STS Applicants - Fall 2016

Neist

4 minutes ago, ladyobscure said:

And...someone got in...apparently. I'm no longer so hopeful at all.....

Aw, man. It's not me. :( 

Welp, I guess if I don't hear something soon then I can assume I didn't get in.

14 minutes ago, Neist said:

Aw, man. It's not me. :( 

Welp, I guess if I don't hear something soon then I can assume I didn't get in.

Seems like for me thats already 2 out - Cornell and Chicago. Wasn't too hopeful, but I guess it still hurts....I haven't heard back anything positive or negative from elsewhere and apparently Chicago is still deciding...

1 minute ago, ladyobscure said:

Seems like for me thats already 2 out - Cornell and Chicago. Wasn't too hopeful, but I guess it still hurts....I haven't heard back anything positive or negative from elsewhere and apparently Chicago is still deciding...

Yeah, I wasn't too hopeful, either. But I'm an optimist, so I was trying to stay positive.

I could try to convince myself that they roll out acceptances over a few days, but I somehow doubt that. There's only about 4 acceptances per year. It doesn't take very long to notify four people.

C'est la vie. 

On 2/20/2016 at 10:25 PM, ladyobscure said:

And...someone got in...apparently. I'm no longer so hopeful at all.....

The results board is headache inducing.

I wish that schools would just release all of their results at the same time (yes, no, wait list). It would be better than having to assume the worst while quietly hoping that things will still work out. I heard a rumor from somebody at Cornell that the program received 40 applications this year for only 3 spots. Steep odds. So maybe 3 acceptances and 3 wait list spots? Granted, it's hard to know if any of those wait list spots will wind up turning into acceptances at all.

On 2/19/2016 at 6:03 PM, nevermind said:

STS/HSS is such a weird field anyway.

I totally agree, it's also a relatively new field (in some respects). A lot of schools are just starting to offer STS programs, and so it's hard to know what the field is really going to look like in even 5 years. There might be many more programs - or at least more schools that are offering affiliated undergraduate minors. But, we'll all have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, A Librarian said:

I heard a rumor from somebody at Cornell that the program received 40 applications this year for only 3 spots. Steep odds. So maybe 3 acceptances and 3 wait list spots? Granted, it's hard to know if any of those wait list spots will wind up turning into acceptances at all.

That's about in-line with their normal numbers. They usually take ~4, so 3 is perhaps a little lower than norm, but not absurdly so. The 2013 application year had 63 applicants.

https://public.tableau.com/views/Assessment-Selectivity/Selectivity?:embed=y&:display_count=yes&:showTabs=y&:toolbar=no&:showVizHome=no

Still, I'd be shocked if no one here got accepted. Grad cafe tends to be frequented by a higher average of applicant, I find.

Edited by Neist

2 hours ago, Neist said:

Still, I'd be shocked if no one here got accepted.

I've been fascinated by the wide range of programs that people on this board applied to - it seems to me like there haven't been too many programs to which a lot of us applied - with the exception being Cornell. I'd be curious to know who that acceptance on the results page belongs to...lurkers? Anybody?

19 minutes ago, Logik said:

Stress levels increasing...

Indeed...There's something about seeing a professor say "what a competition" that makes this whole thing just seem like even more of a game show...

Edited by A Librarian

10 hours ago, anthrostudentcyn said:

@Logik LOL I chuckled at that tweet. All admissions committees should live tweet their timeline. 

I regretfully admit that when I saw that post I immediately looked up the twitter account of Cornell STS.

It has no relevant updates. Disappointing. :P 

Cornell Uniersity Science And Technology Studies (STS), PhD (F16) Other via Other on 22 Feb 2016 O 22 Feb 2016
  • I was just told by the contact person that the results should be out this week.

Saw this on the results.

Still unsure if the earlier post is legitimate, but it's good to hear something from the department.

44 minutes ago, Neist said:
Cornell Uniersity Science And Technology Studies (STS), PhD (F16) Other via Other on 22 Feb 2016 O 22 Feb 2016
  • I was just told by the contact person that the results should be out this week.

Saw this on the results.

Still unsure if the earlier post is legitimate, but it's good to hear something from the department.

Thank you to the brave soul who contacted the department.

I will now go from checking my e-mail every ten minutes to checking my e-mail every five minutes.

Oy.

On February 21, 2016 at 2:46 PM, Logik said:

Stress levels increasing...

2PmigNs.jpg

I know this prof. He makes me second guess myself every 5 minutes. Nice guy, though it does not help me see him tweet this.

15 hours ago, ladyobscure said:

I know this prof. He makes me second guess myself every 5 minutes. Nice guy, though it does not help me see him tweet this.

Sometimes I think that professors and departments are actually watching these grad cafe forums and they periodically send out messages like that tweet because they enjoy watching us squirm.

I know that sounds like paranoid hogwash...but it doesn't mean I'm wrong...

23 hours ago, A Librarian said:

Sometimes I think that professors and departments are actually watching these grad cafe forums and they periodically send out messages like that tweet because they enjoy watching us squirm.

I know that sounds like paranoid hogwash...but it doesn't mean I'm wrong...

I assume that some do. Now, does that mean I'm going to filter my opinions or thoughts in hopes of presenting myself in a better light? Nope. Education involves considerate discussion and opinion. I'm not sure if I find it apt to suppress my thoughts. Now, I might embarrass myself and often be incorrect, but there's no shame in that. Educating oneself involves a lot of being wrong.

Also, it's been a quiet lately. No news this week. I like to imagine we're all just staring at our emails waiting for Cornell's results. ;) 

9 minutes ago, Neist said:

Cornell rejection just came through.

Same here.

Feeling disappointed, but at this point I was expecting it.

Earlier in the year I got a fortune cookie that read "you will be rejected from Cornell" - I should have listened to the cookie!

In some ways it's a relief to be done waiting. I've kind of written off the two schools I'm still waiting to hear from (UBC and U of Toronto) - so now I can focus on actually picking a program.

Congratulations to everybody on this board for their acceptances!

Just now, A Librarian said:

Same here.

Feeling disappointed, but at this point I was expecting it.

Earlier in the year I got a fortune cookie that read "you will be rejected from Cornell" - I should have listened to the cookie!

In some ways it's a relief to be done waiting. I've kind of written off the two schools I'm still waiting to hear from (UBC and U of Toronto) - so now I can focus on actually picking a program.

Congratulations to everybody on this board for their acceptances!

Exactly how I feel. I'm more disappointed that I lost $95 in application fees. :D 

I'm still waiting to hear from RPI. Did they ever contact you in regards to funding decisions? It's almost impossible to gauge if I have any chance at this point. If it weren't for the email correspondence notifying me that decisions were still undergoing, I would have absolutely assumed rejection. It's been nearly three weeks now.

5 minutes ago, Neist said:

I'm still waiting to hear from RPI. Did they ever contact you in regards to funding decisions? It's almost impossible to gauge if I have any chance at this point. If it weren't for the email correspondence notifying me that decisions were still undergoing, I would have absolutely assumed rejection. It's been nearly three weeks now.

They did - and they are hosting their welcome event next week. The aid package isn't huge (but it also isn't tiny), but I think that it will probably go a decent way seeing as Troy is relatively inexpensive. I also had a conversation with somebody at RPI where I was told that most students who come in having already earned an MA are usually able to finish the program in just four years (which is nice).  

44 minutes ago, A Librarian said:

They did - and they are hosting their welcome event next week. The aid package isn't huge (but it also isn't tiny), but I think that it will probably go a decent way seeing as Troy is relatively inexpensive. I also had a conversation with somebody at RPI where I was told that most students who come in having already earned an MA are usually able to finish the program in just four years (which is nice).  

That's good to know! I think my suspicion that they're holding off on rejections until students matriculate is probably correct.

I'm going to assume rejection at this point, especially if their welcome event is fixing to happen. Thanks for the heads up. :) 

By chance did anyone here apply for the NSFGRFP? I think it probably applies to STS, although I'm not entirely certain.

Edited by Neist

2 hours ago, Neist said:

Cornell rejection just came through.

Oh well! :P Check your mail soon!

I saw the rejections on the board and checked my email while I was in line with my credit card company...let's just say I nearly shat my pants.

Alas, I have heard nothing as of yet from the good folks at Cornell....maybe the rejections will come through just when I depart for my internship tomorrow...

Edited by ladyobscure

1 hour ago, Neist said:

Exactly how I feel. I'm more disappointed that I lost $95 in application fees. :D 

Yep. Definitely why I didn't apply! It's SUCH a competitive department that even though I *went* to Cornell and took a graduate class in the dept. AND there were professors who  overlap with my interests, it was still a long shot. To me, that's crazy.

Hopefully you guys don't beat yourself up for it. I know how hard it is to get accepted from "dream" programs, but now I'm so pumped about UCSD (especially with their financial offer) that it's becoming a "dream program" for me. Hopefully your other offers will do the same for you!

4 minutes ago, nevermind said:

Yep. Definitely why I didn't apply! It's SUCH a competitive department that even though I *went* to Cornell and took a graduate class in the dept. AND there were professors who  overlap with my interests, it was still a long shot. To me, that's crazy.

Hopefully you guys don't beat yourself up for it. I know how hard it is to get accepted from "dream" programs, but now I'm so pumped about UCSD (especially with their financial offer) that it's becoming a "dream program" for me. Hopefully your other offers will do the same for you!

If I get funding at OU, it'll actually be quite a good offer. There's the whole issue of academic incest, but their MA program feeds directly into their PhD program. Even though I'm accepted into their masters program, the department and program is more or less a PhD track, assuming you do well in your masters and assuming you desire to obtain a PhD.

They don't offer a lot in the way of funding, but Oklahoma isn't exactly expensive either. I'd also save a lot of money because I wouldn't have to move. If I only get offers at BGSU and an eventually-funded OU, I'd be pretty happy with my options.