Fall 2016 Genetic Counseling Applicants

gc09621

23 minutes ago, MaeGC said:

Today was a good day in my email! I found out I have an interview at both Virginia Commonwealth and University of Texas!

Congrats :D Wow, I see you've gotten most of your interviews already, that's gotta be a relief.

Edited by weilongli1

hi everyone,

greetings from INDIA.....i am so happy to find people applying to the same programs as i am. i have applied to 4 of them which are slc, upitt, john hopkins and wisconsin. I haven't heard back from any of them yet. So anxiously waiting as of now....is there anyone else here who applied for dual program at upitt. I applied for gc and public health genetics there and have got letter of acceptance from the public health department. So now i badly want a call from upitt

Hi gc21!! Congrats on the MPH acceptance! I hope you get an interview from UPitt too but I didn't apply there or know how their interview notifications work. I know SLC will contact students again to arrange the April interviews :)

6 minutes ago, geecee92 said:

Wisconsins sending out interviews btw!! Just got mine today! Too excited! 

Just got mine too! I feel like I can finally let out a sigh of relief! Let me know what days you'll be there?

@gc09621 @b5b7 I hope I'm not too late for my preference.. but I signed up for Apr11-12, with both of your dates as my second and third choice of preference. I wanted to sign up for an earlier date but its annoying because I'm still waiting for a response from Northwestern.. and I'm hoping to bunch those two close together since I'm flying from Canada.. Good luck to us all, and hopefully I'll see one of you if I dont end up getting my choice! 

@gc21 I'm sorry to hear that! This is my second time applying to Wisconsin so I've received that crappy rejection letter from them before.. I haven't heard back from JHU either, and the director of UPitt emailed me back saying they're still reviewing applications, and interviews are not all sent at once so we still have a chance! Also, were you able to get advocacy/counseling experience in India?

Has anyone applied to/heard from Northwestern? Their application was due waaaaaay before any other program's (Jan. 3rd), but I've heard nothing. I went to their week-long summer internship and loved it there, so I'm anxious to hear back from them! :)

PS--- if anyone else is wondering the same thing about Cal State Stanislaus, I emailed their admin coordinator to ask when we might hear. She said they're just now starting to go through applications, and they'll invite people for interviews at the end of Feb/beginning of March, and the interviews will be early- to mid-April. Kinda late, but I guess it's good since all the other programs seem to have everyone interview in March! :)

Hi guys!

I'm an international student (with U.S. undergrad degree) from South Korea. This is my second time applying, and I had one interview last year, waitlisted, but apparently didn't get accepted. 

I feel very under qualified reading all of you guys' bio. I found out about genetic counseling at the end of my senior year, was only able to have 3 days worth of job shadowing done. Don't have any real advocacy experience (I tried to get some back in Korea after graduating, but couldn't get any. :( ). I had experience working at a stem cell research institute for an year, volunteering at nutrition department at a local hospital where I did my undergrad studies, 3 months of research intern at Psychology lab, TA for general biology for one quarter, and was Vice President of Korean American Scientists and Engineer's Association. Due to the fact that I found out about GC so far into my college years, and that I had to return to Korea after graduation didn't leave me much chance to get advocacy and job shadowing experiences.

After being officially rejected from all programs last year, I started working as an intern at Genomic Medicine Institute at Seoul National University, attended NSGC AEC at Pittsburgh, took an online general psychology course (I flunked one in my first quarter as an undergrad and every school I applied to told me that it was part of what made my application weak), and am taking a course to get certified as a psychological counselor.

GPA: 3.55/4

GRE: 158/167/4.5

I applied to 12 programs this year: SLC, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northwestern, Stanford, JHU, Boston University, Brandeis, U of Cincinnati, Wayne State, U of Pittsburgh, Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai.

Yes, it was expensive, but I couldn't risk not being admitted again this year:(

So far, I was rejected at : Wisconsin, Wayne State, Stanford, and Minnesota

I have interviews at: U of Cincinnati (3/7), U of Pittsburgh (3/16), Brandeis (3/18), SLC (3/22), and Boston University (3/25)

still waiting to hear back from Northwestern, JHU, and Icahn. 

I'm really happy about the five interviews I got! but very sad about Stanford :( two of my cousins live around the area, and I really liked the program. 

Anyways... Congrats to those who got the interviews! and for those who are still waiting, let's stay strong.

Also, I saw a lot of applicants who applied to most of the schools I applied to, but is there anyone who applied to Icahn this year? or have in the past? 

Edited by futureGC

On 2/3/2016 at 1:14 PM, GCtoBe said:

Hello all!

I am bummed to see on here that Minnesota has already sent out their interviews, I was really hoping to get one there!

This is my first year applying I did applied to:

Minnesota

Cincinnati

Ohio State,

Wisconsin

Maryland

I am hoping to hear back from programs soon! Good luck everyone!

Applied: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Ohio State, Maryland

Interview: Maryland

Rejected: Minnesota, Wisconsin, Cincinnati

2 hours ago, chg7358 said:

Has anybody else applied to UBC but has yet to hear back from them? I saw that a couple people posted interviews last week, but I have not received word back myself.

Thanks and good luck to everyone! :) 

I'm not sure but it seems that on the UBC doodle poll they sent to us, me along 24 other applicants were already invited.