Venting Thread

dgswaim

30 minutes ago, Naruto said:

Last year on March 4, I emailed them to ask about my application status. They responded on April 15 to tell me that I was rejected. To my knowledge, they don't contact rejected applicants unless they ask about their application status. I noticed that this year so far, some people who contacted UConn were told that they were waitlisted, and at least one person received a rejection email. Last week, I contacted UConn, but they haven't responded yet. Maybe I'm on a waitlist for the waitlist???

Same here. I contacted them three weeks ago, but haven't received anything. 

Well, negotiating is mildly less unpleasant than I expected. And by "negotiating" I mean "asking if the offer can be increased while acknowledging I don't want to play a negotiation game, can we please do this quickly and then talk about something pleasant like metaphysics".

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I would like to ask what people think about the following conversation. Is A acting inappropriately? Is B's reaction natural? Thank you!

A and B are in the cab, A will get off first.

A: I think this is the last time I see you before (a conference).

B: Yes, that might be the case.

A: Good luck for me, then?

B: (face-palm, clutch head, raise voice) This is unbelievable, unbelievable. This is not on. A: I only said, fingers crossed. What have I done wrong?

B: You cannot tell people what to tell you! How can you do this? (to the cab driver: My friend will get off here.) (in an angry voice) Good luck. All the best. This is not on.

A: Good night. (gets off)

On 7/5/2017 at 11:57 PM, Aesthetic Idea said:

Have A and B been involved romantically? Or is it possible that B has romantic feelings for A?

Not romantically, but they have an intense attitude with one another. What prompted this question (since B is furious rather than loving)?

Edited by muddystone

On 7/6/2017 at 1:43 AM, Comparativist said:

What the hell does ''this is not on" mean?

15 hours ago, Duns Eith said:

Idiomatic expression of "unacceptable!" Perhaps Turkish?

https://forum.wordreference.com/threads/persian-this-is-not-on.2410432/

I dunno.

B is not a native English speaker and they used it to mean this is not acceptable.

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/be-not-on

Edited by muddystone

9 hours ago, muddystone said:

Not romantically, but they have an intense attitude with one another. What prompted this question (since B is furious rather than loving)?

I was thinking that one possibility was that B behaves passive-aggressively and that the situation in the cab was one where B finally lost it (for no reason). I have no idea what the context is, but I thought of romantic feelings because they sometimes explain otherwise inexplicable behaviors. Again, I don't know what the context is and it was just an idea. To return to your original question, A does not seem to have acted inappropriately. And I hope that A gets over this soon. :)

5 hours ago, Aesthetic Idea said:

I was thinking that one possibility was that B behaves passive-aggressively and that the situation in the cab was one where B finally lost it (for no reason). I have no idea what the context is, but I thought of romantic feelings because they sometimes explain otherwise inexplicable behaviors. Again, I don't know what the context is and it was just an idea. To return to your original question, A does not seem to have acted inappropriately. And I hope that A gets over this soon. :)

Thank you so much! :)