mso525

Hey guys,

I recently got accepted to both the Masters of Child Study and Masters of Teaching. Has anyone heard that you are now only receiving 60 credits which is apparently equivalent to any other BED program. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone knew more about this and if OISE was going to do something about this. I have heard that the "masters" now that teachers college is two years will not really give you an edge or be accepted into principal Qualification courses or be reviewed as an A4 pay level.

Edited by Ally23

On 2016-02-01 at 0:32 AM, mso525 said:

Hello all! I have applied to the Master of Arts- child study and education at OISE, and was wondering if anyone had received interviews offers yet? (to start school in 2016 fall)
The waiting is making me extremely anxious... especially since I thought I had a good chance of being accepted :(

Hey yes I received my acceptance via email. However, they said they would be mailing a package end of March

I received an interview for the MA child study and education but unfortunately have not heard anything afterward. I also applied to the MT program and did not hear anything either. Doesn't look too good for me right now! 

On March 3, 2016 at 9:03 PM, Ally23 said:

Hey guys,

I recently got accepted to both the Masters of Child Study and Masters of Teaching. Has anyone heard that you are now only receiving 60 credits which is apparently equivalent to any other BED program. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone knew more about this and if OISE was going to do something about this. I have heard that the "masters" now that teachers college is two years will not really give you an edge or be accepted into principal Qualification courses or be reviewed as an A4 pay level.

Hey, I have also heard it is equivalent to any other BEd program.  The only difference I have heard of is the research-based component that a Masters offers...otherwise I have heard there has been a lot of controversy over why this Masters program is so appealing over any other BEd programs (again this is just what I have heard..I don't know if in competition with a BEd student you would have an edge or not)

I just checked with the liaison and she had stated that I did not get into MA child study and Education, congrats to all that did though! Did people receive their acceptances to MT or MA child study and education programs seperately? 

On 2016-03-03 at 9:03 PM, Ally23 said:

Hey guys,

Sorry this is the first I'm hearing of this... so is the MT program actually a Masters program at all? Or just a BEd program that does more research? How could it not be considered as an A4 pay level?

20 hours ago, speechies said:

I received an interview for the MA child study and education but unfortunately have not heard anything afterward. I also applied to the MT program and did not hear anything either. Doesn't look too good for me right now! 

Out of curiosity, what did your application look like? In terms of experience/GPA etc. I also applied to the MT program!

3 minutes ago, VictoriaKBun said:

Out of curiosity, what did your application look like? In terms of experience/GPA etc. I also applied to the MT program!

hello,

my last year was A/A+ range. I had employed experience at a private school, summer camp, and before and after school program(all 3 years ago mind you) I had volunteer experience at a ASD center and have done paid emergency lunch duty a couple of.times for the Ycdsb. Majority of my recent volunteer work was in Speech Language Pathology however. I noticed during my interview they mentioned it alot and I think that was my downfall. I made the program seem like a "backup" to speech language pathology which they also asked if I applied to. I still hope to hear from MT though!! It definitely was not a backup plan... I spoke to the liaison for the MT too and she said they are mailing out official offers next week. What is your application like ? It seems really competitive this year !!

31 minutes ago, speechies said:

hello,

my last year was A/A+ range. I had employed experience at a private school, summer camp, and before and after school program(all 3 years ago mind you) I had volunteer experience at a ASD center and have done paid emergency lunch duty a couple of.times for the Ycdsb. Majority of my recent volunteer work was in Speech Language Pathology however. I noticed during my interview they mentioned it alot and I think that was my downfall. I made the program seem like a "backup" to speech language pathology which they also asked if I applied to. I still hope to hear from MT though!! It definitely was not a backup plan... I spoke to the liaison for the MT too and she said they are mailing out official offers next week. What is your application like ? It seems really competitive this year !!

It sounds like you have great experiences! Your grades sound great, were your first 3 years just as strong? It seems so strange that you haven't heard back from either program!!

My application to the MT program was basically:

- 3.9ish major GPA
- 3.7ish CGPA
- 300+ hours of experience in high school classrooms
- registered tutor with my undergrad university
- private tutor for a student on the autism spectrum
- volunteer work at a daycare center

I did receive an email from the MT department recommending me to the program a few days ago, so hopefully that means I will see a letter in a week or so!

Edited by VKBun

3 hours ago, VKBun said:

It sounds like you have great experiences! Your grades sound great, were your first 3 years just as strong? It seems so strange that you haven't heard back from either program!!

My application to the MT program was basically:

- 3.9ish major GPA
- 3.7ish CGPA
- 300+ hours of experience in high school classrooms
- registered tutor with my undergrad university
- private tutor for a student on the autism spectrum
- volunteer work at a daycare center

I did receive an email from the MT department recommending me to the program a few days ago, so hopefully that means I will see a letter in a week or so!

congratulations !! Yea my first two years were in the B range but my last two were A/A+.. I thought the MT looked at last year only though... After reading this forum I am wondering is the MT not really considered masters anymore ??

19 hours ago, speechies said:

congratulations !! Yea my first two years were in the B range but my last two were A/A+.. I thought the MT looked at last year only though... After reading this forum I am wondering is the MT not really considered masters anymore ??

You still will graduate with a "masters".  I have just "heard" that this doesn't really give anything extra besides just an extra degree.  You are still becoming a teacher just like every other teacher candidate in the BEd program.  Again, this is just what I've heard as I frantically ask around and network with other teachers trying to make a decision!

Edited by asp5

1 hour ago, asp5 said:

You still will graduate with a "masters".  I have just "heard" that this doesn't really give anything extra besides just an extra degree.  You are still becoming a teacher just like every other teacher candidate in the BEd program.  Again, this is just what I've heard as I frantically ask around and network with other teachers trying to make a decision!

ahhh understood. U of T does have one of the best (in my opinion the best) faculties of education though, so for me my choice is still 100% made!

1 hour ago, VKBun said:

ahhh understood. U of T does have one of the best (in my opinion the best) faculties of education though, so for me my choice is still 100% made!

Oh for sure! And lots of opportunities for research which is where I think they set themselves apart!

On 2016-03-05 at 3:03 PM, asp5 said:

Oh for sure! And lots of opportunities for research which is where I think they set themselves apart!

Absolutely! One of my undergraduate professors told me that in Canada, U of T is the best place to get a Master's degree simply for the resources and support - it is unparalleled!

3 hours ago, tazjp said:

Hi!

Did anyone receive their admission letter in the mail yet? :)

Not yet! I was told they were being mailed out on March 11th.. I did get the Master of Teaching one though. Did you? 

On March 15, 2016 at 3:24 PM, cainn said:

Not yet! I was told they were being mailed out on March 11th.. I did get the Master of Teaching one though. Did you? 

Not yet! I was told 11th as well :)

i did receive my MT one too, but I'm accepting the MA 100%

On February 25, 2016 at 1:19 PM, tazjp said:

Nice @11am123 ! See you there :)

Did u have an interview? And if yes when? My friend didn't get any news yet either but her interview was just a few days ago. I got my acceptance email from the liaison at MACSE! I'm sure there is nothing to worry about because even in her email she mentioned that the official acceptance will be getting to me end of March/early April.

Hey guys! Quick question: did you guys get accepted in the Practice Based Inquiry field or the Research Intensive Field? I had an interview for the program too but I didn't get any emails from them so I'm getting a little anxious about the results (I did get accepted into the MT program, didn't hear back from MA though :(

40 minutes ago, AK47 said:

Hey guys! Quick question: did you guys get accepted in the Practice Based Inquiry field or the Research Intensive Field? I had an interview for the program too but I didn't get any emails from them so I'm getting a little anxious about the results (I did get accepted into the MT program, didn't hear back from MA though :(

I got accepted to the PBI which i had an interview for in Feb., i would suggest contacting the MA liaison for follow up on your status!

8 hours ago, tazjp said:

I got accepted to the PBI which i had an interview for in Feb., i would suggest contacting the MA liaison for follow up on your status!

Ahh gotcha! Thanks a lot! The liason is on March break but the registrar's office told me acceptance letters are coming in mail soon so I'm going to cross my fingers. I was part of the RIT stream so I'm hoping maybe that's why I haven't heard back yet!! *Crossing all my gingers right now!* :unsure::o

2 minutes ago, AK47 said:

Ahh gotcha! Thanks a lot! The liason is on March break but the registrar's office told me acceptance letters are coming in mail soon so I'm going to cross my fingers. I was part of the RIT stream so I'm hoping maybe that's why I haven't heard back yet!! *Crossing all my gingers right now!* :unsure::o

when I emailed the liason she said all offers were given out by email already.

41 minutes ago, speechies said:

when I emailed the liason she said all offers were given out by email already.

Oh man :( Ok, thanks a lot for letting me know! Good luck with the rest of your applications! 

3 hours ago, AK47 said:

Oh man :( Ok, thanks a lot for letting me know! Good luck with the rest of your applications! 

Don't worry I am in the same boat! I just wonder what they do if someone declines? Do they even have a waiting list? I don't know!