Venting Thread

dgswaim

16 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

OKAY. SOMETHING HAPPEN!! 

I feel the same way!  Often, I feel like even rejection emails are better than limbo.  I know UCSD and UPenn have sent out all/some of their acceptances, but I've heard nothing.  I assume they're both rejections, so why won't they just send them already?!

15 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

Whoa Grad Cafe is back up! Now is my chance: WHAT IS GOING ON, INDIANA??! WHAT IS GOING ON MADISON AND SYRACUSE WAITLISTS??!!

And what's up with Boulder? No more acceptances (non-fellowship)? Also it seems the gaps between acceptances and waitlists is especially large this year. That's lame. I'm on edge. 

On the Leiter Report there is a post stating that Harvard has reduced its PhD admissions. Here is the link: http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2017/02/harvard-reducing-phd-admissions-across-the-board.html

I'm curious to know if there is any information online stating what the size of the incoming classes for PhD programs will be, or what they were in the past few recent years. Given our willingness to share our responses from programs, this information could be useful in deducing how many spots are left. 

Also a side note; Timothy O'Connor is leaving Indiana and going to Baylor starting next fall. 

6 minutes ago, ApplyingToGradSchools said:

On the Leiter Report there is a post stating that Harvard has reduced its PhD admissions. Here is the link: http://leiterreports.typepad.com/blog/2017/02/harvard-reducing-phd-admissions-across-the-board.html

I'm curious to know if there is any information online stating what the size of the incoming classes for PhD programs will be, or what they were in the past few recent years. Given our willingness to share our responses from programs, this information could be useful in deducing how many spots are left. 

Also a side note; Timothy O'Connor is leaving Indiana and going to Baylor starting next fall. 

Yeah, I saw that about O'Connor awhile ago (Alex Pruss had a post about it awhile back). I made a hubbub about it a few weeks ago. In any case, Indiana is still attractive to me. Also, I'm anticipating (mostly hoping) that they will hire another metaphysician in his place. 

I really wish some of these schools would just reject the people they're going to reject at the same time they're accepting and waitlisting people so that those folks don't have to sit and wonder what's going to happen to their applications. I understand that unsuccessful applicants aren't prioritized as much, but I think it would really be appreciated.

8 hours ago, matchamatcha said:

I feel the same way!  Often, I feel like even rejection emails are better than limbo.  I know UCSD and UPenn have sent out all/some of their acceptances, but I've heard nothing.  I assume they're both rejections, so why won't they just send them already?!

I haven't seen any UPenn wait list yet (at least on the results page)..

12 hours ago, 753982 said:

I really wish some of these schools would just reject the people they're going to reject at the same time they're accepting and waitlisting people so that those folks don't have to sit and wonder what's going to happen to their applications. I understand that unsuccessful applicants aren't prioritized as much, but I think it would really be appreciated.

The "hidden waitlist" being a thing that sometimes exists only exacerbates the problem. If I'm not going to get into anymore schools, I'd like to know so I can get on with my decision. Making a decision before April 15 would be great. Doing so while waiting on a response would be silly, though.

16 minutes ago, Kingoftherats said:

Please let there be more Boulder and UConn acceptances soon. Anxious @Kingoftherats is anxious. 

I'm also really hoping for Boulder. I'm even more anxious with the fellowships already released. I'm worried that all acceptances have gone out and we've only just heard of the fellowship acceptances. 

26 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

I'm also really hoping for Boulder. I'm even more anxious with the fellowships already released. I'm worried that all acceptances have gone out and we've only just heard of the fellowship acceptances. 

I don't think so, since I got notification of the fellowship in a personal email, but no official offer letter. Also, it was February 20th last year, right? 

2 minutes ago, Ibycus said:

I don't think so, since I got notification of the fellowship in a personal email, but no official offer letter. Also, it was February 20th last year, right? 

That is certainly encouraging. Thank you for this. 

3 hours ago, Dialectica said:

Do you think that applies to UConn as well? A majority of the posted results (2 of 4 maybe, I'm lazy) say that they were for a fellowship. Hopefully another wave of non-fellowship acceptances or waitlistings come soon!

On 2/13/2017 at 9:08 PM, majorshake said:

Yale and Toronto are both expected this week. Would be nice if they were a bit early.....

Since 2012, Toronto has always released their first (non-fellowship) decisions on Fridays. Because they did not release any decisions today (to my knowledge), I am inclined to informally shift my prediction to Friday, February 24th. 

28 minutes ago, Sam Anscombe said:

Since 2012, Toronto has always released their first (non-fellowship) decisions on Fridays. Because they did not release any decisions today (to my knowledge), I am inclined to informally shift my prediction to Friday, February 24th. 

I'm looking forward to hearing from this school.

1 hour ago, Sam Anscombe said:

Thanks for the info, Sam!