2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

31 minutes ago, hockeyref24 said:

What about at a school that someone got waitlisted at? When would be an appropriate follow up time?

I don't know exactly how long you should wait, but If I really want to get in the program, I would send them a follow-up email right away to express my strong interest. Anyway I think it won't hurt to be enthusiastic. At the end they also want to take the most passionate applicants.

On 3/9/2017 at 6:11 AM, Cancer said:

Hey, congrats on your decision. can you tell me what kind of questions they've asked you on the interview for MD Anderson?

Thanks. Well it was more like a chit-chat rather than an interview. Most questions were casual -- like why do I want to attend MD Anderson, what am I interested in. None of the interviewers asked tough questions such as describe this pathway or so.

Didn't get into my dream program. Felt like the interview and weekend went really well, but turns out I was wrong. Any advice on getting over a place you were 100% ready to move to? It was my dream to go there for like the past six years so it's really killing me, but I'm trying to put it out of my mind because I have one more interview left.

18 minutes ago, Epigenetics said:

Didn't get into my dream program. Felt like the interview and weekend went really well, but turns out I was wrong. Any advice on getting over a place you were 100% ready to move to? It was my dream to go there for like the past six years so it's really killing me, but I'm trying to put it out of my mind because I have one more interview left.

May I ask where?

1 hour ago, Epigenetics said:

I'm sorry to hear that :/ During one of my interviews, one of the professors gave me some really good advice when selecting a school. If you're interviewing at these schools, there isn't a wrong choice. They all have top notch research, and it doesn't really matter where you go, because you'll have the same opportunities no matter what. It definitely sucks to be rejected, but you seem like a capable person. Just remember you get to decide your own future.

On 3/9/2017 at 11:10 AM, thegriffin said:

Anyone here back from Stanford cancer bio?

PIs just got a list of admits. Emails coming out shortly.

hope I got to meet you at recruitment weekend! (Shoot me a pm :D)

Edited by jaesango

Has anyone heard from USC Pharmaceutical and Translational Sciences?  Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but can't seem to find any other comments/forums for this program :mellow:

4 minutes ago, thegriffin said:

Any idea when the student emails will go out? 

Should be sometime before 5 PM PST or on Monday. 13 admits (2? of them residents/MDs), several people on the waitlist.

9 hours ago, Epigenetics said:

Epigenetics, I feel for you.  I was in the same boat, I had an interview at my "dream" school, and ultimately it seems like I will be getting rejected.  However, I had an interview at another program, and I completely feel in love with them.  I just received an acceptance, and I'm so happy that things turned out the way they did because I might have missed out on this opportunity.  Let yourself grieve for a couple of days, but then get things together and kill your next interview!  

17 hours ago, ImmunoB said:

Thanks. Well it was more like a chit-chat rather than an interview. Most questions were casual -- like why do I want to attend MD Anderson, what am I interested in. None of the interviewers asked tough questions such as describe this pathway or so.

I see. Thank you very much for the heads up. I hope you the best. Thanks again.

44 minutes ago, Nomad1111 said:

I probably will be! 

Awesome! Do you know whether it will be grad students from all the PhD programs or just the STEM ones?

22 minutes ago, Kaede said:

Awesome! Do you know whether it will be grad students from all the PhD programs or just the STEM ones?

I think it's anyone in GSAS, since it seems to be a GSAS-hosted event?

Edited by Nomad1111

I just got accepted for the Biology MS program at Umass Boston with full funding after interviewing there a week ago. I really didn't know what to expect given that I was applying without any research experience but in the end my high GPA and GRE scores and strong letters of recommendation overcame it. Plus, my interview went extremely well. Still haven't heard back from URI or UConn, but Umass was my first choice anyways so I'll likely be accepting regardless.

Happy to say I just accepted an offer of admission from one of my top choices and a top 20 school in my field.  For all of those with low-GPAs, there is hope! Find a masters that will accept you... do extremely well and the door will open for Ph.D programs! 

EDIT:  Also, thank you to this community for the great advice and support along the way! 

Edited by BigThomason51

2 hours ago, Nomad1111 said:

I probably will be! 

58 minutes ago, jeanetics17 said:

I'll be there as well.

Awesome! I'll see you there then! :D Have y'all committed yet?

1 minute ago, Proteostasis Aficionado said:

@Kaede

Did you get invited through Harvard MCO? I think they mentioned in my acceptance email there will be an event but I haven't gotten any details about it yet

It's a general GSAS event, so neither BBS or MCO are coordinating it. The packet with our stipend letter also had reference to an admitted students event, but they specifically emailed me and included an extra sheet about diversity weekend, which overlaps with the admitted students day.