS" texts that she's getting every 5 minutes. 

I've figured out the rough area I'd need to live, a budget, moving costs (including flights, apartment deposits, cars, etc), what I need to do to get my drivers license (I've been licensed for 7 years at home and driven all over the world but still need to get a local one), where I can train still, holiday trips from there etc. It helps that one of my really good friends lives about 2 hour drive from the school I've been accepted to, but he'd probably be able to pop in for a coffee with his helicopter (he's in flight school not ridiculously rich unfortunately). I want it to be official now so I can start emailing complexes and figuring out this whole international student renting a place deal.

4 hours ago, katpillow said:

As someone with a MatSci degree... UIUC would probably have a slight edge, if that's the general direction you want to go in. Both schools will result in great career opportunities, though! In the end, it's what you make of it!

Thank you for the reassurance... I really appreciate your response! :)