ETH Zurich ESOP 2016

I have sent an email to the financial aid office asking whether my scholarship documents have arrived at all (since I haven't  received anything about them).. Got a reply that the ESOP commission will be at the beginning of March, should have the decision middle/end of March, nothing more.. So I am supposed to accept my offer even though it depends on the scholarship decision .. ?

1 hour ago, Xerien said:

I'm still waiting for my result (CBB, Master's in Computational Biology and Bioinformatics), and honestly, the wait is taking its toll on my day to day working, whereby I have messed up many things just because my mind was (rather is) occupied with result. As for my profile, it doesn't make much sense to post it here since the nature of this particular program is quite different than others. And it doesn't help much by seeing the result page on gradcafe too, as there is no information posted about 2015 results, but a rough ballpark from 2014 means that I should ideally get my result this week.

Try taking your mind off of it somehow.. I don't have a good method since I am also super stressed and blowing both work and studies.. However for a start I plan on blocking gradcafe traffic, forward important mail to another email address and block my current email address, at least checking will take some effort.. Hopefully it won't be long now, at least for your admission decision.. :)

38 minutes ago, tamdan said:

I have sent an email to the financial aid office asking whether my scholarship documents have arrived at all (since I haven't  received anything about them).. Got a reply that the ESOP commission will be at the beginning of March, should have the decision middle/end of March, nothing more.. So I am supposed to accept my offer even though it depends on the scholarship decision .. ?

I suppose you could just accept the offer, then if you don't get the ESOP retract it? Seems like not a great thing to do, as you'd be taking a spot they could give to someone else sooner, but they aren't leaving you with much of a choice here...

8 hours ago, rehab-robotics said:

I suppose you could just accept the offer, then if you don't get the ESOP retract it? Seems like not a great thing to do, as you'd be taking a spot they could give to someone else sooner, but they aren't leaving you with much of a choice here...

That's my current plan. Living costs is what makes ETHZ not my number 1 preference.

56 minutes ago, thingii said:

That's my current plan. Living costs is what makes ETHZ not my number 1 preference.

I just noticed in your signature you applied to U Stuttgart. I just got accepted to the international MSc Computer Science program on Monday (for summer 2016). It looks like you still haven't heard anything from then? Is it for summer or winter?

1 hour ago, rehab-robotics said:

I just noticed in your signature you applied to U Stuttgart. I just got accepted to the international MSc Computer Science program on Monday (for summer 2016). It looks like you still haven't heard anything from then? Is it for summer or winter?

Congratulations to you!! Were you notified by/are there green checkmarks in the C@MPUS system?

My application was for Winter 2016. I had a lot of issues with the C@MPUS system - at one stage they couldn't find a submitted application. Did you have issues as well?

2 minutes ago, thingii said:

Congratulations to you!! Were you notified by/are there green checkmarks in the C@MPUS system?

My application was for Winter 2016. I had a lot of issues with the C@MPUS system - at one stage they couldn't find a submitted application. Did you have issues as well?

Thank you! I'm happy to have a good place to study and also a way to be in Germany again.

I didn't really have any issues with the C@MPUS system yet... it seems a little shaky and poorly written though. Were you able to get it figured out?

There are green checkmarks in C@MPUS. Attached an image of what it looked like right after acceptance. My girlfriend also applied to Stuttgart, but to a different program, and her program didn't have the ranking information. So it varies by program. On the Thursday before my acceptance, the "qualifying admissions requirements" changed from "not checked" to "fulfilled." On friday, the Ranking boxes showed up, but said "the procedure has not yet been started." Then Monday I randomly checked around 4 pm German time and all the ranking information was filled in, but "Admission" was still marked "not done yet." I got an email at 20:15 (German time) that night with the acceptance. When my girlfriend got her acceptance it also came around 20:13 on an earlier date, so it seems to be an automated system. It came from "Team des Studiensekretariates" email address "no-reply-studiensekretariat@uni-stuttgart.de". Check your spam filter too, the acceptance got caught in hers but not in mine.

Sorry if that's too much information, but I'm hoping it serves as a reference to someone in the future. I was going a bit crazy wondering why it was changing so slowly and why they took so long to decide for spring semester.

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 11.14.19 PM.png

On February 18, 2016 at 10:22 PM, rehab-robotics said:

Thank you! I'm happy to have a good place to study and also a way to be in Germany again.

I didn't really have any issues with the C@MPUS system yet... it seems a little shaky and poorly written though. Were you able to get it figured out?

There are green checkmarks in C@MPUS. Attached an image of what it looked like right after acceptance. My girlfriend also applied to Stuttgart, but to a different program, and her program didn't have the ranking information. So it varies by program. On the Thursday before my acceptance, the "qualifying admissions requirements" changed from "not checked" to "fulfilled." On friday, the Ranking boxes showed up, but said "the procedure has not yet been started." Then Monday I randomly checked around 4 pm German time and all the ranking information was filled in, but "Admission" was still marked "not done yet." I got an email at 20:15 (German time) that night with the acceptance. When my girlfriend got her acceptance it also came around 20:13 on an earlier date, so it seems to be an automated system. It came from "Team des Studiensekretariates" email address "no-reply-studiensekretariat@uni-stuttgart.de". Check your spam filter too, the acceptance got caught in hers but not in mine.

Sorry if that's too much information, but I'm hoping it serves as a reference to someone in the future. I was going a bit crazy wondering why it was changing so slowly and why they took so long to decide for spring semester.

Screen Shot 2016-02-17 at 11.14.19 PM.png

Not at all too much information - it's all helpful! :) And congratulations to you both, I don't have anyone going with me.

It seems like they've left it rather late. I suppose it's because Summer semester intake is not as high as Winter semester, there's probably less applications to process. I agree with you that it seems quite poorly written, but I have seen worse!

Nevertheless, green ticks are always good. I've attached what mine looks like - this has not changed since I submitted, when the system was opened in November (keenness), and after so many back and forth emails, it's still quite ambiguous.

Second screenshot shows the final email I got from them after months of un-replied emails. I sure hope that means it's no longer "lost".

2 minutes ago, thingii said:

Not at all too much information - it's all helpful! :) And congratulations to you both, I don't have anyone going with me.

It seems like they've left it rather late. I suppose it's because Summer semester intake is not as high as Winter semester, there's probably less applications to process. I agree with you that it seems quite poorly written, but I have seen worse!

Nevertheless, green ticks are always good. I've attached what mine looks like - this has not changed since I submitted, when the system was opened in November (keenness), and after so many back and forth emails, it's still quite ambiguous.

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 14.26.42.png

Thanks :) she's German and already over there, so it's more like I'm meeting her there :P 

Okay, I'd give them a call. I'm sure the departments differ in how they handle things, but my "formal admissions requirements" were checked within a few days of submission (I also submitted a winter semester application at the same time that is sitting with the one green checkmark). It just seemed like they just made sure I submitted the correct paperwork. Your admission type is also different, although I'm not sure what each of them means. 

Maybe they can tell you when they plan on checking the formal requirements? The German universities take a notoriously long time to do admissions, even for international students. Some people don't get a letter until a few weeks before the semester starts because people drop out. But I tend to worry about being forgotten (as another university recently did to me for Spring semester in the US), so I'd be calling them until I got a clear answer haha.

16 minutes ago, rehab-robotics said:

Thanks :) she's German and already over there, so it's more like I'm meeting her there :P 

Okay, I'd give them a call. I'm sure the departments differ in how they handle things, but my "formal admissions requirements" were checked within a few days of submission (I also submitted a winter semester application at the same time that is sitting with the one green checkmark). It just seemed like they just made sure I submitted the correct paperwork. Your admission type is also different, although I'm not sure what each of them means. 

Maybe they can tell you when they plan on checking the formal requirements? The German universities take a notoriously long time to do admissions, even for international students. Some people don't get a letter until a few weeks before the semester starts because people drop out. But I tend to worry about being forgotten (as another university recently did to me for Spring semester in the US), so I'd be calling them until I got a clear answer haha.

One of my friends is in the same position as you. Met a German girl on exchange in Canada, and then they both went to Stuttgart.

Oh yes I have called them, haha. The person who picked up said to contact his boss (the Course Director), by email (surprise surprise), with highest priority - who then forwarded it on to the people who I'd been emailing originally, and they sent me what I added in the second screenshot. So we've come to a circle.

Long story short, although it's not my top preference, I still want (and every applicant deserves) a fair application.

11 minutes ago, thingii said:

One of my friends is in the same position as you. Met a German girl on exchange in Canada, and then they both went to Stuttgart.

Oh yes I have called them, haha. The person who picked up said to contact his boss (the Course Director), by email (surprise surprise), with highest priority - who then forwarded it on to the people who I'd been emailing originally, and they sent me what I added in the second screenshot. So we've come to a circle.

Long story short, although it's not my top preference, I still want (and every applicant deserves) a fair application.

I hope they straighten it out for you soon then.

On the topic of Zurich though; I swear there was a "Withdraw application" button on the eApply page after logging in. It's gone now on mine, but nothing else has changed. Does anyone else remember seeing it, or am I already having serious memory issues?

3 minutes ago, rehab-robotics said:

I hope they straighten it out for you soon then.

On the topic of Zurich though; I swear there was a "Withdraw application" button on the eApply page after logging in. It's gone now on mine, but nothing else has changed. Does anyone else remember seeing it, or am I already having serious memory issues?

Yes me too. And yes back to Zurich.

Show a screenshot? I just logged in to eApply and my Withdraw button is there still.

I remember for a week in January (whilst the Stuttgart situation was happening), my ETHZ application was "withdrawn" in eApply, and I pretty much had a heart attack and a seizure simultaneously.

Can someone here help me? I want to apply for Masters in Civil Engineering, at ETH Zurich. But unfortunately my bachelor degree in civil Engineering, is lacking more than 30 credits compared with the bachelor degree at ETH Zurich. My question is should I try to apply,is there another alternative, or shouldnt I even bother cause there is no chance. I would really appreciate an answer. 

Edited by gst

28 minutes ago, gst said:

Can someone here help me? I want to apply for Masters in Civil Engineering, at ETH Zurich. But unfortunately my bachelor degree in civil Engineering, is lacking more than 30 credits compared with the bachelor degree at ETH Zurich. My question is should I try to apply,is there another alternative, or shouldnt I even bother cause there is no chance. I would really appreciate an answer. 

I am afraid that only you can decide this... I know that ETH Zurich is quite restrictive about their requisites, so if you are lacking more than 30 ECTS it will be highly probable that you get rejected... However, you can always give it a chance because they may be "friendly" when counting ECTS. For instance, I know people that lack around 10 ECTS of requisites for the BSc in Physics, and they got accepted without conditions of taking that courses in Zurich. 

I know that EPFL is not that strict as ETH Zurich, and both are great institutions, so if you want to be extra-sure, have a look to the requisites EPFL asks for.

1 minute ago, canas said:

I am afraid that only you can decide this... I know that ETH Zurich is quite restrictive about their requisites, so if you are lacking more than 30 ECTS it will be highly probable that you get rejected... However, you can always give it a chance because they may be "friendly" when counting ECTS. For instance, I know people that lack around 10 ECTS of requisites for the BSc in Physics, and they got accepted without conditions of taking that courses in Zurich. 

I know that EPFL is not that strict as ETH Zurich, and both are great institutions, so if you want to be extra-sure, have a look to the requisites EPFL asks for.

Thank you, I only needed to know if there at least is a possibility. As far as EPFL goes, I would gladly apply there, but my field of study is mostly taught in French there. And my French is non-existent, whereas Zurich would work since I am fluent in German. Thank you again for taking the time.

8 hours ago, thingii said:

Yes me too. And yes back to Zurich.

Show a screenshot? I just logged in to eApply and my Withdraw button is there still.

I remember for a week in January (whilst the Stuttgart situation was happening), my ETHZ application was "withdrawn" in eApply, and I pretty much had a heart attack and a seizure simultaneously.

If you were accepted and the withdraw button is still there, then I feel like I'm probably already marked "rejected" in the system and therefore can't withdraw my application.

Can anyone else, accepted or rejected, confirm this?

Screen Shot 2016-02-18 at 8.33.57 AM.png

Edited by rehab-robotics

13 minutes ago, rehab-robotics said:

If you were accepted and the withdraw button is still there, then I feel like I'm probably already marked "rejected" in the system and therefore can't withdraw my application.

I have no answer about admission from ETH Zurich, but my withdraw button is still available...

Maybe it is because your application in currently being reviewed, and not "rejected" yet. Cheer up!!!!

Captura de pantalla 2016-02-18 a las 14.50.46.png

6 hours ago, canas said:

I have no answer about admission from ETH Zurich, but my withdraw button is still available...

Maybe it is because your application in currently being reviewed, and not "rejected" yet. Cheer up!!!!

Captura de pantalla 2016-02-18 a las 14.50.46.png

Same for me, "Withdraw" button is still available. I wonder how long it will take now.... (I wonder about the mental equilibrium of the student when they start to notice such minute things, meaning things are really going haywire inside brain.). I have examinations from next week, and I'm pretty sure I'm going to mess them up, thinking about result.

The problem here is that unlike some Scandinavian universities, ETH doesn't declare the result in a batch, but rather individually. I guess it has something to do with the order of received applications ?

Nevertheless, I'm betting big time on ETH, more so after I rejected job offers at some of the aces of biotechnology industry, and didn't even apply for others (I kind of feel little bit stupid now, but oh well). The funny thing is that from the first day of my Bachelor's, I was kind of determined to study at ETH, and if I get rejected now.....guess it's nothing but bad luck (because I think not many at bachelor's level would be proficient in comparative genomics and HPCtogether xD ). 

The problem with German universities is that they still require German in some of the courses, specially in my case since no single university provides the complete curriculum in one place; most of the programs in Computational Biology are usually joint programs, and the local participating university which usually teaches courses related to Biology...#surprise surprise#...teaches them in German. Same problem exists with Japan and their "foreigner" specific Frontier programs are so complicated that it is hard to understand what the actual programme is all about.

10 hours ago, rehab-robotics said:

I can say mine looks like what @canas has uploaded. I've hit my attachment limit apparently O_O.

4 hours ago, thingii said:

I can say mine looks like what @canas has uploaded. I've hit my attachment limit apparently O_O.

:mellow: not looking good for me then... hoping for some news tomorrow morning, one way or another. I have to get German health insurance, housing and a flight before April 1 if I get rejected to Zurich! I just hope they make it quick :D 

I would like to point out also another hint in this withdraw bottom issue. My partner has already been admitted to ETH three weeks ago, and he is able to see the withdraw bottom. He has just confirmed me that.

@rehab-robotics, I still believe that maybe the withdraw bottom is not related to admission/rejection... Let's see if there is somebody who has been rejected that can confirm this theory

7 minutes ago, Stranger123 said:

Anyone accepted to ETH's Master in distributed systems? There are so many CS Masters acceptance posters on results section, i'm literally freaking out, looks like i am rejected :(

I am in the same situation as you are right now... I am so annoyed that there are only CM admissions in the result page... I haven't heard anything from any physicist applying to the Physics MSc.... Guess we only need to wait, although the time pass by and I get even more annoyed every sec...