ETH Zurich ESOP 2016

42 minutes ago, Stranger123 said:

look closely, email received day is in February

I cannot take a screenshot I don't know why, but I swear than in the result page there are people who get accepted that received their confirmation in March (and they posted them in March) for different programs, Physics for instance. 

Think that even if you get accepted or rejected, you will received an email from them. There are people that in 2016 have already been rejected and they received the information sooner than others. I do not know exactly why for someones it takes longer than for others, but I do not believe that just because we are at 19th Feb we cannot hear an admission from them.

On the other hand, It is true that this year we have not heard from the ESOP interviews... and last years that meant no ESOP at all. That would be more worrying. 

We need to take it easy, because if not, we may go crazy during wait time.

Edited by canas

I would like to add fuel to the fire regarding Withdraw button :D

I don't have it any more. But 3 days ago, when I logged to eApply system last time, it was present. So it disappeared recently.

And yes, I also didn't get decision by now) So it is either under review or rejected.

1 hour ago, _alex_ said:

I would like to add fuel to the fire regarding Withdraw button :D

I don't have it any more. But 3 days ago, when I logged to eApply system last time, it was present. So it disappeared recently.

And yes, I also didn't get decision by now) So it is either under review or rejected.

Same, mine disappeared recently. Also, no news for me today. 

2 hours ago, canas said:

It would be really useful if somebody who got rejected shares the availability of the withdrawn bottom..

Congrats to everyone who got accepted this week!

Agreed. I'm feeling better though, because everyone who applied to Robotics, systems and control seems to have the button disappeared. It seems unlikely (but possible) they we're all rejected. 

19 minutes ago, rehab-robotics said:

Agreed. I'm feeling better though, because everyone who applied to Robotics, systems and control seems to have the button disappeared. It seems unlikely (but possible) they we're all rejected. 

I'm not gonna start to panic until Friday next week. Moreover, if the disappeared withdraw bottom meant "rejection", somebody would already realized that in previous years, doesn't it?

Let's see if there is somebody that may help us regarding the bottom issue...

5 hours ago, canas said:

I'm not gonna start to panic until Friday next week. Moreover, if the disappeared withdraw bottom meant "rejection", somebody would already realized that in previous years, doesn't it?

Let's see if there is somebody that may help us regarding the bottom issue...

Isn't this the definition of paranoia. While it would be a hard predicament for me to say that I'm indeed affected by this delay in results....but I guess we can't really do anything about it, right?

Hey guys! Just to keep adding information about the withdraw bottom... I don't have it anymore. I have it this noon, but this afternoon it disappeared...So I imagine that they just typed "rejected" in the system.

What about you?

55 minutes ago, canas said:

Hey guys! Just to keep adding information about the withdraw bottom... I don't have it anymore. I have it this noon, but this afternoon it disappeared...So I imagine that they just typed "rejected" in the system.

What about you?

At this point I'm starting to feel better and to think this happens when it is under review. In a thread full of ESOP applicants, 5 or 6 of us have no withdraw button (everyone from robotics systems and control, plus you in physics). I can't imagine that every person in this thread that is applying to RSC will get rejected. 

I and a friend also applied to Robotics, Systems and Control and our "withdraw" buttons are also gone, same as in everyone's case. I wouldn't ascribe too much meaning to it, honestly, as it's probably just a quirk/bug of their system. My Computer Science application (which was already accepted last week) still has the button, though.

Judging by last year's gradcafe listings, the RSC replies (both positive and negative) start coming in throughout the first week of March. So still a tiny bit of waiting left to do, I guess.

On another note, anyone accepted for the CS MSc, Theoretical Computer Science track? Do you know if the ETH does waitlists at all?

Edited by Inorog
Typo

I honestly don't think the "withdraw" button has anything to do with the final decision. When I checked my application four days ago, I couldn't see the button either. However, I got an offer two days later. So I guess it just indicates that your application is being reviewed by the Admission Office. Hope this helps!

50 minutes ago, JaspyKing said:

I honestly don't think the "withdraw" button has anything to do with the final decision. When I checked my application four days ago, I couldn't see the button either. However, I got an offer two days later. So I guess it just indicates that your application is being reviewed by the Admission Office. Hope this helps!

I really appreciate that you took your time to help us !!!

@canas Relax! When I had my ESOP interview a couple of weeks ago, the professor told me that I'm definitely admitted to both physics master's programs (i.e. the joint master in high energy physics and their "general purpose" one). Yet I'm still waiting for the official letter to arrive. So no reply at this point most certainly doesn't mean you're rejected! Just give them some more time ...

1 hour ago, E8 said:

@canas Relax! When I had my ESOP interview a couple of weeks ago, the professor told me that I'm definitely admitted to both physics master's programs (i.e. the joint master in high energy physics and their "general purpose" one). Yet I'm still waiting for the official letter to arrive. So no reply at this point most certainly doesn't mean you're rejected! Just give them some more time ...

So you have already received an email from the ETH, don't you? Congrats! Staying physics at ETH is one of my dreams

9 hours ago, E8 said:

I suppose that means for us who haven't got the ESOP interview, the scholarship dream is gone then...

But on the other hand, congratulations on your acceptance + scholarship prospective! Well done

Edited by thingii

2 hours ago, thingii said:

I suppose that means for us who haven't got the ESOP interview, the scholarship dream is gone then...

But on the other hand, congratulations on your acceptance + scholarship prospective! Well done

There was a person a year or two ago that posted in this thread that got the ESOP without an interview. It depends on the department it seems. Also, departments sometimes offer assistantships and scholarships in rare cases. It would definitely be better to get an interview, but there is still a small chance. 

EDIT: Here is the link

Edited by rehab-robotics
Supplying link to referenced post

Actually now that you mention it, fair enough. Also saw this regarding to timeframe:

On 26 March 2015 at 2:07 AM, MilosB said:

This is their official response, it has some additional information than the ones previous on this topic.

--------------------------------------------

The conference of the ESOP commission was at the beginning of March. After the conference the rector must authorize the decisions.

The scholarship decision is independent of the ETH admission and comes by email.

The positive answer for the ESOP came middle of March 2015. The decision for the MSP comes a few days later (end of March 2015). And the negative decision will come end of March 2015 too.

You have time to confirm the ETH admission. The Admission Office is informed.

Best regards

Ladina Aliesch

--------------------------------------------

:(

9 minutes ago, thingii said:

Actually now that you mention it, fair enough. Also saw this regarding to timeframe:

Yeah, so it may be up to the department who they recommend for scholarships. They may do any combination of 1) immediately recommending applicants with outstanding profiles/ proposals 2) interview students before giving recommendations. If they're allowed 5 recommendations, maybe they pick the two best with no interview, then interview ten people for the last three recommendation spots.

I guess we'll see what happens :) hoping for more admissions results for Robotics tomorrow (including my admission result please!)

13 hours ago, canas said:

So you have already received an email from the ETH, don't you? Congrats! Staying physics at ETH is one of my dreams

I got a personal email from a professor, asking for the best time for the skype interview. But no official communication from the admission office yet.

1 hour ago, rehab-robotics said:

Yeah, so it may be up to the department who they recommend for scholarships. They may do any combination of 1) immediately recommending applicants with outstanding profiles/ proposals 2) interview students before giving recommendations. If they're allowed 5 recommendations, maybe they pick the two best with no interview, then interview ten people for the last three recommendation spots.

I guess it depends on the department. From what I understood during the interview (he was describing the selection process for the scholarship), the physics department does interview all candidates on their short list. The ESOP commission will have their conference on March 4th, so maybe next week there will still be some more interviews? So people with no interview: don't give up hope yet!

Edited by E8