Jump to content

WINE, WAIT, AND WHINE THREAD


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

ummm...oh my god. oh my god. I got accepted to my top choice with full funding & moving costs. oh my god. The #1 school in the world for what I want to do wants me.   is t

Good advice. I don't think I'll do the night driving part, though, just because I have literally watched every season of iD's Disappeared and that's how every woman in every episode winds up kidnapped

I can't say the words "Pinot Noir" without thinking of Titus Andromedon....

Posted Images

@FoxAndChicken congratulations! I've been taking a mini break from the grad cafe since I got my first result - a rejection from a school I thought I was a really good fit for. Turns out the only reason I got rejected was because I have no record of graduate level work - I emailed and asked whether they wanted my masters grades from fall semester (4.0 GPA) and they said no!!!!! WTH??? 

Anyway, since I've heard from them, my anxiety levels have plummeted. Right now, it's more if I get in this year I do, if I have to apply next year I'll be an even stronger candidate with a larger pool of schools to pick from. It just means finding worthwhile and financially viable employment for a year in the meant-time, and adding another year to the LDR. There are worse situations to be in.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, nightfarmer said:

I'm in history, so I think we're in the same humanities boat as far as academia goes. I wouldn't think of it as 'name-dropping' - you're not sucking up to them or anything. You're more saying that the work you intend to do (read: the 'conversation' you want to 'join') fits in perfectly with scholars x, y, and z. You like the work that they do and think they would be a perfect mentor as you research/write about your own areas of interest (which ideally will more or less align). I would recommend, however, making sure you're not coming across as though you think you're already equals with those profs ;) . Sometimes a fine line to tread.

 think it's extremely important to do this (but I'm also in history). I named so many POIs in my SOPs (I read at least one article from everyone I named...from every school I applied to...so HOURS spent on just this aspect alone) which followed a very succinct structure:

Paragraphs 1-2: my educational background (because they're viewing me as a colleague, not someone who has "always loved something" or "has been passionate" about something since childhood).

Paragraph 3: the development of my research interests and how they match with faculty at ABC program (naming 3 faculty who have research interests that overlap with mine)

Paragraphs 4-5: what programs at the school support other factors of my work (interdisciplinary work groups / geographical research centers), then comment on professionalism and career development (workshops / colloquia),

Paragraph 6: Summary paragraph on how that helps me achieve being Dr. Awesome Scholar. 

For me, naming my POI was a vital step in my acceptance. In fact, my POI told me that other people read my file first and sent it to him with a note about how I'd be a perfect candidate for his current research (even though I'd named him)...because of how my research interests aligned with his current book project. If I didn't name him in my SOP, I'm not really sure that it would've found its way there. In my interview, he did ask me "why did you name X and Y in your SOP?" because I applied for a joint program and scholars X and Y were a bit more conservative. But as long as you know how certain scholars fit into your research trajectory and can elaborate on it, I think you should be fine. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, raaawr said:

you haven't heard any news from your schools yet? what made you assume the rejection? my speculation is based on my lack of interview and my less than stellar portfolio. :/ let's hope for the best this cycle and if we don't make it let's do better for next year! :)

Well, I heard back from two programs and was flat-out rejected (Northwestern was like "Nope. Bye." and Brown was like "We compared your work to the other applicants, and decided that you can't sit with us. Bye."). The other two I applied to haven't said anything, but they've got some acceptances and wait listings posted on the results board, and it seems like their acceptances come out before their rejections. I'm preparing to have to tell all the professors who wrote me LoRs and read over my SoP and writing sample that working on applications with them was just sooooooo much fun and we should totally do it again next year.

1 hour ago, nightfarmer said:

I'm in history, so I think we're in the same humanities boat as far as academia goes. I wouldn't think of it as 'name-dropping' - you're not sucking up to them or anything. You're more saying that the work you intend to do (read: the 'conversation' you want to 'join') fits in perfectly with scholars x, y, and z. You like the work that they do and think they would be a perfect mentor as you research/write about your own areas of interest (which ideally will more or less align). I would recommend, however, making sure you're not coming across as though you think you're already equals with those profs ;) . Sometimes a fine line to tread.

I didn't mean it as sucking up, really. I meant more that I didn't mention any specific professors because I was worried about how it would come across, as well as concerns about the length of the SoP. The more I think about it, though, the more important it seems when it comes to reaffirming that I'd be a good fit for the programs. I appreciate your advice, though! It's definitely something I'll be thinking about as I work on my SoPs for next time! :D

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, rosali said:

Well, I heard back from two programs and was flat-out rejected (Northwestern was like "Nope. Bye." and Brown was like "We compared your work to the other applicants, and decided that you can't sit with us. Bye."). The other two I applied to haven't said anything, but they've got some acceptances and wait listings posted on the results board, and it seems like their acceptances come out before their rejections. I'm preparing to have to tell all the professors who wrote me LoRs and read over my SoP and writing sample that working on applications with them was just sooooooo much fun and we should totally do it again next year.

lol! I think i'll be telling my LOR writers the same thing. I loved working on the application so much that I thought I'd be a bit of a masochist and go through it again. lol!

 

question for everyone: can anybody here help me translate a short chinese sentence to english? lol

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I'm happy to say after 2 application cycles I seem to have my first acceptance with funding at Indiana. The letter from the DGS indicated that I can expect to get the official offer as soon as the details are worked out. Not a 100% slam dunk, but I hope, for the sake of humanity and basic morality, that I wouldn't have gotten this email if they weren't really for real. It's all very shocking and it hasn't set in yet, since I've been waiting for this email for over a year now (with a lot of rejections in between).

Thanks to everyone here on this forum, and hang in there for all of you still waiting on that first acceptance.

Link to post
Share on other sites

@FoxAndChicken and @nightfarmer congratulations on your acceptances! Maybe your relief will rub off on the rest of us struggling with our anxiety here. How will you celebrate?!

@hippyscientist that rejection seems...arbitrary? Especially since you do have graduate work. Sorry that happened to you, and hope you will be all right in the long run.

@raaawr and @rosali getting your LoR team to review your SOPs is always a great idea! They can offer the kind of feedback as to what ad comms are looking for, since most faculty members serve on admissions committees from time to time. If there is any kind of career-building service nearby, like a place that looks over resumes, you may be able to have them review your SOP as well to check for grammatical correctness, organization, etc.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Cat_Robutt said:

Maybe your relief will rub off on the rest of us struggling with our anxiety here. How will you celebrate?!

On the way to get champagne now. I think I'll go on another moonlit walk on the beach tonight (best time of year to go - no crowds or heat). I saw a shooting star last night. It was magical, and in retrospect probably an indication of acceptances to come.

[All these things actually did happen, to be clear]

[[Okay, maybe not literally magical, but I'm interpreting it that way]]

Edited by nightfarmer
Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I know that I am for sure attending a program in the Fall, I've actually been feeling a little somber in between the highs of happiness. Moving across the continent to a new city for 5 years, without knowing a soul nor having any sort of support system, and having to say goodbye to some people here in my hometown who are very close to me...just...makes me sad and a bit anxious.

Don't get me wrong, I am so excited to start this new chapter in my life in a few months and I will definitely visit home as much as I can, but it's still a unique feeling. Anyone else sort of experiencing this?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

I just got a general email from the university of acceptance, no personalized emails or anything. Is this normal? I wanted to be called! 

I haven't received an email or call from Oregon but my portal says I'm accepted. So I haven't really heard any details yet so you aren't alone! I'm planning on contacting them on Monday to ask about details. Who knows, maybe they do snail mail?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, floatinggreenskull said:

Now that I know that I am for sure attending a program in the Fall, I've actually been feeling a little somber in between the highs of happiness. Moving across the continent to a new city for 5 years, without knowing a soul nor having any sort of support system, and having to say goodbye to some people here in my hometown who are very close to me...just...makes me sad and a bit anxious.

Don't get me wrong, I am so excited to start this new chapter in my life in a few months and I will definitely visit home as much as I can, but it's still a unique feeling. Anyone else sort of experiencing this?

I can't really relate since I didn't have strong ties to the place where I grew up. I don't even think of it as my "hometown". But I will miss living this part of Virginia. Its beautiful and has a low cost of living. But you can always have support here!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Need Coffee in an IV said:

I can't really relate since I didn't have strong ties to the place where I grew up. I don't even think of it as my "hometown". But I will miss living this part of Virginia. Its beautiful and has a low cost of living. But you can always have support here!

Haha, thank you. It shall be an adventure, for sure, but I can be so darn sentimental. :P On another note, I've always wanted to visit Virginia. Maybe someday! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, floatinggreenskull said:

Haha, thank you. It shall be an adventure, for sure, but I can be so darn sentimental. :P On another note, I've always wanted to visit Virginia. Maybe someday! 

Any time! I'm almost lacking in sentimental value ha. I would have to say our mountains are pretty great and there is a lot of hiking/trails. I'm not a huge beach person though!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

I just got a general email from the university of acceptance, no personalized emails or anything. Is this normal? I wanted to be called! 

One University called (in the middle of the night...) just to tell me I got an interview. For another I only got a generic acceptance email. They're all over the map. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congratulations to all the acceptances today!! *throws confetti and prepares the best meal ever for you all*

@nightfarmerwalk on the beach... Voluntarily walking outside in what I assume is not bitter cold weather.. Enjoy that for me! *bundles up under blankets and layered pajamas in front of the space heater*

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, floatinggreenskull said:

Now that I know that I am for sure attending a program in the Fall, I've actually been feeling a little somber in between the highs of happiness. Moving across the continent to a new city for 5 years, without knowing a soul nor having any sort of support system, and having to say goodbye to some people here in my hometown who are very close to me...just...makes me sad and a bit anxious.

Don't get me wrong, I am so excited to start this new chapter in my life in a few months and I will definitely visit home as much as I can, but it's still a unique feeling. Anyone else sort of experiencing this?

@floatinggreenskull Yes, yes, yes. My situation is a smidge different (I'm not moving from my hometown, and it looks like I won't be moving across the country) but yes. After all the hard work in just preparing an application and then waiting out the decisions, and then interviewing and getting accepted and preparing for a visit, it's of course very gratifying, but also invites a small amount of grieving. It's become so much more tangible, which is exciting and thrilling but also reminds me of all the things that simply have to be taken care of to get there and of the realities of leaving. 

In fact, though it subdued some anxiety around the "can I even do this?" and "am I qualified?" questions, it makes me want to hear back from all of my schools as soon as possible so I can start making actual decisions, haha. No rest for the applicant, I suppose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, savay said:

@floatinggreenskull Yes, yes, yes. My situation is a smidge different (I'm not moving from my hometown, and it looks like I won't be moving across the country) but yes. After all the hard work in just preparing an application and then waiting out the decisions, and then interviewing and getting accepted and preparing for a visit, it's of course very gratifying, but also invites a small amount of grieving. It's become so much more tangible, which is exciting and thrilling but also reminds me of all the things that simply have to be taken care of to get there and of the realities of leaving. 

In fact, though it subdued some anxiety around the "can I even do this?" and "am I qualified?" questions, it makes me want to hear back from all of my schools as soon as possible so I can start making actual decisions, haha. No rest for the applicant, I suppose.

Same, and you also said it quite perfectly. I am also still waiting on 5 other schools before I can make any final decisions. Not helping. -_- 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.