WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD

Dr. Brains

7 hours ago, nevermind said:

bahaha. I'm not sure if the "So nice" is in response to a student picking you up or your expectations of Peoria. Have fun! There's not a lot in Peoria (tiiiiny airport). I grew up about 1.5 hours from there and drive through it every time I go home to see my parents. Hopefully UIUC is better. :)

I grew up in Peoria... I've commuted to around UIUC many, many times. That's quite a trek :D

@rhombusbombus Yeeeeah visiting isn't going to happen. I'm only visiting Cornell... it's all my damn TA schedule can afford me :'(

2 hours ago, hippyscientist said:

We're down to 4 days left of Februgatory...there's still time people. 

In other news, March 2nd needs to hurry up already 

I always forget february only has 28 days until the end of the month comes... well, 29 this year. They wanted februgatory to last a little bit longer this year. 

I hope everyone is holding on okay! Everyone who is still waiting has my total emotional support. It's rough. I know. :( 

I'm trying to figure out how a well-below-poverty income is going to support a family of three. :D I think it'll be fine. I have no shame, so I'm going to apply for SNAP.

Just now, Neist said:

I hope everyone is holding on okay! Everyone who is still waiting has my total emotional support. It's rough. I know. :( 

I'm trying to figure out how a well-below-poverty income is going to support a family of three. :D I think it'll be fine. I have no shame, so I'm going to apply for SNAP.

I told my parents just this morning that I will need to ask them for money to fly home for holidays and asked if I could take the old crappy mattress from the basement with me. NO SHAME.

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

I told my parents just this morning that I will need to ask them for money to fly home for holidays and asked if I could take the old crappy mattress from the basement with me. NO SHAME.

The woes of being poor! :D 

I actually will have some savings to help transition, but I have to move an entire family, and I'll need to get another car if I move. I have a car, but it's not going to make it across country. If I was single I could probably go without a car, but not with a kid. That'd be absurdly difficult.

22 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

@Neist.. Sorry I forget, but have you made up your mind yet where you're going? BGS?

Probably!

However. I'm the first-in-line on a wait list for funding at OU in a history of science and MLIS dual degree. It'd be for a full 54 credit hours of funding (tuition, stipend, etc.). If I get it, it'd be pretty generous funding for a dual MA program, and it's at the university that I'm currently attending, so I'd save money on moving expenses. The program also painlessly transitions into their PhD program, so it'd only be an extra three years for a PhD. But there's the whole academic incest issue to consider. 

If I got funding, I'd have to seriously consider both options. Even so, I'm planning for BGSU because it's all I got on the table right now. :) If that's the only option I get, I need to make sure the logistics pan out.

Hows Cornell planning going for you? 

I'm also unsure until I hear back the results of the NSFGRFP. A giant fellowship might obviously affect my choices. I might consider Drexel, even. They cant charge me tuition if I get it, and the stipend would be more than enough to support myself in Philly.

Edited by Neist

I received an email yesterday for an interview through skype in the evening today. However, I just feel so-so about participating in the interview.

What is wrong with me, as this school is very good? May be I am just too tired waiting for results from other schools before this interview offer comes up. And today is Thursday. One more day before the end of Februgatory.

20 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

I received an email yesterday for an interview through skype in the evening today. However, I just feel so-so about participating in the interview.

What is wrong with me, as this school is very good? May be I am just too tired waiting for results from other schools before this interview offer comes up. And today is Thursday. One more day before the end of Februgatory.

It's been a draining month! But I'd still do the interview, if you can will yourself up to it. :) 

2 minutes ago, Neist said:

It's been a draining month! But I'd still do the interview, if you can will yourself up to it. :) 

Sure I will still do the interview, as the school is better than my first(until now) admit. I have like 5 more hours to clear my mind and prepare for it.

My first admit has sent a lot of emails to me, from different people. mostly for congratulation and inquiry for any question I may have. Is it impolite to reply to the email 2-3 days later?  I do not want to repeat that I will consider that school and inform them later, because I have already done so. I just want to think of something to ask and make the conversation more beneficial.

1 minute ago, iloveOM said:

Sure I will still do the interview, as the school is better than my first(until now) admit. I have like 5 more hours to clear my mind and prepare for it.

My first admit has sent a lot of emails to me, from different people. mostly for congratulation and inquiry for any question I may have. Is it impolite to reply to the email 2-3 days later?  I do not want to repeat that I will consider that school and inform them later, because I have already done so. I just want to think of something to ask and make the conversation more beneficial.

I've taken longer than that to respond, just because I wanted to thoughtfully consider any questions in regards to the program and where to continue from that point forward, but I'm not sure if it's an appropriate action. I just know I did it, and I didn't have any negative response after doing so. :) 

I think waiting is fine, but that's just my two cents.

13 minutes ago, Neist said:

I've taken longer than that to respond, just because I wanted to thoughtfully consider any questions in regards to the program and where to continue from that point forward, but I'm not sure if it's an appropriate action. I just know I did it, and I didn't have any negative response after doing so. :) 

I think waiting is fine, but that's just my two cents.

Even though I did not mention any POI in the admission essay to that school, the professor who interviewed me sent an email yesterday. She said that she really wants me to accept the offer and ask if I have any question. What should I reply? I like that school ( because of research fit) ,and that professor is very good and friendly ,but I need to hear from my top choices too. Ahhhh.....

The deadline to accept the offer is April 15. I hope that they understand that I have other choices to consider zz

Edited by iloveOM

11 minutes ago, iloveOM said:

Even though I did not mention any POI in the admission essay to that school, the professor who interviewed me sent an email yesterday. She said that she really wants me to accept the offer and ask if I have any question. What should I reply? I like that school ( because of research fit) ,and that professor is very good and friendly ,but I need to hear from my top choices too. Ahhhh.....

The deadline to accept the offer is April 15. I hope that they understand that I have other choices to consider zz

I can only say what I'd reply, but I'd give it a few days, think about it, and respond that I really enjoyed talking to them and was really impressed with the program, but that I'd need some time to fully digest the complete implications of accepting their program.

Or something like that. :) Polite, but deferring.

It's been a long two weeks, but I finally get to edit my signature again! Thankfully with some great news, too. 

I'm still going to hold out for these other programs, but I am so so so happy I can complete the dual degree at UT-Austin.

4 minutes ago, Neist said:

I can only say what I'd reply, but I'd give it a few days, think about it, and respond that I really enjoyed talking to them and was really impressed with the program, but that I'd need some time to fully digest the complete implications of accepting their program.

Or something like that. :) Polite, but deferring.

Thank for the advice @Neist I really appreciate it. But I need to ace my interview today first :D

2 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

It's been a long two weeks, but I finally get to edit my signature again! Thankfully with some great news, too. 

I'm still going to hold out for these other programs, but I am so so so happy I can complete the dual degree at UT-Austin.

Congratulation :D and welcome to the hot and dry of Texas :))

4 minutes ago, RCtheSS said:

Speaking of dual degrees, I just found out I got funding for the dual degree program I was accepted into. Woo!

Thanks, @iloveOM! I'm a Florida native, so hopefully I'll be able to adjust to the weather well enough! I have never been to Texas though, so it's time to schedule a visit!

Just now, Neist said:

Speaking of dual degrees, I just found out I got funding for the dual degree program I was accepted into. Woo!

Great news all around! That's awesome, congrats!

Just now, RCtheSS said:

Great news all around! That's awesome, congrats!

Thanks! :D It's for a MLIS/history of science dual degree program. I feel pretty lucky because funded MLIS degrees are somewhat uncommon, and the funding is for up to 5 years, which is far more than necessary for the degree, to be honest.

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Probably!

However. I'm the first-in-line on a wait list for funding at OU in a history of science and MLIS dual degree. It'd be for a full 54 credit hours of funding (tuition, stipend, etc.). If I get it, it'd be pretty generous funding for a dual MA program, and it's at the university that I'm currently attending, so I'd save money on moving expenses. The program also painlessly transitions into their PhD program, so it'd only be an extra three years for a PhD. But there's the whole academic incest issue to consider. 

If I got funding, I'd have to seriously consider both options. Even so, I'm planning for BGSU because it's all I got on the table right now. :) If that's the only option I get, I need to make sure the logistics pan out.

Hows Cornell planning going for you? 

I'm also unsure until I hear back the results of the NSFGRFP. A giant fellowship might obviously affect my choices. I might consider Drexel, even. They cant charge me tuition if I get it, and the stipend would be more than enough to support myself in Philly.

Ah... well, best of luck :D And the post you mentioned lower down is for the OU dual-degree program, or what?

Also, I agree with the NSFGRFP. I wish I could wait until I find out about it to decide, but if I waited until the end of March to find housing I'd be living in a cardboard box next year. Why does it take 6 months to hear back?!?!

12 minutes ago, Neist said:

Thanks! :D It's for a MLIS/history of science dual degree program. I feel pretty lucky because funded MLIS degrees are somewhat uncommon, and the funding is for up to 5 years, which is far more than necessary for the degree, to be honest.

Congrats! :D So you will go for Uni of Oklahoma, no doubt, right? :D

I have never been to Oklahoma for gambling lol :))

Just now, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Ah... well, best of luck :D And the post you mentioned lower down is for the OU dual-degree program, or what?

Also, I agree with the NSFGRFP. I wish I could wait until I find out about it to decide, but if I waited until the end of March to find housing I'd be living in a cardboard box next year. Why does it take 6 months to hear back?!?!

Yup, and thanks! OU isn't an incredibly highly ranked school, but we have a very solid history of science department, maybe even top 10 within the discipline. It's not very hard to get into, but getting funding is absurdly difficult. They funded 2 out of the 9-ish accepted applicants, out of around 18 applications this year. I think I got pretty lucky!

1 minute ago, iloveOM said:

Congrats! :D So you will go for Uni of Oklahoma, no doubt, right? :D

I have never been to Oklahoma for gambling lol :))

Not sure yet! I have to talk it over with my wife. BGSU would be closer to her family, and I think she wanted that. It's definitely an offer I have to seriously consider, though.

One thing strange about the offer is that the minimum course load to maintain the assistantship is only 6 credit hours (which would complete the two MA degrees in 5 years). That seems awfully light. I doubt I'd ever go that light, but it's interesting.

2 minutes ago, Neist said:

Yup, and thanks! OU isn't an incredibly highly ranked school, but we have a very solid history of science department, maybe even top 10 within the discipline. It's not very hard to get into, but getting funding is absurdly difficult. They funded 2 out of the 9-ish accepted applicants, out of around 18 applications this year. I think I got pretty lucky!

Not sure yet! I have to talk it over with my wife. BGSU would be closer to her family, and I think she wanted that. It's definitely an offer I have to seriously consider, though.

One thing strange about the offer is that the minimum course load to maintain the assistantship is only 6 credit hours (which would complete the two MA degrees in 5 years). That seems awfully light. I doubt I'd ever go that light, but it's interesting.

Wow!! Congrats!!!