Library Science 2016

gradnick

Anyone applying for 2016? 

I am way behind, and it was only some encouragement from my coworkers (librarians) that I have seriously considered it.  I doubt that I will get in for Fall  2016, but I'm making the push, so I"m wondering anyone else here is applying for 2016?

If it counts, I'm applying for a dual MA degree with History of Science and MLIS here at the University of Oklahoma (the school I currently work for).

To be honest though, I'm not really all that concerned with getting in. I've worked within the university's library system for 10 years, and 9 of those were in management. One of my letters is from the branch I work for's director. I'd be shocked if I didn't get in.

Where are you considering apply to? What sort of librarianship are you interested in? :) This forum doesn't get enough traffic. We should change that.

I've been working in one of our nyc's main public library for 10 years.  I had been thinking about a MLIS for awhile now, but my undergrad grades are less than impressive.  And I notice most programs require the GRE, which is a bigger mountain to climb for me, which is why I doubt I'll make it for Fall 2016.   I'd like to pursue public librarianship.  They have phased out specialties amongst the librarians where I currently work.  I don't know if that is something they are doing in other places.

Right now, considering Pratt, St. Johns U, Rutgers, Simmons, Queens College

Sounds like you're in a similar situation to myself.

Library school is a quirky animal. I would never suggest a MA program without experience. Experience seems to weigh quite a bit, but given how much experience both of us have, I think the degree would help us. 

I'm not sure how it is on the east coast, but I don't think MLIS programs tend to be overly competitive, at least no where near as competitive as other disciplines. Like I stated, I'd be shocked if I didn't get into the program I applied to. 

What do you mean exactly by phasing out specialties? Do they still separate technical from public service librarians? Or do you mean positions like subject catalogers? 

When I first started working there, the Librarians worked in departments where they were specialized, The arts, music, history, religion, etc.  They've moved away from that in the last few years.  They want the Librarians to know everything (collection wise), and I'm sure that makes sense, but we're a rather large library.  I don't know how it is in other places.

I'm a pessimist, its my nature.  I'm hoping for the best, but expecting the worst.  I would be very disappointed to not get in one of the programs near me.  In the mean time, I'm still pursuing library opportunities, specifically in at academic setting, and I'd really like that experience.  Those positions seem very hard to get, because I've never gotten a interview in at a single university library, which amazes me.  I'm hoping that once the Spring semester starts here, I'll be able to get in touch with some admissions people, so I'm totally clear on whats required of me.

On 1/21/2016 at 11:10 PM, gradnick said:

Right now, considering Pratt, St. Johns U, Rutgers, Simmons, Queens College

I am in the Rutgers program - pretty decent so far, but it is in the middle of a transitional phase from MLIS to MI (Master of Information), so some things have not quite settled down yet.

If I had known about it ahead of time, I would have waited and applied to the MI program once it became available, as my specialty lies more in the data science/analytics area anyway.

On 1/23/2016 at 1:10 PM, gradnick said:

I wonder if the move from MLIS to MI is going to become a trend.  And if institutions who require  MLIS, will follow and require a MI?

Btw, are you in Rutger's online program?

I bet it'll become a trend, but probably not for a while.

The function of librarians in a lot of situations is shifting, and I imagine the shift will eventually fairly dramatic. However, it doesn't seem to be shifting that quickly. Will it happen during our lifetimes? I'm thinking so, but I doubt it'll happen in the next 5 years. At any rate, if I have a MLIS degree and have been fulfilling more of a MI sort of role in my place of employment, I doubt I'd have issue finding jobs.

I've already submitted to University of Denver and I'm finishing University of Washington. Both are ALA accredited and have an emphasis on the "information science" aspect (at least as an option). 

I am currently studying for e GRE because my GPA is literally a point below their requirement to waive it..  One school told me I should proceed with my application and after reviewing it they will let me know if I should take the GRE.   This wasn't a admission counselor though, and I'd like to hear that from one, plus I'd like to be prepared in case I do have to take it.  Other schools have said it isn't a requirement but it can help your application.

16 minutes ago, EmilySpinach said:

UIUC has graduate assistantships but you have to apply separately for those after admittance and I hear the competition's tough. I think I read somewhere else on these boards that Simmons does funding as well.  Do most MLIS programs not have funding opportunities?

To my knowledge, most do not. However, many of them, at least to my understanding, have GA positions (assuming you can get one).

I've always thought it strange that library programs offer paltry funding, yet when you get your degree, you certainly aren't going to be making much. I know some librarians who have over 100k in debt. Really sad.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2016 at 4:21 PM, EmilySpinach said:

UIUC has graduate assistantships but you have to apply separately for those after admittance and I hear the competition's tough. I think I read somewhere else on these boards that Simmons does funding as well.  Do most MLIS programs not have funding opportunities?

UW has funding to an extent but you have to seek it out. It's my understanding that you can typically seek TA positions in other departments at most schools, which at least gets a tuition waiver and stipend. 

19 hours ago, coffeebooks said:

UW has funding to an extent but you have to seek it out. It's my understanding that you can typically seek TA positions in other departments at most schools, which at least gets a tuition waiver and stipend. 

Do you mean the Uni of Washington or Wisconsin?

I'm applying to the following:

• University of Washington *
    • Relatively cheap!
  • UIUC
    • Ranked #1
    • In a corn field
  • McGill
    • Cheap!
  • Pratt (dual Art History MS/MLS) *
    • Amazing internship opportunities
  • Simmons (dual History MA/MLS) *
    • Decent funding? I think I read someone on here say that.
    • 2 years for 2 degrees
  • NYU (Public History & Archives MA in conjunction w/LIU's MLIS program) *
    • Expensive and totally unfunded history department!
    • How is LIU's MLS program? I've heard negative things about LIU (also it's expensive)
  • Indiana University Bloomington
  • CUNY Queens College (dual History MA/MLS)
    • Cheap!
    • 3 years for 2 degrees
    • In the middle of nowhere in Queens right next to an enormous brutalist-looking cemetery
  • University of North Carolina Chapel Hill

*preferred

I have no idea what my expectations should be regarding acceptances, so I'm applying to probably way more schools that I need to. But it gives me peace of mind. And I probably won't regret it, since I like to have options. I have a very good GPA from a good undergrad program, but limited work experience. My essays were alright I think. GRE scores are good for qualitative and extremely weak for qualitative. Thankfully, most programs don't request scores.

We'll see! Good luck fellow applicants!

I learned today that if I get funding for the dual degree I applied to at OU, I'll get funding for both (54 total credit hours).

I'm leaving my opportunities to fate at this point, but a funded MLIS would be fairly amazing. It's somewhat uncommon. Going to cross my fingers!

On 2/24/2016 at 4:10 PM, RoseRed said:

I'm applying to the following:

• University of Washington *
    • Relatively cheap!
  • UIUC
    • Ranked #1
    • In a corn field
  • McGill
    • Cheap!
  • Pratt (dual Art History MS/MLS) *
    • Amazing internship opportunities
  • Simmons (dual History MA/MLS) *
    • Decent funding? I think I read someone on here say that.
    • 2 years for 2 degrees
  • NYU (Public History & Archives MA in conjunction w/LIU's MLIS program) *
    • Expensive and totally unfunded history department!
    • How is LIU's MLS program? I've heard negative things about LIU (also it's expensive)
  • Indiana University Bloomington
  • CUNY Queens College (dual History MA/MLS)
    • Cheap!
    • 3 years for 2 degrees
    • In the middle of nowhere in Queens right next to an enormous brutalist-looking cemetery
  • University of North Carolina Chapel Hill

*preferred

I have no idea what my expectations should be regarding acceptances, so I'm applying to probably way more schools that I need to. But it gives me peace of mind. And I probably won't regret it, since I like to have options. I have a very good GPA from a good undergrad program, but limited work experience. My essays were alright I think. GRE scores are good for qualitative and extremely weak for qualitative. Thankfully, most programs don't request scores.

We'll see! Good luck fellow applicants!

Your list is similar to mine.  I was at the Pratt open house a few weeks ago.  Its the first school I visited, but I was very intrigued by their internship opportunities and how hands on their courses are. I already have my eyes on two of their programs.

I'm also visiting St. Johns University in a few weeks, and Queens college when they get back to me on a date.  Honestly, just on the location alone, Pratt would be ideal, the opportunities that come with a school like Pratt are just cherry toppings.  The commute to St. Johns and Queens college is just unappealing.  Atleast most of St. Johns classes are online.  A few of the librarians attended these schools, so I get the opportunity to ask as much questions as I want, which is really helpful.

On 2/24/2016 at 4:02 PM, Neist said:

I learned today that if I get funding for the dual degree I applied to at OU, I'll get funding for both (54 total credit hours).

I'm leaving my opportunities to fate at this point, but a funded MLIS would be fairly amazing. It's somewhat uncommon. Going to cross my fingers!

Update since my last post in here; I got funding for the dual degree program. Wait list dreams do happen.

It's going to be a difficult decision between my acceptances now. A funded MLIS degree is a difficult thing to turn down.

• 2 weeks later...
On February 28, 2016 at 1:38 PM, gradnick said:

Your list is similar to mine.  I was at the Pratt open house a few weeks ago.  Its the first school I visited, but I was very intrigued by their internship opportunities and how hands on their courses are. I already have my eyes on two of their programs.

I'm also visiting St. Johns University in a few weeks, and Queens college when they get back to me on a date.  Honestly, just on the location alone, Pratt would be ideal, the opportunities that come with a school like Pratt are just cherry toppings.  The commute to St. Johns and Queens college is just unappealing.  Atleast most of St. Johns classes are online.  A few of the librarians attended these schools, so I get the opportunity to ask as much questions as I want, which is really helpful.

I know what you mean about the commute... It's unpleasant to say the least--at least for Queens, which I visited last month. I think it would only really work if I were to live in Flushing somewhere. But then going to work/intern in the city would be a pain... but at least I could take the 7 express without having to transfer until I get into Manhattan.

Good news: I got accepted into Pratt!

On 3/10/2016 at 3:02 AM, RoseRed said:

I know what you mean about the commute... It's unpleasant to say the least--at least for Queens, which I visited last month. I think it would only really work if I were to live in Flushing somewhere. But then going to work/intern in the city would be a pain... but at least I could take the 7 express without having to transfer until I get into Manhattan.

Good news: I got accepted into Pratt!

Congratulations on getting into Pratt.....and your other schools.

I'm going to apply to all my schools for Spring.  It is just wiser right now instead of rushing to get recommendations, and what not.  Plus it gives me opportunity to research and visit programs outside NYC.  And maybe I'll get a job at a academic library in the mean time, which is something I've coveted for a long time now.

And LIRR is close to where I work, so I would take it to Jamaica to get to either schools.  The cost of that alone, even with a full time job, taking 6 credits, seems really tasking.  I'm visiting St. Johns this week, so hopefully I'll get a better feel for the commute. 

But major congrats on Pratt, Is it your first choice?