Fall 2016 Genetic Counseling Applicants

gc09621

Hello!

New to the grad cafe and new applicant for Genetic Counseling programs.

My stats:

GPA: 3.8/4.0

GRE: V 164/ Q 156/ A 5.0

Experiences: 

- One month as a GC intern and a few other days of shadowing

- Crisis counseling as a domestic violence advocate

- Vice President of a Volunteer organization

- Volunteer at a cancer care center

- Genetics TA

- Undergrad research with two fellowships

- Attended NSGC AEC

- Worked part time throughout entire college career

I am waiting anxiously to hear back from more schools!

Edited by hopefullygc

Hi all! New here. I'm in the same boat as everyone, nervously waiting and refreshing my email way too often! @weilongli1, what survey are you talking about in the last post? Just this one, or is there another forum to see which schools have started contacting and which haven't? Thanks!

Also, I can't figure out how to make the signature with my list of schools, so I'll just write it in:

Applied: Cal State Stanislaus, Arkansas, Alabama, Michigan, Northwestern, UBC, and U of Toronto

Interviewing: Michigan, Arkansas, Alabama

Rejected: None (yet, knock on wood!)

Edited by gcfc1989

@gcfc1989 If you click on your profile settings, there should be a tab for signatures! And by survey I mean the Gradcafe results survey (you can get to it from the main Gradcafe site), where people post results for their apps.

In other news, just got an invitation to interview at Boston University tonight! Super excited!!!!

23 minutes ago, lmorse said:

YAY

Did anyone select their interview yet? I can't see anything on my application online like the email says...

I found it! After you log in, click on the link in the sentence that says "Upon submission, you can check the status of your application and materials by visiting the following page: https://apply.slc.edu/apply/status"

Hi everyone!

I'm joining in on the discussion :)

I applied to 6 schools and have heard back from three so far--Sarah Lawrence, Pitt & UBC. Interviews at all 3, which I can't even believe, since I know how ridiculously competitive this field is!

Anyways good luck to everyone and let's hope we keep hearing from more schools!!!

@geecee92 thanks!! congrats to you too :) from what I can tell in the email, the interviews are only an hour and then they have some sort of informational lunch?? however I know that U of T does a single, panel interview (where you're interviewing in front of multiple faculty members at the same time) so it's possible that UBC has a similar format! 

@Jello310 I would assume it means confirmed? Or you could wait a few days until after you choose the interview date, when they send the info package!! But yeah I totally agree...flights are outrageous, especially from Toronto. Oh well, I'll think of it as a mini-vacation to the west coast (it'll be my first time & I truly cannot wait!)