Venting Thread

dgswaim

19 minutes ago, MickeyRay said:

Oh I meant for philosophy :) I'm a feminist philosopher and applied to both kinds of programs. Thanks for checking on that though and the response!

Ah, great. I hope people PM you some better information than I can provide!

1 minute ago, JurisPrudence said:

FYI - I decided to bite the bullet and email Berkeley about the status of my application. I'm not one of those who was waitlisted early in February.  I'll let you all know the results of the email, if I get any.

We need more of this at this stage of the season. There are so many that haven't said anything to those not currently accepted or waitlisted. If only there were more of us with the bravery to do so. 

33 minutes ago, JurisPrudence said:

FYI - I decided to bite the bullet and email Berkeley about the status of my application. I'm not one of those who was waitlisted early in February.  I'll let you all know the results of the email, if I get any.

Thank you - let us know what the outcome is! 

31 minutes ago, Dialectica said:

We need more of this at this stage of the season. There are so many that haven't said anything to those not currently accepted or waitlisted. If only there were more of us with the bravery to do so. 

There are some particularly egregious ones, like UNC, whose deadline was 13th Dec, and have yet to send out rejections despite sending out waitlists and acceptances over a month ago. I don't get why they need to hold back all these rejections...

Edited by eigenname

15 minutes ago, eigenname said:

Thank you - let us know what the outcome is! 

There are some particularly egregious ones, like UNC, whose deadline was 13th Dec, and have yet to send out rejections despite sending out waitlists and acceptances over a month ago. I don't get why they need to hold back all these rejections...

Agreed. It's really frustrating. I was surprised to see (via facebook group) that UNC still hasn't decided on their rejections. This makes me think they have a hidden waitlist.

Indiana has sent out, ostensibly, everything (acceptances, waitlists, and rejections). Yet I haven't received any word from them as to my status. And then there is Austin and Riverside. Austin has rejected, at the very least, one person (as reported), yet we haven't heard anything else from them. And Riverside is very late this year with their waitlists. Sadly, it seems applicants have had to solicit in past years to get responses from Riverside. 

1 minute ago, Dialectica said:

Agreed. It's really frustrating. I was surprised to see (via facebook group) that UNC still hasn't decided on their rejections. This makes me think they have a hidden waitlist.

Indiana has sent out, ostensibly, everything (acceptances, waitlists, and rejections). Yet I haven't received any word from them as to my status. And then there is Austin and Riverside. Austin has rejected, at the very least, one person (as reported), yet we haven't heard anything else from them. And Riverside is very late this year with their waitlists. Sadly, it seems applicants have had to solicit in past years to get responses from Riverside. 

Wait, UNC hasn't decided on their rejections yet? So they have an open wait-list, and a hidden one? This is just downright confusing.

I left the facebook group because I couldn't stand having updates from both the forum and the facebook group - it was making me unhinged and unable to concentrate on my work :P

Oh dear that Indiana wait sounds stressful. I hope you hear something back soon (or solicit a reply if the wait gets too painful). As for Austin, my partner got into CUNY and Austin, with a high likelihood of going for CUNY (sensible), so you might get a shot if you (or anyone else) are still on some hidden wait-list. :)

1 minute ago, Franzkafka said:

At least, they have already sent out waitlist. 

Yeah I don't have any expectation that I got accepted, but I just want "closure" haha before I start deciding between offers, or waiting for the waitlists (agonizing).

2 hours ago, eigenname said:

Wait, UNC hasn't decided on their rejections yet? So they have an open wait-list, and a hidden one? This is just downright confusing.

I left the facebook group because I couldn't stand having updates from both the forum and the facebook group - it was making me unhinged and unable to concentrate on my work :P

Oh dear that Indiana wait sounds stressful. I hope you hear something back soon (or solicit a reply if the wait gets too painful). As for Austin, my partner got into CUNY and Austin, with a high likelihood of going for CUNY (sensible), so you might get a shot if you (or anyone else) are still on some hidden wait-list. :)

Yeah, the UNC situation is confusing. I can't help but think they are just going to waitlist more, given enough decline their offers. 

And that's what is weird about Austin, they haven't even released their regular waitlists yet. 

Ahh. This information about UNC is very... disconcerting. I have received no updates on my application whatsoever -- it still reads as "submitted" -- and have only heard of three others in the program (on here) receiving an update on the status of their applications, two of which were rejections... 

I had sent an inquiry to the professor I'd been in contact with a couple of weeks ago but never received a response. My heart had been set on this program. Does anyone know why they have been so slow to confirm and reject?

2 minutes ago, whatamidoinghere said:

I still have not received my result from UCLA yet, funny.

You know they are somewhat infamous for never informing some students of rejections, right? 

4 minutes ago, Ibycus said:

You know they are somewhat infamous for never informing some students of rejections, right? 

1 minute ago, whatamidoinghere said:

good to know. I also have no interests emailing them and asking for it. What a waste of money.

or, you might be on their hidden wait list..

1 minute ago, whatamidoinghere said:

this whole hidden waitlist thing is stupid, I don't get it. :wacko::(:huh:

I know. And I don't think (and haven't heard) anyone could actually get in from a hidden wait list - especially for schools like UCLA.

10 minutes ago, mano said:

I know. And I don't think (and haven't heard) anyone could actually get in from a hidden wait list - especially for schools like UCLA.

If UT Austin really doesn't have an official waitlist, I expect people will likely get in off of the secret one. There was a story of someone getting into UT Austin on April 16th one year on the FB group; not sure whether the person had been contacted before that. 

16 minutes ago, Ibycus said:

If UT Austin really doesn't have an official waitlist, I expect people will likely get in off of the secret one. There was a story of someone getting into UT Austin on April 16th one year on the FB group; not sure whether the person had been contacted before that. 

I had a friend get in off Austin's secret (hidden) waitlist, on April 15th. He hadn't heard anything before that. 

Imagine if this was treated like the stable matching problem it is. It might make the visiting part of the consideration trickier, but it would also prevent April 16th offers.

Heck, even if it was turned into a SMP after the visits it'd be an improvement. 

2 hours ago, JuniusBattius said:

Ahh. This information about UNC is very... disconcerting. I have received no updates on my application whatsoever -- it still reads as "submitted" -- and have only heard of three others in the program (on here) receiving an update on the status of their applications, two of which were rejections... 

I had sent an inquiry to the professor I'd been in contact with a couple of weeks ago but never received a response. My heart had been set on this program. Does anyone know why they have been so slow to confirm and reject?

Wait, you mean there were already rejections sent out? Should I be glad that I haven't received one yet then? *gulp* Truly a discombobulating situation...

Edited by eigenname

15 minutes ago, eigenname said:

Wait, you mean there were already rejections sent out? Should I be glad that I haven't received one yet then? *gulp* Truly a discombobulating situation...

I was also curious about that. I haven't seen any reported. 

Regarding UNC, I don't have any privileged info, but I'll say a couple things that might factor in.  First, we are still in the middle of a few faculty searches, which might be delaying sending out rejections.  Second, we had a pretty significant yield a couple years ago, so our admissions practices have changed a little so as to avoid getting more students than we can fund.  The result is a smaller-than-in-the-past group of accepted students, a larger-than-in-the-past group of officially waitlisted students, and, I believe, a so-called "hidden" waitlist.  The purpose of the hidden waitlist is to keep some students in the running without having to fund prospective student visits for them (which can get expensive for the department).  If you haven't heard anything at this point, then you are either on the "hidden" waitlist or else rejected.  Our prospective student visit is this weekend/early next week, so if you're hoping for good news, stay tuned until at least next week.  

6 minutes ago, Gnothi_Seauton said:

Regarding UNC, I don't have any privileged info, but I'll say a couple things that might factor in.  First, we are still in the middle of a few faculty searches, which might be delaying sending out rejections.  Second, we had a pretty significant yield a couple years ago, so our admissions practices have changed a little so as to avoid getting more students than we can fund.  The result is a smaller-than-in-the-past group of accepted students, a larger-than-in-the-past group of officially waitlisted students, and, I believe, a so-called "hidden" waitlist.  The purpose of the hidden waitlist is to keep some students in the running without having to fund prospective student visits for them (which can get expensive for the department).  If you haven't heard anything at this point, then you are either on the "hidden" waitlist or else rejected.  Our prospective student visit is this weekend/early next week, so if you're hoping for good news, stay tuned until at least next week.  

Thanks, I appreciate the info!