Irvine, CA

TheMole

I lived in Irvine for a couple of years, I don't think I would have survived without a car. It's true that you can go to the gym and do groceries without a car, but basically that's it. Public trasportation is not really an option during weekends and at night, so if you want to go to the beach/bars/restaurants you will need one.

As for the housing options: after one year on campus, I moved to a nice apartment on the beach, in the quiet part of Newport. It is a bit cheaper than Irvine, and UCI has a free shuttle from NB to campus.

• 2 weeks later...

craigslist is definitely an option. also, there are a lot of flyers on campus but most of them are undergrads seeking roomies. graduate housing is located mostly in arroyo vista (on-campus) but others are scattered around irvine (many are not w/in driving distance). i've heard bad things about the irvine co. but they have pretty much monopolized all off-campus housing in the area with the exception of parkwest apts. if you will have access to a car i would suggest living in costa mesa for slightly cheaper housing. newport beach is also an option except the beach houses can get loud on the weekends. good luck!

• 9 months later...

I'd love more information about Irvine.

I am from San Francisco, attended undergrad in Santa Cruz, and was recently accepted to UC Irvine. Im thinking I'll enjoy the weather, but am worried about my lack of a car and the stereotypical shallow socal vibe.

Any comments?

I am looking for similar information. And just about Irvine in general. Im not too familiar with Orange County and Southern California. I was born and raised in San Francisco, then attended undergrad in Santa Cruz. I am a little worried I won't like it, especially without a car.

Almost all of orange county is really expensive.

If you are willing to drive a bit to school, a cheaper area nearby is Santa Ana, farther north probably Orange. If you head west or south of the university, it tends to be more expensive. I would suggest bopping around orange county craigslist (http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/)--they usually have the city in parentheses after the listing. If you don't have a car, get one. You won't survive in orange county without one.

It's true, if you live off campus you'll need a car. The housing is expensive all around OC, and ewurgler is correct that Santa Ana/Tustin is going to be your best bet for affordable housing. Keep in mind, though, that some parts of Santa Ana are very sketchy. Orange County isn't very good about public transportation either, but there are bus routes that take you to UCI, so if you move off campus and don't have a car, I would check the OCTA website (http://www.octa.net/schedules_maps.aspx) to see if you live near a UCI bus route.

So my question is; can we commute from Irvine to some Silverlake LA or Long Beach? All my professors say that's what they do and although there's traffic you have lots of culture in these pockets. Also that with a car you can get anywhere and not be locked in the enviroment everyone has described here concerned to Irvine.

Also - how's the grad population? Active? Dull?

People that are at Irvine - do you take advantage of the LA cultural life?

can we commute from Irvine to some Silverlake LA or Long Beach?

With a car, yes. But you'll quickly learn that traffic is bad in the evenings and especially on Fridays. But if you are living in/around Irvine, the greater LA area and San Diego are not out of reach.

I did my undergrad at UC Irvine and loved UCI. here are some tips

Vista Del Campo is the best on-campus housing! Do whatever you can to get in- I believe the grad VDC even has a washer and dryer in every apartment.

Do not commute from LA or SD!! You will be in your car at least 4 hours a day. As wonderful as Silver Lake, Los Feliz, and all the other hipster neighborhoods are it is not worth the commute. If you are looking for hipster in the OC, live in Costa Mesa.

If you want beachside live on the Newport Penninsula. I currently live in Corona del Mar beachside, but I do not have a neighbor under 40. It is an old wealthy neighborhood.

Take advantage of the Film and Video Center at UCI- the weekly screenings are amazing.

As an undergrad at UCI, I did everything I could to get out of Irvine. If you're looking for housing in OC, I'd recommend Costa Mesa; if you're willing to make the commute to/from LA county, I'd suggest Long Beach. I feel obligated to warn those of you considering UCI that the environment is very sterile (and at times felt soul-draining) - no amount of money or entourage of brilliant faculty would convince me to attend UCI as a graduate student.

So my question is; can we commute from Irvine to some Silverlake LA or Long Beach? All my professors say that's what they do and although there's traffic you have lots of culture in these pockets. Also that with a car you can get anywhere and not be locked in the enviroment everyone has described here concerned to Irvine.

Also - how's the grad population? Active? Dull?

People that are at Irvine - do you take advantage of the LA cultural life?

I was a Film and Media Studies undergrad at UCI- you are going to LOVE the Visual studies program! The Film professors are AMAZING!!!!! As are the curent grad students. Several of the profs do commute from the LA are, but they also are not on campus everyday. SO if you are going to be on campus everyday, then avoid LA at all costs!

and yes I absolutely take advantage of LA. i am up there prob every other weekend. I was just there on Fri for a film premier.

As an undergrad at UCI, I did everything I could to get out of Irvine. If you're looking for housing in OC, I'd recommend Costa Mesa; if you're willing to make the commute to/from LA county, I'd suggest Long Beach. I feel obligated to warn those of you considering UCI that the environment is very sterile (and at times felt soul-draining) - no amount of money or entourage of brilliant faculty would convince me to attend UCI as a graduate student.

hey thanks for being honest! Can you tell me why you found it so soul-draining? I have been stuck in rural PA for 2 years and think nothing can get worst than this so I'm curious to hear more!

thanks!

I'm going to visit this weekend. I'm prepared for some kind of Stepford Wives environment after this thread!

You won't see it at the university, but you definitely will if you go out dinner or shopping in orange county, or at any starbucks :)

It is an interesting place and redefines "strip mall," "plastic surgery," "blonde," "cougar," "gated community" and "conspicuous consumption." But hey, it could be a place for great research on american excess.

hey thanks for being honest! Can you tell me why you found it so soul-draining? I have been stuck in rural PA for 2 years and think nothing can get worst than this so I'm curious to hear more!

thanks!

irvine, like much of orange county, is full of strip malls, parking lots, and miles of planned communities that look completely identical to one another. seriously, I spent years living there, and I still managed to get lost trying to navigate the suburbs. let's see... most businesses close before 9pm. homeless people are transported to poorer sections of orange county. racial profiling is particularly bad. the intense micro-managing of all aspects of the city (placement and pruning of trees, color of windowpanes, etc) gives the city a feeling of superficiality and sterility. it's also very conservative. I couldn't believe when one of the republican groups on campus held a bake sale in which they charged white men $5 and black women $1 for donuts. it's a decent city for raising kids (it's safe, there are parks, good schools, etc) but not so much for 20/30-somethings. two of my friends are leaving uci because they can't handle the surroundings. anyway, I urge you to check the campus and city out. you can always throw yourself into your work and put up a barrier between yourself and your surroundings. there are good things & bad things about every city, and it's ultimately about creating your experience and maximizing the aspects that make you happy.

ok, update now I'm back home:

I didn't feel that it was a soulless place at all. Planned, yes, but not without interest: independent stores and restaurants, diverse people (at least in how they looked, dressed, etc.). I only dealt w/the people at the university and service professionals, but no one seemed vapid.

I thought the surrounding was beautiful, the buildings and landscaped green space were well done and the weather was lovely.

My husband, who was driving, had one major complaint. He said the drivers were unbelievably aggressive, and he's used to driving in Boston!

The students and faculty in my department treated me (and the other recruits) very well and the campus itself was very nice. I think the way the University (and my department in particular) is heading is something I think I want to be a part of, but I've still got a few other schools to see :)

Im glad to hear the school and area didnt seem completely void of any sort of culture. Ive still got a few weeks until my open house.

Most people Ive talked to recommend getting a car. Seems reasonable enough. Just means it is about time I get my drivers license! :D

Yes, yes. I am 23 years old, and I do not have my license. Ive never needed it with public transportation getting me around in half the time, and usually cheaper. But Orange County seems kinda ridiculous to navigate by bus. I looked up how long it would take to get from UCI to the Santa Ana Airport. According to the website, it would take about an hour. Umm, an hour to go like 5 miles? Not my cup of tea. I guess I'll grow up and get my license. haha.

I couldn't believe when one of the republican groups on campus held a bake sale in which they charged white men $5 and black women $1 for donuts.

Were I a black woman, I would have totally bought a doughnut -- assuming it wasn't too overpriced -- just to watch them squirm. (At the same time, of course, I totally understand why people would stay far, far away instead.)

So, here's a question: is $16,500/year (plus a little extra for summer research, most likely) enough to live on without taking out student loans? The Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships site suggests that it's just barely enough for living on campus, but definitely not for living off campus. I'm moderately familiar with Irvine -- I've been there several times -- but am not so familiar with the campus or its immediate surroundings.