Library Science 2016

gradnick

On 1/22/2016 at 2:10 PM, gradnick said:

I wonder if the move from MLIS to MI is going to become a trend.  And if institutions who require  MLIS, will follow and require a MI?

Btw, are you in Rutger's online program?

Just saw this -

No, I am in the on campus program, but I have taken an online course. The advantage of the on campus program is that you can take both in person & online coursees, the online program is strictly online.

On 2/29/2016 at 3:41 PM, Neist said:

Update since my last post in here; I got funding for the dual degree program. Wait list dreams do happen.

It's going to be a difficult decision between my acceptances now. A funded MLIS degree is a difficult thing to turn down.

So, I've decided to take the funded, dual degree offer I landed. It's far too rare of an offer to turn down.

I shall soon be in the land of MLIS grad students, even if I have been working in libraries for over a decade now.

Hi guys.

I'm coming from a slightly different background and angle than most of you. I've lived a lifetime in the humanities, and my decision to apply to MLIS and other related programs comes as an alternate career pathway to pursuing a PhD (and, consequently, employment as a professor). This time last year I was rejected from 8 PhD programs, and I spent a LONG LONG time thinking about whether or not I was going to re-apply to those programs (I didn't) or if I was going to apply to related, yet different graduate programs (I did) in a field which offers equal parts theory and technical/trade experience. As much as I love the humanities (specifically, history & film studies), the thought of going through with a PhD only to struggle to find full time, non-contingent work seems exceptionally daunting, and, in short, kind of not worth it...

So, this time around I applied to MLIS, Archiving, and Film Preservation programs. I've gotten into the following places:

- University of Amsterdam (M.A. in Presentation and Preservation of the Moving Image)

- NYU (M.A. in Moving Image Archiving & Preservation)

- UCLA (MLIS w/ Media Archival Studies Specialization)

- Pratt (MLIS w/ Advanced Certificates in Archives and Museum Libraries)

- LIU (MLIS w/ Advanced Certificate in Archives and Records Management)

while I've yet to hear back from Queens College (MLIS w/ Certificate in Archives and Preservation of Cultural Materials).

I'm very excited to have been accepted by a range of great institutions, and to have many more options on my plate compared with last year. And while I’m also skittish about entering into another graduate program, let alone one which is “different” and “new” to someone like myself who has mostly humanities academic experience, I know that it is the right thing to do, and in the least, it’ll land me in a better place than I’m in right now ;)

I only have a few weeks left to pick which school I will attend, and they’re all enticing in their own ways. I think UCLA might be near the top of my list, for many reasons, but mostly because they seem to have the best internship opportunities for someone with my interests, and they (now) offer an MLIS instead of a strictly film preservation / archiving degree like NYU and Amsterdam. In short, you get more for your buck getting both the MLIS and the media archiving experience / education. Plus it’s in Cali ! If I decide to trek out to CA, that’ll be a cross-country move for me, but I have months to prepare. In the meantime, I’m weighing my options, continuing to do research on the most appropriate fit, and ways in which to lessen the financial burden (fellowships, scholarships, assistantships, etc). Quite the load is on my plate, but I’m glad a forum like this exists, even if it’s just me airing my thoughts “out loud.”

:)

Edited by kingsxrocks

Nice to meet you @kingsxrocks!

20 hours ago, kingsxrocks said:

As much as I love the humanities (specifically, history & film studies), the thought of going through with a PhD only to struggle to find full time, non-contingent work seems exceptionally daunting, and, in short, kind of not worth it...

I completely understand this, and I echo your hesitation. I certainly don't mind putting in the work for a PhD, but I'm not sure if it's a good decision, and with a library degree, I could simply work somewhere and do my own research, on my own time. I don't need a PhD to do research. Also, what sort of jobs were you hoping to land eventually?

Ideally, a heritage-type job as an archivist. Historical site, cultural center, museum, film institute, etc. But I know those jobs tend to be few in numbers, so i am generally open to the idea of working outside of the cultural sector. Though, admittedly, working for the National Film Registry (or any government job with cultural leanings) would be a dream gig!

On March 12, 2016 at 3:03 PM, WriteAndKnit said:

Okay, a response...

I'm on UDub's waitlist (of 38). Hopefully I'm high enough on that list that I'll get the Good Reply sooner rather than later.

I'm in good company then! I also am on the the UW's waitlist. Didn't know it was 38 people. Good luck!

On March 12, 2016 at 1:16 PM, gradnick said:

Congratulations on getting into Pratt.....and your other schools.

I'm going to apply to all my schools for Spring.  It is just wiser right now instead of rushing to get recommendations, and what not.  Plus it gives me opportunity to research and visit programs outside NYC.  And maybe I'll get a job at a academic library in the mean time, which is something I've coveted for a long time now.

And LIRR is close to where I work, so I would take it to Jamaica to get to either schools.  The cost of that alone, even with a full time job, taking 6 credits, seems really tasking.  I'm visiting St. Johns this week, so hopefully I'll get a better feel for the commute. 

But major congrats on Pratt, Is it your first choice?

I think Queens College could be a comfortable commute only if you were to live in Flushing. Otherwise, it's all the way to the end of the 7 line and then a transfer to a bus ride on top of that. I guess a lot of people drive that go to Queens, but if you go onto any of their student Facebook pages, it becomes very apparent that people regularly spend upwards of 30/45 minutes driving around for parking (the few hundred official school parking spaces are allocated through a lottery system). Never visited St. John's; didn't know about their online program. if your concern is that you want to stay in NYC while you get your MLS--and you're open to the online format--maybe consider applying to exclusively online programs. Just a thought. :-)  It would definitely open up your options and save money (although Queens is very affordable). Plus, no awful commutes!

Thanks! At this point, I really don't know what my first choice is. Simmons is probably the best suited for my interests, to be honest, with their dual-degree program w/History and their strength in Archives. I haven't heard back from them yet though... (It's killing me~!)

Last week I heard back from NYU's Archives & Public History department: I got in! And what's incredible: they offered me a full scholarship! I literally could not believe my eyes. I'm still thinking maybe it was a glitch of some kind and I'm going to have the rug pulled out from under me, because it's just too amazing. I was planning on doing the dual NYU (MA)/LIU (MLS) program though, so I would still have to consider the LIU tuition, which is pretty steep without funding from them. If I were to just go to NYU, my concern is employability without an MLS being a challenge (which I've read happens to people with Archives degrees, but no MLS).

It looks like I will go to either NYU/LIU, Pratt, or Simmons. We'll see!

Congratulations everyone, and good luck making your decisions!

I'm currently struggling to choose between UCLA and UW. I'm mainly interested in public libraries and particularly children's services. I am in California so UCLA will probably end up the cheaper option.

41 minutes ago, EG said:

I'm currently struggling to choose between UCLA and UW. I'm mainly interested in public libraries and particularly children's services. I am in California so UCLA will probably end up the cheaper option.

Cheaper seems to be the wiser option in library programs, unless you want to study something highly specific. :) 

On 3/28/2016 at 3:17 AM, RoseRed said:

I'm in good company then! I also am on the the UW's waitlist. Didn't know it was 38 people. Good luck!

I had a skype interview with my other top choice (University of Denver) on Friday. Still waiting for definite responses from both. 

On 3/28/2016 at 4:29 AM, RoseRed said:

Last week I heard back from NYU's Archives & Public History department: I got in! And what's incredible: they offered me a full scholarship! I literally could not believe my eyes. I'm still thinking maybe it was a glitch of some kind and I'm going to have the rug pulled out from under me, because it's just too amazing. I was planning on doing the dual NYU (MA)/LIU (MLS) program though, so I would still have to consider the LIU tuition, which is pretty steep without funding from them. If I were to just go to NYU, my concern is employability without an MLS being a challenge (which I've read happens to people with Archives degrees, but no MLS).

It looks like I will go to either NYU/LIU, Pratt, or Simmons. We'll see!

That is amazing.  Congratulations!!!!  Looks you have quite a lot to choose from.  A good dilemma to have.

• 2 weeks later...

Have people made any decisions as to where they will be going, come fall? April 15 seems to be both a soft and hard acceptance deadline for many institutions. I'm totally going back and forth between UCLA, NYU, and Pratt. Amsterdam seems like a glorious opportunity, but in the long-run I don't see how it would help me establish a network here in the states, so I'm slowly phasing out that option (though it's an honor to have been accepted). Decisions !!!

Just heard back positively from Simmons this morning via snail mail. Now I'm really conflicted between Pratt and Simmons. Simmons is probably better suited for my needs/interests, but there is so much tempting me towards Pratt. They both offered about the same financial aid, and the cost of both is basically equivalent. This is a really tough decision for me, so I'm visiting Boston after the weekend and then swinging down to NYC. I just want peace of mind. I can't wait for this decision making process to be over and done with so I can move forward!!

Q: Does anyone know about Pratt's conditional ALA accreditation? Should that be effecting my decision?

Edited by RoseRed
additional comment

7 hours ago, RoseRed said:

Just heard back positively from Simmons this morning via snail mail. Now I'm really conflicted between Pratt and Simmons. Simmons is probably better suited for my needs/interests, but there is so much tempting me towards Pratt. They both offered about the same financial aid, and the cost of both is basically equivalent. This is a really tough decision for me, so I'm visiting Boston after the weekend and then swinging down to NYC. I just want peace of mind. I can't wait for this decision making process to be over and done with so I can move forward!!

Q: Does anyone know about Pratt's conditional ALA accreditation? Should that be effecting my decision?

When I visited back in February, the dean told us they were ALA accredited.  I know it says they are conditionally accredited on the ALA website.  You can contact admissions if you have real questions about it.

I was accepted into Western Washington for their Archives and Records Management program, and am super excited! Their department is a part of their history department though, would this MA be considered professional or humanities in this case?

On 4/15/2016 at 1:17 PM, Meghanlodon said:

I was accepted into Western Washington for their Archives and Records Management program, and am super excited! Their department is a part of their history department though, would this MA be considered professional or humanities in this case?

Congrats!

Not sure! You might checked to see if their ALA accredited. I'm not sure if non IS or LIS programs can be ALA accredited, but a lot of job postings in the LIS world ask for a degree in an ALA accredited program.

On 4/8/2016 at 12:35 AM, kingsxrocks said:

Have people made any decisions as to where they will be going, come fall? April 15 seems to be both a soft and hard acceptance deadline for many institutions. I'm totally going back and forth between UCLA, NYU, and Pratt. Amsterdam seems like a glorious opportunity, but in the long-run I don't see how it would help me establish a network here in the states, so I'm slowly phasing out that option (though it's an honor to have been accepted). Decisions !!!

On 4/8/2016 at 5:59 AM, RoseRed said:

On 3/28/2016 at 1:56 PM, EG said:

I hope everyone's decisions went smoothly! Be sure to let us know where you're going. :) 

Just accepted UCLA's offer and turned down NYU's offer. Having lived most of my life on the East Coast (NY), I'm excited to venture west, for at least a few years! UCLA hasn't offered any funding yet, but I hopefully something can be worked out. I'll have to scope out scholarships, fellowships, and assistantships. I had an assistantship throughout my other Masters degree, and thus have 2 years of teaching experience under my belt, so i think I'll have an "ok" shot of trying to secure something. And even if not, it's still cheapter than NYU (even with the scholarship funding they were throwing at me last minute). no knock against the MIAP program at NYU at all, but it is EXPENSIVE!

I've applied to both Drexel and Clarion. Heard back from Clarion-- got in.

But Drexel is my preferred. Still waiting to hear. I received an email from them saying it'll take approx. 4-8 weeks to hear anything back, I believe I'm entering my 6th week now. Clarion is asking for the deposit ASAP, but I want to wait until I hear from Drexel. I'm afraid that if I wait too long to respond to Clarion, my spot would be gone.

I currently work part-time at a public library and a co-worker of mine said that if I called Drexel and said another school I applied to has a closely approaching deadline for the non-refundable deposit, and that I prefer to go to Drexel, they will "most likely" give me the answer right then and there. I honestly don't trust her advice, and I'm unsure of what to do. I'm starting to worry I won't get into Drexel.

I hope the waiting/deciding is going a lot better for everyone else!

23 hours ago, kingsxrocks said:

Just accepted UCLA's offer and turned down NYU's offer. Having lived most of my life on the East Coast (NY), I'm excited to venture west, for at least a few years! UCLA hasn't offered any funding yet, but I hopefully something can be worked out. I'll have to scope out scholarships, fellowships, and assistantships. I had an assistantship throughout my other Masters degree, and thus have 2 years of teaching experience under my belt, so i think I'll have an "ok" shot of trying to secure something. And even if not, it's still cheapter than NYU (even with the scholarship funding they were throwing at me last minute). no knock against the MIAP program at NYU at all, but it is EXPENSIVE!

Congrats! I avoided applying to any program in NYC for the simple reason that it's just so expensive. I have a wife and kid, and I can't imagine taking on that much debt.

Also, good luck on the funding search! I don't know the environment at UCLA, but a lot of schools have out-of-department funding, as long as you seek it diligently. 

2 hours ago, WandaMaximoff said:

I've applied to both Drexel and Clarion. Heard back from Clarion-- got in.

But Drexel is my preferred. Still waiting to hear. I received an email from them saying it'll take approx. 4-8 weeks to hear anything back, I believe I'm entering my 6th week now. Clarion is asking for the deposit ASAP, but I want to wait until I hear from Drexel. I'm afraid that if I wait too long to respond to Clarion, my spot would be gone.

I currently work part-time at a public library and a co-worker of mine said that if I called Drexel and said another school I applied to has a closely approaching deadline for the non-refundable deposit, and that I prefer to go to Drexel, they will "most likely" give me the answer right then and there. I honestly don't trust her advice, and I'm unsure of what to do. I'm starting to worry I won't get into Drexel.

I hope the waiting/deciding is going a lot better for everyone else!

It couldn't hurt to contact them and ask! People in the IS/MLIS word tend to be fairly friendly, I find. 

I can only comment as to what I would do, but if I were waiting, and I hadn't contacted them recently, I'd probably send a friendly, polite email. 

Thanks for the comment! I am doing exactly that -- seeking internall and externall for funding. Ideally I'd find an assistantship, but I don't know how willing other departments are to offer a position to someone in a different dept / school. We'll see! Time to do my homework..

On April 15, 2016 at 11:17 AM, Meghanlodon said:

I was accepted into Western Washington University for their Archives and Records Management program, and am super excited! Their department is a part of their history department though, would this MA be considered professional or humanities in this case?

I sent them an e-mail inquiring about exactly this last week. They are not ALA accredited, so it is a humanities program within the History department. Be aware that this may limit your employment options, post graduation. Looks like a great program otherwise though! Best of luck.

3 minutes ago, RoseRed said:

I sent them an e-mail inquiring about exactly this last week. They are not ALA accredited, so it is a humanities program within the History department. Be aware that this may limit your employment options, post graduation. Looks like a great program otherwise though! Best of luck.

Yeah, I went ahead with it since my interest lies more in the historical aspect and having Archiving as a concentration within that context may suit me better. Thanks!

On April 15, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Neist said:

I hope everyone's decisions went smoothly! Be sure to let us know where you're going. :) 

So I went and visited Simmons and Pratt. On paper, Simmons seemed like the stronger, better choice, but Pratt really shone in person. I sat in on three classes; two of them were extremely good. At Simmons they had me sit in on a pre-requisite core class which was practically elementary; I think that was a mistake on their part. In the end, Pratt is the program I got really excited about.

But! Then, the day before I was set to leave NYC, I receive an e-mail from the Udub: I got off their waitlist! I had been so relieved to have finally made my decision, but now I feel like I'm back to square one. So I went to the Udub yesterday and met with them. I sat in a class and met some students. It seems like a great program (and I'm from Seattle). The internship opportunities are nowhere near as amazing as those available in NYC (NYPL, the Met, Natural History, Guggenheim, etc., etc.), however, I would like to live in the Northwest eventually, so maybe going to the UW is a more practical choice, since I could network here as I go to school. Also, life in Seattle is way less stressful than NYC, which I experienced during 4 years of undergrad...

Both offer three-year dual Masters programs with other departments, however, at the UW I would have to apply during 1st year, with no guarantee of acceptance--whereas at Pratt I am already accepted into the dual Masters program and it is an integrated/structured program. Tuition is comparable, but NYC is more expensive because of higher cost of living, etc.

I am extremely conflicted. Clearly both are great programs and have a lot to offer. I have to decide by Thursday. I was granted a deadline extension from Pratt.

Any advice/comments would be much appreciated!