Venting Thread

dgswaim

3 hours ago, Ibycus said:

To be fair, a 154/144 is still well over 200. I suppose you meant 300? 

Oops! Yes, that's exactly what I meant. Aaand of course, I can't edit the post now. :rolleyes: 

32 minutes ago, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

There are two relevant conditions here, IMO:

1) It's at least a week into March when you intend to solicit.

2) Decisions were released no later than a week before you intend to solicit.

(1) is satisfied, so if (2) is, as well, I'd say go ahead.

This is very helpful, thanks!

2 will be satisfied this coming Wednesday, so I'll give it a bit more time.

8 hours ago, Franzkafka said:

It is suitable. I did that two years ago and was accepted into two MA.

Thank you very much. I got the rejection today and I sent my request to the chair of the admission committee. Hopefully he will agree to reconsider me.

11 minutes ago, Dysexlia said:

Someone on the results board posted that they got rejected from BC but they meant to post BU.

There are still two rejections up though, and none from BU. I'm pretty sure BC has started sending stuff out. I'm still waiting on a response from them too. (I also applied to BU and heard back the other week.) 

20 hours ago, Dysexlia said:

Yeah, I am in at Brandeis (MA) and got my notification on Wednesday but they are only giving us 3 weeks to decide which makes me especially nervous because I think I might be on at least 1 invisible wait-list. :unsure:

I think I am going to wait two weeks, and then just ask everywhere that I haven't heard from.

Also, same here, but I don't think it's worth worrying about before we even get the official letter. I think most schools will have everything out by the end of this month (I hope!). Congrats on the acceptance! 

Why are all the application pages so much of a pain to find? On so many sites even when I get to a page for prospective students it's still a maze with some guesswork to find the application login. I appreciate the one school with a big apply button right on top of the page.

2 minutes ago, Nichi said:

Why are all the application pages so much of a pain to find? On so many sites even when I get to a page for prospective students it's still a maze with some guesswork to find the application login. I appreciate the one school with a big apply button right on top of the page.

I've just been finding the corresponding email in my inbox and using the link that they send you.

2 minutes ago, Nichi said:

haha, UVA totally camoflages the "apply" button. I have spent like an hour of my life on various days not being able to find it. I also find UCSD's system really confusing. UNC had the best webpage of places I applied IIRC. It's also surprising how different the different apps are. 

44 minutes ago, Dysexlia said:

I've just been finding the corresponding email in my inbox and using the link that they send you.

My life has just been changed forever until April 15. Thanks!

20 hours ago, alephnull said:

To those of you who heard back from BU: has your status on the application website changed? 

Nope. I also haven't gotten an official letter yet (I got the unofficial email on March 3rd), but I think they were on break last week so that's probably why. 

I'm really hoping to hear back from BC and Tufts this week too. I feel like I've been waiting forever! According to results, decisions have been sent out for both schools, plus it's much later than they've gotten stuff out in previous years. 

16 hours ago, Dysexlia said:

I have everything, including links to check status, in my spreadsheet where I collated all the information I ever gathered about all the programs.

I am eccentrically organized, I admit.

Which is a great quality to have in a PhD candidate! </incaseadcomsread>

2 hours ago, Turretin said:

I have everything, including links to check status, in my spreadsheet where I collated all the information I ever gathered about all the programs.

I am eccentrically organized, I admit.

Which is a great quality to have in a PhD candidate! </incaseadcomsread>

It's a good thing UVA rejected me because I forgot my username and password on their application site big time :D 

Any hope of Cornell decisions going out today? It's supposed to be snowing pretty badly on the Northeast in the next couple of days so I'm unsure of how this will affect a release of decisions.

4 minutes ago, Ibycus said:

It's a good thing UVA rejected me because I forgot my username and password on their application site big time :D 

Lol.

Glad also that they didn't direct you to the website to see the determination letter either!

5 minutes ago, Jazahmia said:

Any hope of Cornell decisions going out today? It's supposed to be snowing pretty badly on the Northeast in the next couple of days so I'm unsure of how this will affect a release of decisions.

Haven't they already sent out acceptances? I remember few posts.

1 hour ago, Coconuts&Chloroform said:

Still presuming I'm rejected from NYU, but can't make visiting and moving plans until I have it confirmed and can rule out having to make a visit. These mid-March notifications are pretty rough.

Do you have to visit NYU if you get accepted? I see that they have admitted student "virtual tours." In the infinitesimal chance that I am admitted, I'd rather save my money to pay for the move and new apartment then try to visit.

18 minutes ago, MickeyRay said:

Does anyone have insight into Marquette's PhD program? Even just second hand stuff that they have heard or general thoughts about the schools reputation? I can't find much info about them and I dont know any current/past students. Please PM info if you have it.

Thanks

There are some who applied there, but for Philosophy. (Given your profile info, you might be in the wrong forum)

I've heard of people getting accepted without funding, and that's really, really hard to swallow. I almost applied there, because I've got a serious interest in medieval in addition to early modern. They are, however, unranked on PGR. I don't put too much stock into PGR, because the leiter rankings are somewhat apathetic about (or negative toward) continental programs as well as race and gender.