2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

20 minutes ago, bioinformaticsGirl said:

I got mine last week, so yours should be coming soon!

I got mine last week too! Now waiting on the physical package. Thanks!

7 hours ago, Nomad1111 said:

Total aside, but which program did you like better, Harvard BBS or Harvard MCO? Just wanted to pick your brain since you interviewed at/got in to both :)

They're both very different! I think they cater to very different students and the reason I applied to both is that I could see myself in either environment - either big or small.

I'm happy to continue this conversation through pm. :) I'm still making my decision but I'm leaning toward one of the two due to my past educational experiences.

2 hours ago, LoveMysterious said:

Accepted to NYU with a 2.6 uGPA. Miracles happen. 

Congratulations! When did you interview? Did you get the acceptance today? I have heard nothing from NYU and no one has posted results on the survey so hope there is still a chance for me.

On 3/7/2017 at 2:23 PM, Nomad1111 said:

Total aside, but which program did you like better, Harvard BBS or Harvard MCO? Just wanted to pick your brain since you interviewed at/got in to both :)

As a person coming to do basic molecular mechanisms, I personally prefer Harvard BBS-- a number of outstanding PIs working on very fundamental stuffs: transcription, RNA splicing, DNA repair and translation. Counterintuitively I didn't find many labs doing the same things in MCO. I almost feel most labs in MCO are doing microbiology, neurosciences, bioinformatics and developmental biology. Two POIs (doing RNA biology) who interview me even told me that they would move to other places soon. 

You could rotate / do you thesis in any lab in Harvard (even in MIT) regardless of your home program. And I believe both programs provide 3-year funding. So I guess at the end it depends mainly on whether you like a big or a small program, and which program provides courses you like better.

14 minutes ago, The Precambrian Rabbit said:

As a person coming to do basic molecular mechanisms, I personally prefer Harvard BBS-- a number of outstanding PIs working on very fundamental stuffs: transcription, RNA splicing, DNA repair and translation. Counterintuitively I didn't find many labs doing the same things in MCO. I almost feel most labs in MCO are doing microbiology, neurosciences, bioinformatics and developmental biology. Two POIs (doing RNA biology) who interview me even told me that they would move to other places soon. 

You could rotate / do you thesis in any lab in Harvard (even in MIT) regardless of your home program. And I believe both programs provide 3-year funding. So I guess at the end it depends mainly on whether you like a big or a small program, and which program provides courses you like better.

One thing to keep in mind about rotations at MCO, though, is that they require 2 of those rotations to be with MCO faculty, and that those rotations are fixed at 8 weeks in length. So if rotating in other areas is important to you, MCO is not the best option.

On 2/25/2017 at 8:45 PM, ImmunoB said:

It was really nice! I heard that they are having their last on-site interview week after two weeks. But I have no idea when they are having Skype interviews. If they don't answer your email, calling them is another option :)

Hey, congrats on your decision. can you tell me what kind of questions they've asked you on the interview for MD Anderson?

2 hours ago, Kaede said:

A potential PI just emailed me congratulating me on getting admitted into Stanford Bio, but I haven't actually heard back yet!

Sounds like your program is about to send out their invites. Which program is it?

Edit: Just realized you probably literally meant the Stanford "Biology" program. I was reading it as Stanford Biosciences.

Edited by inadequate

1 hour ago, inadequate said:

Sounds like your program is about to send out their invites. Which program is it?

Edit: Just realized you probably literally meant the Stanford "Biology" program. I was reading it as Stanford Biosciences.

Yes, Stanford Biosciences - Biology home area. :)

1 hour ago, Lhadd said:

Hello

Has anyone heard back from NYU Sackler? I interviewed in January 26 and I'm really getting anxious. 

I interviewed in January 26 as well, I E-mailed them last week and they said their admission committee still haven't decided yet and said they will meet again this week. Not sure when it will come but I am also very anxious!

Hey guys, is it a huge no-no to email a school and ask for an update on admissions decisions? I interviewed at a school in the beginning of Feb., they emailed me mid-Feb. stating that "admissions offers will be made soon", and I have yet to hear back from them. It's been almost a month since they sent me that email. Is it better to just keep waiting it out? 

51 minutes ago, ShewantsthePhD said:

Hey guys, is it a huge no-no to email a school and ask for an update on admissions decisions? I interviewed at a school in the beginning of Feb., they emailed me mid-Feb. stating that "admissions offers will be made soon", and I have yet to hear back from them. It's been almost a month since they sent me that email. Is it better to just keep waiting it out? 

I think it should be fine to ask. It also shows your passion to the program.

1 hour ago, The Precambrian Rabbit said:

I think it should be fine to ask. It also shows your passion to the program.

What about at a school that someone got waitlisted at? When would be an appropriate follow up time?