STS Applicants - Fall 2016

Neist

On 3/30/2016 at 11:43 AM, A Librarian said:

Trying to make a decision.

My partner and I are now visiting some of the cities so we can make the final pick, but at this point I think I know which direction I'm leaning in...I think.

Come to UCSD!!! We can be in the colloquium together! :) 

On 3/30/2016 at 2:50 PM, ladyobscure said:

Can I guess? UPenn?

We have a winner! I was waiting to make a final decision until my partner and I had a chance to visit the various cities. We liked Philadelphia the best...and so now we'll be moving there.

Very excited!

Edited by A Librarian

1 hour ago, A Librarian said:

We have a winner! I was waiting to make a final decision until my partner and I had a chance to visit the various cities. We liked Philadelphia the best...and so now we'll be moving there.

Very excited!

Congratulations! Sounds like you'll love it. :)

On March 23, 2016 at 0:46 PM, AmandaADomingues said:

need some help here. I stil have chances of getting admitted  to the History and Sociology of Science Program at Georgia Tech. I found the program really nice, but I saw that apparently no one in the forum have applied there. I would like to know (I am not from the US) what you think about this program and the university. What have you heard about it? Is it good? Does the program is a reference?

I also applied to the program at Georgia Tech.  A friend of mine turned down an apparently well funded offer from them to pursue a different research focus elsewhere, but he had nothing but good things to say about the program.  Most of my colleagues where I teach think that the program would be a good opportunity as well. Good luck!

RPI finally sent me a rejection. :D 

I decided against attending there anyway, but I'm glad I was eventually notified.

Hi,

I have done my undergraduate studies in Mechanical Engineering, and unfortunately found it rather isolated from society and real issues. Hence, since I have always had strong passions for social sciences and especially sociology, I did my best to find a program combining sociology and engineering. Thus, I applied for Science & Technology Studies (STS) and related programs in some Universities. However, differences among programs I have applied and got admission from are rather significant, and I cannot make my decisions. 

I have been admitted into "Science, Technology, and Environmental policy (STEP) " at University of Minnesota without funding; also, got admission from Virginia Tech' STS program and U of Oklahoma' History of Science again without funding. Among all there is another admission from Michigan Tech University RTC (Rhetoric, Theory, and Culture) program with 30 K funding. 

Do you have any idea how can I make my own decisions? 

Thank you

On 4/16/2016 at 5:27 AM, rhlabbasinejad said:

Hi,

I have done my undergraduate studies in Mechanical Engineering, and unfortunately found it rather isolated from society and real issues. Hence, since I have always had strong passions for social sciences and especially sociology, I did my best to find a program combining sociology and engineering. Thus, I applied for Science & Technology Studies (STS) and related programs in some Universities. However, differences among programs I have applied and got admission from are rather significant, and I cannot make my decisions. 

I have been admitted into "Science, Technology, and Environmental policy (STEP) " at University of Minnesota without funding; also, got admission from Virginia Tech' STS program and U of Oklahoma' History of Science again without funding. Among all there is another admission from Michigan Tech University RTC (Rhetoric, Theory, and Culture) program with 30 K funding. 

Do you have any idea how can I make my own decisions? 

Thank you

Yes. Go with the one that funds you. :)

1 hour ago, nevermind said:

@rhlabbasinejad, I agree with @nevermind. And I support his statement as someone who is attending one of the programs you were accepted into in the Fall. Funding at OU was rough this year. There were only two funded slots for 18 applicants. I love the program, but I doubt I would have came here if I didn't receive funding.

Take the money and run! :) 

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/19/2016 at 0:13 AM, Neist said:

@rhlabbasinejad, I agree with @nevermind. And I support his statement as someone who is attending one of the programs you were accepted into in the Fall. Funding at OU was rough this year. There were only two funded slots for 18 applicants. I love the program, but I doubt I would have came here if I didn't receive funding.

Take the money and run! :) 

On 4/19/2016 at 11:08 PM, nevermind said:

Thanks for your responses. Actually, I got partial funding opportunities for Uni of Minnesota, and since it is high ranked, I accepted its offer. I hope It turns out good :)

• 2 years later...

Hey I know this is an old thread, but it's the only one I could find with a substantive discussion about STS PhD programs. I've recently been accepted to Cornell's STS program, and Northwestern's sociology program (and their science studies cluster). Anyone at these programs who could tell me about their experience there? Or those who have thoughts about the pros/cons of a designated STS program versus a disciplinary program like Northwestern's?