Jump to content

Fall 2016 Acceptances, Interviews, and Rejections Thread


Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, SNW373 said:

One of my professors heard from Purdue on April 17th, and I have heard it is fairly common to hear back from schools that late.  I was also told, from a professor at one of the programs I was accepted, that if you accept an offer from your second choice and get accepted after April 15th to your first choice it's okay to go back to the second choice school and ask to revoke your contract (as long as you do it professionally) so you can accept the offer from your first choice school.

Wow, I had no idea decisions could go that late. That's insane! I was wondering mainly because I potentially have a great non-grad school option (that could allow for a much better application season next year) ...but I'll have to let them know right away if/when they make the offer, which would be very soon. This whole process is just so frustrating. 

Thanks so much for the info, though! I really appreciate it!:)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

sorry to mis-sex/gender you. it can be offensive. not interested in starting dialogue. My intention was to police you, which I did, and I would do it again.

I can't believe it ya'll -- dreams actually come true!!! BROWN admitted!

FULLY FUNDED FREAKING ACCEPTANCE TO DELAWARE!!!!! GOTTA GO TO A MEETING NOW. SO HAPPY. CAPS LOCK.!!!!!!1111ELEVEN!!!!!

Posted Images

On 2/18/2016 at 7:42 PM, revquackers said:

I'm in the psych program at UC Merced and we're having our prospective student day this friday, not sure what poli sci is doing though but almost all the programs are doing it Friday and Saturday this week.

I think all programs had their recruitment/interview weekends the same weekend. We had ours the weekend the university put on several events for prospective graduate students.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 123letsgo said:

1 out of 7 for me :-P.  Anone feel like joining me at Davis? Lol.

I'm slowly entering into the exact same situation. Lol. 

 

4 hours ago, gingin6789 said:

I'll be at the visit day! :D

I'll see you Friday! I'll be scanning the room and trying to figure out who the gradcafe posters are. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/4/2016 at 3:35 PM, HopefulSocPhD said:

I just got my last rejection as well (also Yale), 0 for 9. I'll be continuing to teach science to low-income high school students. :) 

I've been rejected everywhere except UMass so far - still waiting on a response from them. If I don't get in, applying to Peacecorps and get to start a brand new waiting game. YIPPEE!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, aresh1 said:

I'm slowly entering into the exact same situation. Lol. 

 

I'll see you Friday! I'll be scanning the room and trying to figure out who the gradcafe posters are. 

Just casually bring up grad cafe and I'll be like "omggggg I'm on there wayyyy too often!" and I'll reveal my identity. No shame here!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/3/2016 at 0:34 AM, thirtysleven said:

Here's to hoping! Best of luck to you as well. 

I emailed Boston University today asking if they could provide an update and they replied with a brief informal rejection email and said an official rejection letter would be sent out "shortly". Hope you get some better news from BU. :(

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shay825 said:

I've been rejected everywhere except UMass so far - still waiting on a response from them. If I don't get in, applying to Peacecorps and get to start a brand new waiting game. YIPPEE!!

I applied to peacecorps this year as well as graduate school and made it through three rounds of interviews. I was ultimately rejected. It's actually more selective than graduate school, statistically speaking. Good luck! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, notthatgood said:

Has anyone been officially rejected by UNC yet?

I actually just emailed them a couple days ago, and they said that the first round of admittances has been sent out. They have a "small list" of applicants to be admitted pending the decisions the first admitted students make (waitlist), and the rest are rejections. They haven't notified the waitlisted applicants OR rejected applicants yet. Just admitted ones. They said they expect to send out all decisions by the end of the month. Yay? :unsure:

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, lapeliroja said:

I actually just emailed them a couple days ago, and they said that the first round of admittances has been sent out. They have a "small list" of applicants to be admitted pending the decisions the first admitted students make (waitlist), and the rest are rejections. They haven't notified the waitlisted applicants OR rejected applicants yet. Just admitted ones. They said they expect to send out all decisions by the end of the month. Yay? :unsure:

Thank you!

Why don't they draft an e-mail and send it to rejected applicants straight away? It takes 10 minutes. They should have done this a month ago. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, notthatgood said:

Thank you!

Why don't they draft an e-mail and send it to rejected applicants straight away? It takes 10 minutes. They should have done this a month ago. 

You're welcome! I'm glad you said something, because I meant to post that after I emailed them and just completely forgot. 

I totally agree, though. If you HAVE a definite waitlist, WHYYYY would you not just send out the rest as rejections?  It's SO frustrating. <_<

Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, lapeliroja said:

You're welcome! I'm glad you said something, because I meant to post that after I emailed them and just completely forgot. 

I totally agree, though. If you HAVE a definite waitlist, WHYYYY would you not just send out the rest as rejections?  It's SO frustrating. <_<

I couldn't agree more.  I applied to a social policy PhD program in addition to the sociology programs, and no word at all.  I emailed at the end of the month and was told I would hear no later than early March, but still no updates.  I don't get it. Why wouldn't you at least tell people they are definitely out, or on a waitlist?  At this point, most people who have gotten in somewhere are starting to lock up decisions, even if it's not with the first choice, if they don't hear anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kelris said:

I applied to peacecorps this year as well as graduate school and made it through three rounds of interviews. I was ultimately rejected. It's actually more selective than graduate school, statistically speaking. Good luck! 

I've already served in Americorps and have more than a decade of professional experience in the positions that I'm applying to, so I think I stand a good chance. Was already under consideration for placement in Jamaica, but the programs I want are in Eastern Europe, Asia, or the Pacific Islands - so I asked them to cancel my candidacy for Jamaica and refer my application to other placement officers. I'm also a sponsor for my local GLOW chapter. My local recruiter is pretty positive about my chances of being accepted.

Edited by Shay825
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shay825 said:

I've already served in Americorps and have more than a decade of professional experience in the positions that I'm applying to, so I think I stand a good chance. Was already under consideration for placement in Jamaica, but the programs I want are in Eastern Europe, Asia, or the Pacific Islands - so I asked them to cancel my candidacy for Jamaica and refer my application to other placement officers. I'm also a sponsor for my local GLOW chapter. My local recruiter is pretty positive about my chances of being accepted.

Good luck, @Shay825.  It is a big process but it sounds like you've got a lot of good pieces in place.  Hope UMASS or Peace Corps work out for you this year! 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, lapeliroja said:

On that note, though, has anyone been rejected by John Hopkins?

I'm on the waitlist. GPD advised me that she should know something re: waitlisted folks in a couple weeks. No mention of rejections. It is odd -- historically, rejections have gone out very early.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, proctorvt said:

I'm on the waitlist. GPD advised me that she should know something re: waitlisted folks in a couple weeks. No mention of rejections. It is odd -- historically, rejections have gone out very early.

May I ask whether you were notified that you were on a waitlist or did you have to ask yourself? Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, puton said:

May I ask whether you were notified that you were on a waitlist or did you have to ask yourself? Thanks!

My POI emailed to let me know about 10 days ago. I know other than mine, there is one acceptance and one other waitlist posted on the results page. No one has claimed them, but it would be great if those people would chime in. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, proctorvt said:

My POI emailed to let me know about 10 days ago. I know other than mine, there is one acceptance and one other waitlist posted on the results page. No one has claimed them, but it would be great if those people would chime in. 

I see..I know the program accepts very small number of students each year and I was curious whether all acceptances have gone out yet. Thanks for sharing the information.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, proctorvt said:

I'm on the waitlist. GPD advised me that she should know something re: waitlisted folks in a couple weeks. No mention of rejections. It is odd -- historically, rejections have gone out very early.

Thanks so much for the info! And good luck! I hope you get off the waitlist soon. :) 

It would be nice if all departments just let you know — accepted, waitlisted, or rejected. The waiting game is ridiculous, especially when you're trying to plan, you know, your life (for the foreseeable future at least). <_< (I know you feel me, @ts1493 )

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, proctorvt said:

My POI emailed to let me know about 10 days ago. I know other than mine, there is one acceptance and one other waitlist posted on the results page. No one has claimed them, but it would be great if those people would chime in. 

Hi, I was accepted at Johns Hopkins and rejected their offer at the end of February. I hope this helps some of you on the waiting list. They told me that they were expecting a cohort of 4-5 people this year.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2016 at 3:51 PM, rar23de said:

Hi, I was accepted at Johns Hopkins and rejected their offer at the end of February. I hope this helps some of you on the waiting list. They told me that they were expecting a cohort of 4-5 people this year.

 

Thanks for that update. I expect to hear something this week or next. I have a couple of recruitment events at less desirable programs coming up, so I'd really like to know my chances of being plucked off the wait list. I know they make very few initial offers, and that historically many folks in my position have ultimately received offers. 

Fingers crossed. Thanks for being considerate and rejecting the offer in a timely fashion. You deserve a medal!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.