ETH Zurich ESOP 2016

Hey all! I applied for ETH Zurich two months ago, and I am still waiting for news regarding admission and the decision of the ESOP scholarship. I've seen that last year some student were catching up to go together through the wait. I wonder if we could do the same this year.

Best!

So do  you! Hope that you get admission to the master of your choice! I know some students that already receive their decision in admission last week... but they haven't received any notification from the ESOP yet!

Good to hear your answer by the way!

Physics MSc. I know that the admission committee is evaluating my application since the 22nd Dec, because they noticed me by email, but not more news :S

Robotics, systems and control seem interesting!

Applied for Computer Science. The same, no news yet. From the results history on gradcafe, ETH usually announces results in the mid of February.

Hopefully will work out well. My top choice, probably will go there even without scholarship.

By the way, does anybody know something about average acceptance rate at ETH?

From the gradcafe results I see that there are 80% of accepts. If we take MIT for comparison, it has less than 20% of accepts.

Edited by Oleksii

No idea actually.... I was quite confident of my admission, because I fulfill the requirements for the Physics MSc... But checking last year results in this web-page I have lost part of my illusion... It seems that most people get admission, but although you are a good student seems that sometimes it is not enough! 

If we know something about admission, shall we post it here?

1 hour ago, canas said:

If we know something about admission, shall we post it here?

Yes please, it would be helpful.

I am pleased to hear that you fulfill the requirements. As for me, depending on how they evaluate applications and how they sum credits up, I may be missing a bit more than 30 credits. However I have 3 years of industry experience as software developer and already hold another MS in Information Technology. Not sure if that can compensate several missing credits, but we will see.

Also, now I am trying to find information about how to appeal against admission decision in ETH. I am prepared for the worst case anyway and ready to behave appropriately if it is possible.

5 hours ago, thingii said:

Hello!

I received my admission by email yesterday (9th Feb).

No word on ESOP as of yet though.

Congrats! Hope that now more admission decisions will pop up!

3 hours ago, Stranger123 said:

hey guys!

I have applied for Master Computer Science, has anyone heard back from the admission committee?

Should we share our profiles (GPA, GRE, Research, TOEFL and other stuff)?

If people want, we can share. I haven't received any notification from the admission committee... and I am starting to get really anxious because more and more people have published their results in the results page...

I am finishing my bachelor in Physics from a Spanish University. Normal GPA (not bad, but not excepcional), haven't taken the GRE, 110 at TOEFL ibt, three research internships, one of them in an ivy-league university in USA), and I also hold a bachelor in Music (piano concretely).

I was really confident about my candidature but after seeing other people's background, I lost part of my hope xD

what about u?

Edited by canas

5 hours ago, canas said:

If people want, we can share. I haven't received any notification from the admission committee... and I am starting to get really anxious because more and more people have published their results in the results page...

I am finishing my bachelor in Physics from a Spanish University. Normal GPA (not bad, but not excepcional), haven't taken the GRE, 110 at TOEFL ibt, three research internships, one of them in an ivy-league university in USA), and I also hold a bachelor in Music (piano concretely).

I was really confident about my candidature but after seeing other people's background, I lost part of my hope xD

what about u?

I have finished my bachelor from a Pakistani University. GPA 3.66/4.0 (4th in my batch), no GRE, 100 TOEFL, 2 research internships (including one at CERN), two relevent open source contributions, 1 research paper at a conference(23% acceptance rate), 1 journal under review, one recommendation from CERN  and one from a professor at my university( actually I had held a year long research assistant position at his lab).

I am worried about my GPA, i've heard that swiss universities are grades centric :/

Edited by Stranger123

So I sent my idea for the ESOP proposal to a few professors before applying (reused my GRFP proposal), to try to gauge their interest. A good number of them responded (to my surprise) with a bit of enthusiasm. I sent these emails in early November, so I had forgotten about them and who had or hadn't answered me. I got an email on Wednesday from a professor, saying "during a recent meeting I realized you had emailed me last year and I never got back to you... my apologies... I believe you should hear back from Zurich soon. If it should be positive, and you decide to come here, I'd very much like to discuss your proposal. It doesn't fit exactly into our lab, but [then he suggests how we could adapt current hardware and research to fit my project]." (dots are mine, trying to cut down the length).

While not directly ESOP related, I feel like this is good news. He wouldn't have taken the time to write me back if there would bad things said about my application... right?...

On 14.02.2016 at 7:07 AM, rehab-robotics said:

While not directly ESOP related, I feel like this is good news. He wouldn't have taken the time to write me back if there would bad things said about my application... right?...

Well, that is quite possible I suppose. At least your statement grabbed attention of this guy. It is definitely a positive sign. However, lets wait official results.

Meanwhile, CS committee seems to be not very generous on decisions so far. Hopefully they will provide more decisions this week.

Just got accepted! Hooray :)

Do you know what's the deadline to accept or reject the offer? I'm having interviews with some of the Big4 companies and I would like to have the results of the interviews before deciding on the offer from ETH.

HI, congratulations to everyone who got accepted :) 

I have been admitted to the Computational Science and Engineering program on the 26th of January by email, however I got my letter by post 2 days ago..

10 minutes ago, astone42 said:

Just got accepted! Hooray :)

Do you know what's the deadline to accept or reject the offer? I'm having interviews with some of the Big4 companies and I would like to have the results of the interviews before deciding on the offer from ETH.

In my letter it says I have to send back the registration form by the end of February 2016 in order to take my place, which I think its quite early, the scholarship decision might not even be made by that time... So, I am not sure my answer will be very helpful to you, I guess it s department specific.. 

To the people who have applied for a scholarship, did you get any email confirming the scholarship documents have arrived or are being reviewed (not the ones from the admissions committee) ? I am just being a little paranoid right now .. :)

2 hours ago, tamdan said:

To the people who have applied for a scholarship, did you get any email confirming the scholarship documents have arrived or are being reviewed (not the ones from the admissions committee) ? I am just being a little paranoid right now .. :)

I received an email stating that my scholarships document had arrived properly, but nothing about being reviewed....

6 hours ago, tamdan said:

HI, congratulations to everyone who got accepted :) 

I have been admitted to the Computational Science and Engineering program on the 26th of January by email, however I got my letter by post 2 days ago..

In my letter it says I have to send back the registration form by the end of February 2016 in order to take my place, which I think its quite early, the scholarship decision might not even be made by that time... So, I am not sure my answer will be very helpful to you, I guess it s department specific.. 

You have nearly 15 days to reply to your admission offer. I guess it is quite justifiable since ETH expects it be first choice IF a person is applying for admission there. 

I'm still waiting for my result (CBB, Master's in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics), and honestly, the wait is taking its toll on my day to day working, whereby I have messed up many things just because my mind was (rather is) occupied with result. As for my profile, it doesn't make much sense to post it here since the nature of this particular program is quite different than others. And it doesn't help much by seeing the result page on gradcafe too, as there is no information posted about 2015 results, but a rough ballpark from 2014 means that I should ideally get my result this week.