University of Maryland, College Park

25 minutes ago, DJS said:

If I accept the offer, I feel that I would rather commute from NYC maybe once or twice a week for classes. Has anyone done this? Or has everyone lived in MD for their MA? 

Others can chime in, but I don't think this is wise/possible, for several reasons. A colleague and friend who is from NYC often travels to NYC to visit friends and family, and the commute is awful. I can't imagine doing 4+ hours each way multiple times a week. If you're taking the bus, then it's often much longer than 4 hours (one time, this friend was stuck on the side of the road for hours because of a bus malfunction). But also, why do an MA with an eye toward PhD applications if you aren't going to go all in? What if the one day you commute to campus is not the day your potential advisors/letter writers come to the campus? Are you going to never attend any lectures, conferences, or reading groups outside of your one or two commute days? Will you be rejecting the funding offer as well, as a TAship requires 10-20 hours of on-campus work (and if you're teaching, likely a MWF schedule)? If it's the city life you love, many folks live in DC or Baltimore. I live in DC and love this city. 

9 hours ago, DJS said:

This question is to anyone with information about the MA program.

I saw on the site that there is an option of completing the MA on a part-time basis. I have some questions/ need some advice.

If I accept the offer, I feel that I would rather commute from NYC maybe once or twice a week for classes. Has anyone done this? Or has everyone lived in MD for their MA? 

Also, how do the MA students feel about their current program knowing that there are applications looming for Ph.D. programs? I worry about having to do all of this again (not necessarily because of the work, but more because of the waiting lol).

Finally, how do UMD MA students feel about their chances for acceptances to programs they sought out straight from undergraduate who brutally rejected them? It happens! We don't love it, but that's life...or rather graduate life.

Thanks all! :)

I agree 100% with PL on the first part, so I'll just address the second...

I'll be "do[ing] all of this again" later this year, and I'm somewhat dreading it...but it simply has to be done. I'll retake GRE (general and subject) again to try to bump up my scores (the former wasn't bad, the latter was the definition of "mediocre"), and will try to do a bit more research on the Ph.D. programs I apply to. The ideal for me would be to stay on with UMD, quite honestly -- not just for the sake of convenience, but because I truly love the program, and have a great rapport with several professors in my field. Last week I had the best single class yet of my graduate career, when a professor delivered a fresh take on the racial component of Othello -- a play I have studied in various ways for literally twenty years. It was a literary epiphany, pretty much, and I want more...

As for chances for acceptances to previously rejected programs...well, even though the acceptance rates will surely remain slim, I can't deny that I already feel a hell of a lot better about myself as an academic, and as a Ph.D. candidate. It's worth pointing out that this time last year, I felt like an extremely strong candidate as well...yet I feel far stronger now. Most of the programs I will be applying to are the same ones that rejected me last year. I'll add a few that I thought about applying to but simply didn't last time around (UVA, Johns Hopkins, GWU), but I think that for the repeat programs, I can add a line in the SOP about realizing the value of getting an M.A. / graduate experience before applying to their program. And it won't just be lip service.

Long story short, the process is arduous, laborious, time-consuming, stressful, and annoying...and I really don't relish having to go through it again. But by that same token, I feel a lot better prepared, and a lot more knowledgeable about what to do (and what not to do) in my applications.

Hi UMD people! I have taken a LOT of time to think about things, and I am still going back and forth between MD and VA. With that said, I see the appeals of both programs, but am looking for some specific advice with UMD.

I will be visiting for the open house (and staying for the conference the next day). My mind is full of questions and I am writing them all down, but I would like some help. What do you think people forget to ask that they regret later on?

I, specifically from all you great and supportive people, would like to learn more about your living experience in MD. How is cost of living/rent? What is the closest/cheapest I can live near campus to avoid getting a car? 

As far as school related things, how likely is one to get the 1/2 TAship option? The tremendously reduced cost of tuition is super appealing, especially because it is paired with a wonderful department.

Last question (for now): I will likely stay at a hotel when I visit for the 11th. Where do you all recommend I stay? It would be for a few days, so I don't want anything too extravagant, but I'd like to avoid hostels. I would prefer to stay as close to campus as possible so I could walk over Friday morning. 

Jeez. That seems like a really long post. Thank you in advance to anyone who can respond to any of my questions!

9 hours ago, DJS said:

Hi UMD people! I have taken a LOT of time to think about things, and I am still going back and forth between MD and VA. With that said, I see the appeals of both programs, but am looking for some specific advice with UMD.

I will be visiting for the open house (and staying for the conference the next day). My mind is full of questions and I am writing them all down, but I would like some help. What do you think people forget to ask that they regret later on?

I, specifically from all you great and supportive people, would like to learn more about your living experience in MD. How is cost of living/rent? What is the closest/cheapest I can live near campus to avoid getting a car? 

As far as school related things, how likely is one to get the 1/2 TAship option? The tremendously reduced cost of tuition is super appealing, especially because it is paired with a wonderful department.

Last question (for now): I will likely stay at a hotel when I visit for the 11th. Where do you all recommend I stay? It would be for a few days, so I don't want anything too extravagant, but I'd like to avoid hostels. I would prefer to stay as close to campus as possible so I could walk over Friday morning. 

Jeez. That seems like a really long post. Thank you in advance to anyone who can respond to any of my questions!

Alright...I'll take a stab at some of these!

I can't really speak to the ask/regret question, since I was already committed to UMD when I attended their day last year (it was in late March last time).

Living in MD has been surprisingly affordable for me. I mentioned elsewhere recently that my wife and I are in a fairly cozy (~800 sq. ft.) one-bedroom condo about five miles from campus, and we pay $1200/m with all utilities included. We live in a nice, secluded, residential neighborhood within a mile or two of all the amenities you could want or need. Anywhere in the vicinity of UMD is going to be urban or suburban (except for some agricultural areas in Greenbelt etc.). In theory, you could live within walking distance of campus. I know that there are a couple of high-rises that are for grad students, though they're a bit pricier than $1200, as I recall. Still, if you're fine with renting a room, or living with a roommate, there are many affordable options if you know where to look. The mean of rental costs is fairly high, but it's not too hard to find affordable and convenient places if you look across a number of platforms (Craigslist, Zillow, Apartments.com, the UMD Housing finder etc.). The metro system in College Park and D.C. (they're connected) is pretty comprehensive, though many people have a love/hate relationship with it...but that's probably true of metro systems everywhere (I've never used it, personally).

Last year the 1/2 TAship was granted to about 1/3 of MA candidates, I think. I honestly don't know how the determination was made by Ralph, but you can certainly ask him at the day for admitted students -- he's very approachable, and is both kind and a straight-shooter (which is a great combination in a DGS). But finding 1/2 GAships on campus is quite possible as well, and those generally carry the same tuition remission as 1/2 TAships. You can mix and match GAships, TAships, and RAships to cover your full tuition. I know a few people in the program who are successfully juggling two 1/2 GAships. I'll be talking about this at length on a panel at the DFAS.

As for hotels...there are many right by campus. The Marriott is the closest, being a five-minute walk from Tawes, but I'm guessing it's pricey. If you haven't already, I would check with Ralph to see if anyone has offered up their couch / spare bedroom to potential students. I know he has put out a couple of calls for that.

Hope this helps!

@Wyatt's Terps

Thank you! The rent seems pretty similar to here in the city, so it isn't anything unheard of.

I don't remember if this has been answered in anotherpost somewhere, but about how big is the MA cohort? I'm finding that some programs vary more than I expected. 

31 minutes ago, DJS said:

@Wyatt's Terps

Thank you! The rent seems pretty similar to here in the city, so it isn't anything unheard of.

I don't remember if this has been answered in anotherpost somewhere, but about how big is the MA cohort? I'm finding that some programs vary more than I expected. 

Last year's cohort (my cohort) was quite big. I think it was something like 25. Offers were made to 30 or so, and from what I have heard, way more students accepted than they had anticipated. I assume (and be assured that this is only baseless conjecture) that this year's cohort will be smaller because of the large number of students still around from last year (keeping in mind that it's a two-year program). There are only so many classes available, after all. I would be surprised if there were offers made to any more than 20 students, with the expectation of bringing in around 12-14. That has its good and bad aspects so far as an incoming student is concerned, but it's probably more good than bad.

@DJS, I stayed at the Best Western on Rt. 1, aka Baltimore Ave.  It's walkable to campus, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend the walk at night. But if I'm reading right, that you live in New York City, you might be fine - it's something like Atlantic Avenue in Brooklyn or upper Broadway.  Apartment buildings, groceries, gas-stations, restaurants, and liquor-stores... there are buses, but there's not a stop directly in front of the hotel....  I would avoid the Quality Inn, which is close but I'm told is a bit shady. 

I may have said this above, but I live in Greenbelt, which is both affordable and pleasant, and mostly use a shuttle bus that runs hourly to the U (though not on weekends or during breaks).  I could give more info about that via PM if you are interested.  In general, while I was looking, I found the options both expensive and sort of unpalatable.  The best rental options I saw were something like in-law apartments in Hyattsville, specifically a section called Riverdale.  The spaces I saw were finished basements, with separate entrances, kitchens, utilities included, and use of the yard. 

You might ask how the department supports students MA students, both in the program, and in their transition to whatever is next.  My guess is that they do a lot.  I never see faculty make distinctions between MA and PhD students in classes, but I don't know how things are with choosing and meeting with advisors, and so on.  I happened to run into a couple of graduating MA students yesterday, and asked them what's next.  It turns out that one is likely going to Princeton, the other to Cornell.  So MA graduates do move on to top-level PhD programs.  

1 hour ago, greenmt said:

@DJS I happened to run into a couple of graduating MA students yesterday, and asked them what's next.  It turns out that one is likely going to Princeton, the other to Cornell.  So MA graduates do move on to top-level PhD programs.  

Just adding on that a couple of other graduating MAs I know are going to UMich and UMass respectively for their Ph.Ds. Quite the successful cohort, I'd say...

18 hours ago, ProfLorax said:

I'm leading the tour for admitted students day! What do you all wanna see? 

I think I'll be there!
I'd really like to see:
The writing center + other various writing spaces
The graduate student lounge (the official space + any sort of unofficial "we always seem to end up here" spaces)
The graduate teaching people offices
Some of the MITH stuff (and perhaps places where MITH stuff happens)
and whatever sort of access grad-students and undergrads have to technology resources.

On 2/26/2016 at 2:00 PM, Wyatt's Terps said:

Just adding on that a couple of other graduating MAs I know are going to UMich and UMass respectively for their Ph.Ds. Quite the successful cohort, I'd say...

Since we're tooting our horn - and why not? - another graduating MA was accepted to several top library schools, and is choosing to stay here, because UMD has pretty fine rare book / archive resources, and is strong in digital humanities.  Also, to go way off topic: I've seen the women's basketball team handily win against tough opponents, twice in the last couple of weeks.  Go Terp Women!  ^_^

Edited by greenmt

17 minutes ago, greenmt said:

Since we're tooting our horn - and why not? - another graduating MA was accepted to several top library schools, and is choosing to stay here, because UMD has pretty fine rare book / archive resources, and is strong in digital humanities. 

I say with no reservation whatsoever that when I apply to Ph.D. programs again this fall, UMD will be one of my top choices. I'll be applying to Yale, Princeton, Johns Hopkins, and some other exceptional schools, but there is a very good chance that I would stay at UMD over any of them, and not just for logistical reasons.

4 hours ago, BowTiesAreCool said:

I think I'll be there!
I'd really like to see:
The graduate student lounge (the official space + any sort of unofficial "we always seem to end up here" spaces)
and whatever sort of access grad-students and undergrads have to technology resources.

Yes, I second MITH and any other tech resources!

Just FYI -- those of you who plan to accept the offer to UMD might be interested to know that a group of current UMD grad students (mostly in the English department) are looking to find replacement residents in their house in D.C. This would be a shared living situation, which would obviously knock rent down considerably. The information is below. If you're interested, just drop me a PM or corner me at the day for admitted students on Friday and I can pass on your information. I'm not affiliated with the property -- just friends with some who currently live there.

Our house has 6 bedrooms, 2.5 bathrooms, a kitchen that can handle cooking in bulk, two big living rooms, a basement where we have been keeping workout equipment and a futon for overnight guests and--my favorite room-- a cozy dining nook in which to drink coffee by day and wine by night with housemates and friends. There is also storage space, a laundry room, and a huge backyard that is perfect for grilling, sunning, gardening, and handstands!

The house has great access to major bus lines/the green and yellow line, convenient to Petworth Citizen and Upshur St Books and everything else in Petworth/Columbia Heights/Mount Pleasant--especially if you have a bike! Rock Creek park is three blocks away.

If you and 4 to 5 of your friends are thinking about starting a group house in NW DC, this house that has been my home for the last two years could be YOUR home next. Please get in touch with me if you want to talk more about this--and if you could help spread the word, I'd surely appreciate it.

On 2/27/2016 at 1:03 PM, BowTiesAreCool said:

I think I'll be there!
I'd really like to see:

On 2/27/2016 at 0:22 PM, lazaria said:

The library!

On 2/27/2016 at 5:36 PM, lazaria said:

Yes, I second MITH and any other tech resources!

Awesome! I haven't got the schedule yet, but if we have time, I will definitely show you MITH (in Hornbake Library) and McKeldin Library. Grad student offices, the writing center, the lounge, and tech classrooms are all in Tawes, so I'll definitely show you those. And our new lactation room and gender inclusive accessible bathrooms!! 

Really excited to meet you! 

• 2 years later...

Despite this thread being 3 years old, I've found it immensely helpful, so thank you all! I am currently waitlisted at UMD and very sadly cannot make it to the prospective student open house, so this has helped me get more of a feel for the school/culture than the website offers.