Jump to content

WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD


Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, G said:

It's so good to see such an amazing community. So, my story is that I was basically diagnoses with borderline sever depression (on D Burns' scale) a week after I had submitted my application. 

Let's just say that obsessively checking my e mail and the results survey isn't helping. 

I'm sorry that grad school application season is the time you get diagnosed. Ar least you have adorable puppies?!
This doodle dump is seriously making me feel better - I can't just pick one to share with you all so I'm sharing the album http://imgur.com/gallery/cTwOP

(I should warn there's a slight NSFW watermelon one)

Edited by piglet33
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ummm...oh my god. oh my god. I got accepted to my top choice with full funding & moving costs. oh my god. The #1 school in the world for what I want to do wants me.   is t

Good advice. I don't think I'll do the night driving part, though, just because I have literally watched every season of iD's Disappeared and that's how every woman in every episode winds up kidnapped

I can't say the words "Pinot Noir" without thinking of Titus Andromedon....

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

I'm sorry that grad school application season is the time you get diagnosed. Ar least you have adorable puppies?!
This doodle dump is seriously making me feel better - I can't just pick one to share with you all so I'm sharing the album http://imgur.com/gallery/cTwOP

(I should warn there's a slight NSFW watermelon one)

*cringe* Saw that one. 

But thank you. It does help. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Dude, grandmas are the best. And always right, too.

Yeah both grandmas believe in me. The other one invited me recently because she was scared of not seeing me for a year (I then explained that programs generally start in fall... and that I have not even heard back yet and Christmas break; while eating delicious stuff. Grandmas are the best) Hope they are right.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, piglet33 said:

I'm sorry that grad school application season is the time you get diagnosed. Ar least you have adorable puppies?!
This doodle dump is seriously making me feel better - I can't just pick one to share with you all so I'm sharing the album http://imgur.com/gallery/cTwOP

(I should warn there's a slight NSFW watermelon one)

Thanks for making me laugh!

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, haltheincandescent said:

We are pretty close in general, and have als been basically going through the whole process quite closely (meeting with the same advisors, etc.) and he's, at least outwardly, very zen about the whole thing so far, mentioning that he didn't even see the interview we both had as any sort of competition between us, and, on my side, I know that I legitimately wouldn't have cared if he got in and I didn't--though of course I can afford to, since I'd been accepted other places already. I don't know. We both work in the same building, so I'll see him on Tuesday. Definitely hoping that he, like me, is just not announcing his acceptance because I have (at least to his knowledge) not heard back yet. Either that or that they're just calling people over a couple days, instead of all at once--yesterday morning, when I saw acceptances posted, then four hours passed, I was sure I wasn't going to get anything....but then, around the five hour mark, there it was. 

I'm in the same position. My good friend and I applied to one of the same programs, however for some very good reasons, that was the only application she submitted. I've already been accepted to that program, as well as another one, and would feel absolutely horrible if she didn't get in at all! So like you, I'm hoping she has just not announced her acceptance yet.. I just need to build up the courage and ask :(

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 minute ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Well, guys... tomorrow begins the month of February. Just think, for most of us, it will all be decided in a month.

Just that thought alone makes me want to vomit.

It's terrifying! Though if any of y'all come visit Ann Arbor, Michigan, I give great tours. I very much love my school. :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Well, guys... tomorrow begins the month of February. Just think, for most of us, it will all be decided in a month.

Just that thought alone makes me want to vomit.

YUP AHHHHHHHH FREAKING OUT.

I can't tell if I'm experiencing anxiety-induced nausea or stress hunger. And I likely will be for a month. AHHHHHH.

Also, pretty sure that, if I get accepted anywhere, I can't go to any campus weekends since I'm super far away from everything, and transatlantic flights are expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rosali said:

YUP AHHHHHHHH FREAKING OUT.

I can't tell if I'm experiencing anxiety-induced nausea or stress hunger. And I likely will be for a month. AHHHHHH.

Also, pretty sure that, if I get accepted anywhere, I can't go to any campus weekends since I'm super far away from everything, and transatlantic flights are expensive.

Definitely look into whether the department will pay for or reimburse travel expenses before you decide not to go!  Hopefully they'll do anything they can to get you to visit campus!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to update you on my "one of those" day: my phone decided it would have a tantrum while I was cooking dinner and just froze, wouldn't turn off, wouldn't factory reset, nada. But I let it drain out and now it works again.

But then things started to get better :D I found a game I love on my ipad (well I found that I had an ipad which I'd conveniently forgotten about), and I'm under on my food today so I get to eat sweeties! And I found some whisky!!! So now I have a hot toddy and Lord of the Rings (book version). I also have a meeting with a professor who I really respect tomorrow as I sent him an email basically freaking out about the mean boy (for lack of a better phrase) and the professor is super concerned for me. So meeting tomorrow. Steps in the right direction! Thank you all for being so awesome! 

 

Now, Fuzzy (@Pink Fuzzy Bunny), why'd you have to go mention that?!?! I have my USC interview on Tuesday, and the on campus interview was on Friday and I'm the last person they're talking to before they go into the ad-coms room and decide who to accept/reject. No pressure :P 

My status for Florida has changed to "the admissions process is decentralized to have more faculty involvement. Contact your department for information" which is entirely unhelpful. My delaware application is unchanged and I'm fully expecting a rejection from them and PENN STATE I haven't heard anything from so JUST LET ME KNOW ALREADY....(nope not frustrated, not at all).

The boy moved back to California yesterday and keeps sending me photos of him with burritos and tacos and surf and beaches and all my favourite places and it's not fair i want to be there rather than getting drowned in the rain!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I ended up asking the friend (too worried that our advisor, who I ran into, and who asked me about it, would mention it without realizing he hadn't heard yet, too)--nothing on his side :( Celebratory wine getting sadder. They are notifying slowly, so I'm remaining convinced that the call is still to come--I'm just more annoyed at this point, at the program, because he's at least as good an applicant and fit as me, and in many ways better. Back to hating this process for being so random and agonizing--I'm just as anxious for him to hear at this point as I was before my first acceptance! Blah. In the meantime, he's a hero as far as patience and support goes--congratulations and a brushing aside of my vicarious-anxiety.

Edited by haltheincandescent
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, haltheincandescent said:

I ended up asking the friend (too worried that our advisor, who I ran into, and who asked me about it, would mention it without realizing he hadn't heard yet, too)--nothing on his side :( Celebratory wine getting sadder. They are notifying slowly, so I'm remaining convinced that the call is still to come--I'm just more annoyed at this point, at the program, because he's at least as good an applicant and fit as me, and in many ways better. Back to hating this process for being so random and agonizing--I'm just as anxious for him to hear at this point as I was before my first acceptance! Blah. In the meantime, he's a hero as far as patience and support goes--congratulations and a brushing aside of my vicarious-anxiety.

Oh, that friend sounds like my friend, especially in terms of "they're as good of an applicant as me, if not better!"

My friend and I applied together straight from undergrad to various MA and PhD programs two years ago.

She applied to a bunch; I only applied to 3. She was so calm throughout the process. She wasn't even sure if she would get in because she ended up getting waitlisted at one of the many programs she applied to. But she was very calm about it all.

She ended up getting accepted off the waitlist and is very happy where she is, in a very nice PhD program!

I told her I'm applying for PhD programs this year, and I told her how neurotic and anxious I am about the process, and she just chuckled and said "Oh yes, I remember how neurotic you were two years ago..." 

hey, we just have different ways of taking in this process. I bet your friend is gonna be just fine ;) 

*shares celebratory wine with you*

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey fellow Americans, don't forget that this Wednesday is National Carrot Cake Day. My department chair commissioned me to make a cake (I always bring cookies in) so I got the ingredients today and man is it going to be beautiful. Double-layered with a buttercream glaze between the layers, and frosted with a cream cheese - buttercream frosting, with coconut drizzled throughout (though I'm allergic to coconut, so no taste-testing). I'm pumped!

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, piglet33 said:

Just to update you on my "one of those" day: my phone decided it would have a tantrum while I was cooking dinner and just froze, wouldn't turn off, wouldn't factory reset, nada. But I let it drain out and now it works again.

But then things started to get better :D I found a game I love on my ipad (well I found that I had an ipad which I'd conveniently forgotten about), and I'm under on my food today so I get to eat sweeties! And I found some whisky!!! So now I have a hot toddy and Lord of the Rings (book version). I also have a meeting with a professor who I really respect tomorrow as I sent him an email basically freaking out about the mean boy (for lack of a better phrase) and the professor is super concerned for me. So meeting tomorrow. Steps in the right direction! Thank you all for being so awesome! 

Glad to hear that things are finally looking good for you!

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Hey fellow Americans, don't forget that this Wednesday is National Carrot Cake Day. My department chair commissioned me to make a cake (I always bring cookies in) so I got the ingredients today and man is it going to be beautiful. Double-layered with a buttercream glaze between the layers, and frosted with a cream cheese - buttercream frosting, with coconut drizzled throughout (though I'm allergic to coconut, so no taste-testing). I'm pumped!

Why did you have to describe it :'(

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Pink Fuzzy Bunny said:

Hey fellow Americans, don't forget that this Wednesday is National Carrot Cake Day. My department chair commissioned me to make a cake (I always bring cookies in) so I got the ingredients today and man is it going to be beautiful. Double-layered with a buttercream glaze between the layers, and frosted with a cream cheese - buttercream frosting, with coconut drizzled throughout (though I'm allergic to coconut, so no taste-testing). I'm pumped!

Oh, I had no idea, can not-Americans participate too? Isn't it kinda cruel to bake a cake you can't eat?

I think I'll bake a cake this week, chocolate-cherry, I mean, better than pressing F5 all the time right?

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Justwaitingforneuro said:

Oh, I had no idea, can not-Americans participate too? Isn't it kinda cruel to bake a cake you can't eat?

I think I'll bake a cake this week, chocolate-cherry, I mean, better than pressing F5 all the time right?

:D Make sure it's dark chocolate. You'll get a better kick

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, G said:

Maybe I should eat chocolate... On a scale of 1-10, bow much would that help?

Hmm... as a future doctor I can say it should rise your happiness level by 23% for each 10grams. (You should really not trust me with medical decisions yet...)

Edited by Justwaitingforneuro
spelling
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.