2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

16 minutes ago, abcd1 said:

Just a random question to settle my nerves before my first interview next week. My interview email mentioned that around 25 people have been invited for the interview and the university website says that it aims for a class size of around 12 people every year. Does this mean around 50% of the people will be offered admissions or they more likely to offer admissions to a larger number of people since not everyone will accept? This is my first choice university and I really dont want to mess it up.

Larger amount of people. For a class size of 12 I wouldn't be surprised to see them accept ~18-20 people. Slightly depends on the program and historically what their acceptance:matriculation ratio is. 

4 hours ago, BigThomason51 said:

I wouldn't flat out say "top choice."  Just thank them for the invite, but you unfortunately must decline the interview.  They'll read between the lines, but it's less awkward than telling them about your acceptance to your "top choice." 

Perfect thanks so much!

27 minutes ago, Neuro15 said:

Larger amount of people. For a class size of 12 I wouldn't be surprised to see them accept ~18-20 people. Slightly depends on the program and historically what their acceptance:matriculation ratio is. 

Thanks that is good to know. But now that I think about it, the email said 25 people were invited for this interview weekend and since they have another weekend the odds maybe more like 20 out of 50 :( 

Hi guys!

So I am highly considering cancelling an interview because I just feel overwhelmed by all the work I am behind on and I will probably not attend this program. However, they already bought plane tickets for me and I don't know how to go about it. Has somebody been through a similar experience? Do you know if I'd have to pay for the plane tickets if I cancel? I'd really appreciate your help!

On 1/27/2017 at 7:39 PM, jumbo1177 said:

Don't be worried about this! I was worried that one of my top choices didn't pair me with faculty I wanted to work with but then I interviewed and got accepted regardless! 

Thanks that's relieving!

19 minutes ago, Proteostasis Aficionado said:

Hi guys!

So I am highly considering cancelling an interview because I just feel overwhelmed by all the work I am behind on and I will probably not attend this program. However, they already bought plane tickets for me and I don't know how to go about it. Has somebody been through a similar experience? Do you know if I'd have to pay for the plane tickets if I cancel? I'd really appreciate your help!

If you know you won't attend the program, you should probably just ask them.

On 1/28/2017 at 11:06 AM, blankens said:

I was going to write a big long paragraph justifying this question but I decided it was easier just to ask.

What percentage of offers do top programs expect to be accepted or declined (i.e do they expect everyone they accept to end up there or only like 70%)? 

It depends on the program but from what I could see, yields are surprisingly low. Princeton (life sciences in general) and UPenn CAMB have roughly 40% of their offers accept, while Duke CMB had a yield as low as 27% last year.

https://gradschool.princeton.edu/sites/gradschool/files/admission_stats.pdf
https://www.med.upenn.edu/camb/app_info.shtml
https://gradschool.duke.edu/about/statistics/cell-and-molecular-biology-phd-admissions-and-enrollment-statistics

Edited by jougami

3 hours ago, Milind said:

Guys, Have any of you heard back from Upenn BGS (Biomedical Graduate Studies)??

Heard back for interviews or admission? Interview invites should be done already.

Edited by jougami

3 hours ago, jougami said:

It depends on the program but from what I could see, yields are surprisingly low. Princeton (life sciences in general) and UPenn CAMB have roughly 40% of their offers accept, while Duke CMB had a yield as low as 27% last year.

https://gradschool.princeton.edu/sites/gradschool/files/admission_stats.pdf
https://www.med.upenn.edu/camb/app_info.shtml
https://gradschool.duke.edu/about/statistics/cell-and-molecular-biology-phd-admissions-and-enrollment-statistics

That is very surprising! The only reason I asked was I am going on an interview/visit next weekend and there were only approximately 20 people invited to interview for a program that traditionally has a cohort between 13-15. This information makes it seem like less of an interview and more of a final screen to make sure you aren't crazy and almost everybody will be accepted.

56 minutes ago, blankens said:

That is very surprising! The only reason I asked was I am going on an interview/visit next weekend and there were only approximately 20 people invited to interview for a program that traditionally has a cohort between 13-15. This information makes it seem like less of an interview and more of a final screen to make sure you aren't crazy and almost everybody will be accepted.

The yield rate of most schools should be lower than 50%. The yield rate at Harvard HILS (BBS, BIG, MCO, sys bio, chem bio....adding up together) last year is just 53%. So I would assume that the "20 interviewers for 13-15 coming class" situation is 90%+ post-interview acceptance rate. 

Edited by MCF10A

On 1/28/2017 at 4:03 PM, Katyya said:

Not true. 90 interviewees for 40 spots but they will accept ~60-70 to ensure 40 people come. 

I'm like 100% sure I got in but I guess we'll see. 

Yaaaay, we shall see :) Rewtie told me there were 70 people the week before and over 50 during our interview weekend.

6 minutes ago, KR Marksmen said:

First Interview this weekend at WashU. Any tips or advice you guys have learned from the interview season?

Don't worry too much about the PIs research you're interviewing with. Know your stuff! they will ask you to go on and on about your research without asking detailed questions and it will look bad if you don't have a like a prepared speech that is at least 3-5 minutes long. 

Be comfortable, be yourself and don't be afraid to ask questions. You're not the only one being interviewed. You are also interviewing the PI and the school and making sure it's the right fit for you. So don't be afraid to ask like oh is this project available or are you recruiting graduate students right now or how often do you have lab meetings etc. It looks good to be interested in the details of how the lab functions and they want to make sure that it's a right fit for you. 

Anyone else interviewing at UCSB BMSE next weekend (Feb 9-11)? Or anyone who has interviewed/goes there want to share their experience?

38 minutes ago, Nick1452 said:

Anyone hear from Mt Sinai, they told us they wanted to send out today but nothing so far? 

I didn't hear back from them too! I remember that they said the results will be sent out "as early as" today. I hope they send out tmr :)