Venting Thread

dgswaim

5 minutes ago, eigenname said:

That has happened for a few of the programs I've applied for (e.g. Pitts HPS): the usual response is that the committee will look at your submitted / reported scores independent of the official scores so the official scores should not matter in making a decision for your application. The official scores are mostly there to ensure that you weren't just pulling numbers out of thin air, so I wouldn't worry so much about it if I were you. (Still worth writing in to ask imo, but wanted to give you some peace of mind!) 

thanks!!

yeah, what you are saying is reasonable. but the problem with that school is they don't accept self-reports (it is explicitly said on the website). I've also sent my unofficial scores by mail but I am afraid due to their policy they just won't accept it. aghhhhh...:lol: (this is supposed to be a cry not laugh)

1 minute ago, mano said:

thanks!!

yeah, what you are saying is reasonable. but the problem with that school is they don't accept self-reports (it is explicitly said on the website). I've also sent my unofficial scores by mail but I am afraid due to their policy they just won't accept it. aghhhhh...:lol: (this is supposed to be a cry not laugh)

Ahh that's a bummer. Perhaps give the admin a few more days (~2 weeks from deadline) to match the GRE scores to your dossier / reply to your email - if there's no update even after then, then I think it wouldn't be too problematic to give them a friendly call. :) 

16 minutes ago, Ikari Gendo said:

Anyone to claim the waitlist for Calgary PhD?

In case you're looking for verification of (some) waitlist emails being sent out, I do know someone else who received a waitlist email yesterday, but they weren't the person who posted.

Quick question: If, upon inquiry, a school tells me that my application 'was very impressive' but I was not selected for the initial round of interview invitations, adds that they might decide to interview a second group of students at some later time but will have no information about it for a few more weeks, should I take it as an outright rejection (set credence of acceptance = 0), or leave open a small possibility of acceptance (set credence to some (low) non-zero value)?

10 minutes ago, eigenname said:

Quick question: If, upon inquiry, a school tells me that my application 'was very impressive' but I was not selected for the initial round of interview invitations, adds that they might decide to interview a second group of students at some later time but will have no information about it for a few more weeks, should I take it as an outright rejection (set credence of acceptance = 0), or leave open a small possibility of acceptance (set credence to some (low) non-zero value)?

I would take this at face value. I don't see any reason that they would claim to be considering a second round of applicants in which you would be included when they don't intend to do any such thing. If they didn't intend to do this, I can't see why they wouldn't reject you explicitly - adcoms are not known for beating around the bush when it comes to rejections.

What did your inquiry sound like?

Oh, and by the way: was this WUSTL, if you don't mind my asking?

Edited by Coconuts&Chloroform

5 minutes ago, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

I would take this at face value. I don't see any reason that they would claim to be considering a second round of applicants in which you would be included when they don't intend to do any such thing. If they didn't intend to do this, I can't see why they wouldn't reject you explicitly - adcoms are not known for beating around the bush when it comes to rejections.

What did your inquiry sound like?

Thanks! I was just thrown off guard by the phrasing - am I safe to assume I am on some wait-list? Should I clarify whether I am indeed on a wait-list?

I basically inquired about the status of my application because first-round decisions are usually made mid-February, and asked whether I could know the current status of my application or when it will be out. 

Edited by eigenname

6 minutes ago, eigenname said:

Thanks! I was just thrown off guard by the phrasing - am I safe to assume I am on some wait-list? Should I clarify whether I am indeed on a wait-list?

I basically inquired about the status of my application because first-round decisions are usually made mid-February, and whether I could know the current status of my application or when it will be out. 

Hm, I'm not sure. This is a weird situation. I think of a waitlist as a ranked list of applicants who are not accepted but who become eligible for acceptance when accepted students decline offers, but this sounds somewhat different: this sounds like a pool of students that may be reconsidered for acceptance regardless of whether or not everyone in the already-accepted pool accepts their offers. So, they may have interviewed 8 students, but are deciding whether or not to admit a class of 12, rather than just 8. Who knows, though.

Edited by Coconuts&Chloroform

1 minute ago, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

Hm, I'm not sure. This is a weird situation. I think of a waitlist as a ranked list of applicants who are not accepted but who become eligible for acceptance when accepted students decline offers, but this sounds somewhat different: this sounds like a pool of students that may be reconsidered for acceptance regardless of whether or not everyone in the already-accepted pool accepts their offers. So, they may have interviewed 8 students, but are deciding whether or not to admit a class of 12, rather than just 8. Who knows, though?

I feel like I just keep having these weird situations - first with WUSTL (still an enigma) and now with this. Do you think it's a good idea for me to just ask what might affect their decision to have a second round of interviews, or should I just thank him and wait?

2 minutes ago, eigenname said:

I feel like I just keep having these weird situations - first with WUSTL (still an enigma) and now with this. Do you think it's a good idea for me to just ask what might affect their decision to have a second round of interviews, or should I just thank him and wait?

Definitely bizarre. I'd just thank them and wait, but I can understand why you'd want to probe further. If you do, I highly doubt it would hurt your chances, though.

29 minutes ago, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

Definitely bizarre. I'd just thank them and wait, but I can understand why you'd want to probe further. If you do, I highly doubt it would hurt your chances, though.

I sent off an email just asking whether this is some sort of wait-list, and what might affect their decision to have a second round of interviews... fingers crossed. 

1 hour ago, mano said:

I saw few Michigan acceptances yesterday. might they be fellowships? and, I also wonder whether they have sent out wait lists as well..

A current student there said that they usually call admitted and waitlisted students over a couple days, so they may not be out yet. 

1 minute ago, Witsclaw said:

A current student there said that they usually call admitted and waitlisted students over a couple days, so they may not be out yet. 

cool. thanks for the info!

@Coconuts&Chloroform Just heard back from the DGS - it turns out you were partially right, and I am simply in some pool of students who may be reconsidered for acceptance, though this is contingent upon the initial offer-holders deciding to reject their offers. If a wait-list is waitingI think this is waiting3... 

On the bright side: not an outright rejection (for now)!

Edited by eigenname