Venting Thread

dgswaim

1 hour ago, Glasperlenspieler said:

I'm getting ready for my implied rejection lol

What are implied rejections? Is that when you don't hear back from a school but they have already sent out a wave of acceptances?

While I stop hoping after the wave of acceptances goes out without me, I've heard some acceptances are sent as late as April 15th. 

Granted, that's because of people turning down their offers, and I have a feeling NYU doesn't dig deep into their waitlist

53 minutes ago, goss said:

What are implied rejections? Is that when you don't hear back from a school but they have already sent out a wave of acceptances?

Not only acceptances but also wait-lists I think. If we assume that a school can either accept or wait-list or reject you, and does not accept nor wait-list you, then it it implies they have rejected you even if they have not sent you one just yet? :P

Looks like I'm not going to hear from a single school this week. Extremely frustrating given I've been checking my email way more than I should.  I can't wait until this is all over. It really hurts when you check grad cafe and see others have already been accepted to schools to which you applied. I don't know why I deluded myself into thinking I had a shot at T25 schools.

Edited by 753982

I'm not superstitious, but my horoscope uncannily captured the experience of waiting to hear back from grad schools:

"You must wait for authorities to make a decision about your future, before your real work can begin."  

The results page was poppin' today, however it seemed like it was mostly rejections sadly.

I haven't heard anything since NIU (MA) on 2/14 and the wait is killing me. Does anyone have any fun plans this weekend to make the waiting time go faster?

2 hours ago, goss said:

The results page was poppin' today, however it seemed like it was mostly rejections sadly.

I haven't heard anything since NIU (MA) on 2/14 and the wait is killing me. Does anyone have any fun plans this weekend to make the waiting time go faster?

Conference this weekend for me! Presenting my paper, which was my writing sample for every school I applied to.

2 hours ago, goss said:

I'm leading a book group here in Austin tomorrow on Chekhov's story "In Exile." 

At Columbia, we were told that the department would have to justify any acceptance of their own past students extremely well to the grad school and so needed particularly strong applications from such students in order to accept them. But I know of at least three people (one a long time ago, two recent) who got in in spite of that. Also don't know how common this policy is.

55 minutes ago, Øieblikket said:

At Columbia, we were told that the department would have to justify any acceptance of their own past students extremely well to the grad school and so needed particularly strong applications from such students in order to accept them. But I know of at least three people (one a long time ago, two recent) who got in in spite of that. Also don't know how common this policy is.

I think sleepingsussurus' question was rather: Is there a rule that prevents (a certain number of) students from program X from being admitted into program Y?

51 minutes ago, To φ or not to φ said:

I think sleepingsussurus' question was rather: Is there a rule that prevents (a certain number of) students from program X from being admitted into program Y?

yes, that is what I meant. Thanks, @To φ or not to φ

1 hour ago, Øieblikket said:

This is also good to know if I go with an MA program in hopes of being accepted to their PhD later! 

7 hours ago, Øieblikket said:

Don't suppose you were also told when offers might be coming out?? :D

37 minutes ago, majorshake said:

Don't suppose you were also told when offers might be coming out?? :D

If I was I wouldn't be lying awake at 1-2am every night checking TGC!

Also, apologies for the misunderstanding. On that other issue, I might add that I know of at least one program that admitted two students from the same school - by by now I'm a little too far into anecdotal territory to feel entirely comfortable. Then again, aren't anecdotes the only thing we have to warm us by in these troubling weeks?

I've got to ask one more time: is anyone willing to act as a liaison for folks interested in Indiana's program? They are terribly "late" at this point, and so I'm curious what is going on and when they will release. Ideally, this would be someone that has no interest in going there, so as to avoid any worries of leaving a bad impression and the like. If someone could call or email the department about this, many of us would really appreciate it. If it helps, there have been folks in past years that have done this with success and no bad impressions were had. 

Come on, Brown...

1 hour ago, Dialectica said:

I've got to ask one more time: is anyone willing to act as a liaison for folks interested in Indiana's program? They are terribly "late" at this point, and so I'm curious what is going on and when they will release. Ideally, this would be someone that has no interest in going there, so as to avoid any worries of leaving a bad impression and the like. If someone could call or email the department about this, many of us would really appreciate it. If it helps, there have been folks in past years that have done this with success and no bad impressions were had. 

How much will you PayPal me? ;)

Edited by 753982

this is so stupid, but one of the schools I've applied to is still awaiting on my official scores (ETS I hate you)!!! I've sent them - just in case - the self-report by mail (there is no option on the portal to upload your documents). The problem is that they seem to be not accepting unofficial reports even for the time being. And they don't tell if the department will still review my file or not. Well, probably not ...

I've also contacted the department but no one replied me back. weird. The deadline was Feb. 15, btw. Do you know whether an application's being 'incomplete' is an obstacle for the department to review it?

Edited by mano

34 minutes ago, mano said:

this is so stupid, but one of the schools I've applied to is still awaiting on my official scores (ETS I hate you)!!! I've sent them - just in case - the self-report by mail (there is no option on the portal to upload your documents). The problem is that they seem to be not accepting unofficial reports even for the time being. And they don't tell if the department will still review my file or not. Well, probably not ...

I've also contacted the department but no one replied me back. weird. The deadline was Feb. 15, btw. Do you know whether an application's being 'incomplete' is an obstacle for the department to review it?

That has happened for a few of the programs I've applied for (e.g. Pitts HPS): the usual response is that the committee will look at your submitted / reported scores independent of the official scores so the official scores should not matter in making a decision for your application. The official scores are mostly there to ensure that you weren't just pulling numbers out of thin air, so I wouldn't worry so much about it if I were you. (Still worth writing in to ask imo, but wanted to give you some peace of mind!)