2016 Admission result and Applicant profile For INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS

AD

4 hours ago, keviv1692 said:

Okay guys so just finished my 20 mins Skype interview,I think it went well. Fingers crossed!! Here are the questions that I was asked-

1)What are your strengths, weaknesses and accomplishments? 2)Please explain your Research and your role in it? 3)If you expect a conflict how do you plan to resolve it? 4)What are the challenges that you can foresee as a graduate student? 5)Some questions that you want to ask?

Good luck to all those who have Skype interviews. I think this will help you. Now I have one more on Tuesday, Hope to ace it!

Cheers!

glad to hear that your interviews went well. I also just finished my UPenn interviews today. It was almost 40 minutes. They told me that I'll hear something around 25th-26th February. Fingers crossed!

17 hours ago, pavitraviswanath said:

Have any of you'll heard back from UT Houston? Any idea when they will be announcing dates for interviews?

No I haven't heard from them yet.
They posted interview visitation details for domestic students on their website but nothing about international students.
I guess we'll know if and when they decide to extend a skype interview invitation.
Their last interview visitation for domestic students is not until march 10-12 so maybe we still have time.

On 2/18/2016 at 8:59 AM, keviv1692 said:

@pavitraviswanath HI, if it's of any help to you I just got rejected from UT Houston/MD Anderson (GSBS).

Oh! I applied to the Cancer Biology program too! But I still haven't heard back.. That's pretty much the reason why I'm really worried now

On 2/18/2016 at 10:32 AM, ndp13 said:

They posted interview visitation details for domestic students on their website but nothing about international students.
I guess we'll know if and when they decide to extend a skype interview invitation.
Their last interview visitation for domestic students is not until march 10-12 so maybe we still have time.

I hope we have time! I don't think fortune is in our favour.. many people have already heard from them and we haven't.. :(

And I finished my application late November.. 

11 hours ago, pavitraviswanath said:

I hope we have time! I don't think fortune is in our favour.. many people have already heard from them and we haven't.. :(

And I finished my application late November.. 

I am an international student currently studying in U.S. I just got interview invitation from GSBS so I think you guys still have time. No worries!

Congrats to all who did interviews and for those who are still waiting.....Keep on going!! Best of Luck !!! Its very hard for international students...even for those who come from less reputed institutions !!!! I feel science have some boundaries after all...!!

57 minutes ago, keviv1692 said:

Congrats man..So happy for you!

Thank you! I also got another admit from UMich Ann Arbor..Decisions DecisionS!!

And huge congrats on your UMASS acceptance!! Working with a nobel laureate gotta be fun :D Good luck on your journey to PhD!!!

On 2/26/2016 at 6:03 AM, oncovirus said:

i still haven't heard from UT Houston. i applied to the cancer bio program

On 2/18/2016 at 10:32 AM, ndp13 said:

I emailed one of the coordinators.. They said that all the applicants will be notified by the end of this week. So I guess it's a reject for all of us.. I have no idea if any international student has interviewed there yet..

8 hours ago, pavitraviswanath said:

I emailed one of the coordinators.. They said that all the applicants will be notified by the end of this week. So I guess it's a reject for all of us.. I have no idea if any international student has interviewed there yet..

Ohhh, I have a colleague who got an interview email from them last January but they still haven't specified the skype dates until now. They just said it will be held much later than the interview weekends

32 minutes ago, oncovirus said:

Ohhh, I have a colleague who got an interview email from them last January but they still haven't specified the skype dates until now. They just said it will be held much later than the interview weekends

Then again, I don't really have hopes anymore. I guess I'm going for masters then!

On 2/26/2016 at 7:37 PM, oncovirus said:

@stacyZ which program was your first choice at UTH?

I don't remember I picked a program in my application and I think they reviewed applications all together...I interviewed during Feb 25th-27th and received admission a week after...So guys, any idea which college is better, MD Anderson/UTH or Baylor college of medicine? I can't really make a decision since they are both in Houston.....Thanks!!!

And congrats to those who just got admissions!!!

13 hours ago, stacyZ said:

I don't remember I picked a program in my application and I think they reviewed applications all together...I interviewed during Feb 25th-27th and received admission a week after...So guys, any idea which college is better, MD Anderson/UTH or Baylor college of medicine? I can't really make a decision since they are both in Houston.....Thanks!!!

And congrats to those who just got admissions!!!

Which program in BCM did you apply to?

16 hours ago, keviv1692 said:

@stacyZ Hi, I guess if your focus is on cancer biology, look no further than MD Anderson cancer center;also it has an umbrella admissions program(GSBS), so it will give you even more freedom to choose your specialized track.

However, Baylor is one of the top colleges in the world and if I were to choose from these 2 , I'd go with BCM..Moreover, it looks like MCB is your preferred area of focus. So in my view, BCM will be a good choice.

Also, these are just my views. Its your decision at the end, also consult some of your friends and teachers and take their advice into account while making a final decision.

Both of them are great.Congrats!

Thanks!!!!! That really helps! :)

On 3/8/2016 at 9:23 PM, stacyZ said:

MCB. molecular and cellular biology. Any suggestions?

I agree with what keviv1692 said there.

Unless it's cancer biology, I'd go with BCM without any second thoughts.

BTW, seems like you got interview call from UTSW too. If you don't mind me asking, when did you hear from them and how many interviews did you have?

6 hours ago, ndp13 said:

I agree with what keviv1692 said there.

Unless it's cancer biology, I'd go with BCM without any second thoughts.

BTW, seems like you got interview call from UTSW too. If you don't mind me asking, when did you hear from them and how many interviews did you have?

I got my interview invitation on Jan 29th, but they didn't settle it down until the end of Feb. I guess they are really busy scheduling Skype interviews for international students... I have a friend who is currently a first year grad student at UTSW and she said she got admitted four days right after her Skype interview. I interviewed last Wednesday so it's already been a week but I am still remain positive!! We will see...

I applied 12 and got 5 interviews (UMD, BCM, MD Anderson/UTH, Wisconsin-Madison and UTSW). So far I only got offers from BCM  and MD, and I think I am on the wait list for UMD (which is super weird...but I don't plan to go anyway). I am still waiting to hear back from UTSW and will have a interview at W-M tomorrow (they gave me admission first but asked me to find a professor that is willingly to take me before receiving a formal offer... I don't plan to go either since they don't do rotation)...