2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

14 hours ago, Kaede said:

I just used @Epigenetics's words. I haven't heard of rude rejections either - I'm curious as to what programs would treat their applicants disrespectfully.

Me too. I did remember during my undergraduate application some schools sent rejection letters like "you are not qualified for our program", but I haven't heard anyone receiving such responses for phd applications.

On March 18, 2017 at 2:45 AM, Epigenetics said:

I literally had a program just tell me they "have more highly accomplished applicants than we can accept".

They mean that the pool of "highly accomplished applicants" is larger than the number of spots that they have available, so many people will not get a spot even though they are highly accomplished.  This seems to me like the standard way to phrase a rejection

Do universities formally tell you if you are on a waitlist? I had some interviews in February but haven't heard anything since then. I am assuming I would have heard something by now unless I am on some sort of waitlist and they dont want to outright reject me for now.

1 hour ago, abcd1 said:

Do universities formally tell you if you are on a waitlist? I had some interviews in February but haven't heard anything since then. I am assuming I would have heard something by now unless I am on some sort of waitlist and they dont want to outright reject me for now.

Not always. I had one who didn't tell me I was on a wait list until I called them and asked about my status.

1 hour ago, kimmibeans said:

Not always. I had one who didn't tell me I was on a wait list until I called them and asked about my status.

Thanks. I think I will email and ask if I don't hear anything this week. I am just not sure if it is only me or if they just haven't sent out acceptances because there aren't many responses in the survey either.

On 3/18/2017 at 2:45 AM, Epigenetics said:

I literally had a program just tell me they "have more highly accomplished applicants than we can accept".

Oh, I got that email. When I first read it I thought they said that "we have more highly accomplished applicants than you." I was pretty upset for about an hour before I realized I misread it.

Still a little annoyed because during the interviews I qualified my responses with things like "if I have the opportunity to go here, _______" and just about every prof would stop me and say that everybody gets in. Guess not. :( 

Edited by kevinrhinoceros

1 hour ago, kevinrhinoceros said:

Oh, I got that email. When I first read it I thought they said that "we have more highly accomplished applicants than you." I was pretty upset for about an hour before I realized I misread it.

Still a little annoyed because during the interviews I qualified my responses with things like "if I have the opportunity to go here, _______" and just about every prof would stop me and say that everybody gets in. Guess not. :( 

Had the same experience, just got the Stanford rejection in the mail and I'm more offended that a school with such a mediocre app they made us use couldn't be bothered to send an e-mail. 

11 minutes ago, Epigenetics said:

Had the same experience, just got the Stanford rejection in the mail and I'm more offended that a school with such a mediocre app they made us use couldn't be bothered to send an e-mail. 

giphy.gif

Edited by blc073

This thread has gone really quite. It seems most people have gotten in somewhere. Still waiting to hear from a couple of places I interviewed at. Don't know if I should just give up now.

2 hours ago, abcd1 said:

This thread has gone really quite. It seems most people have gotten in somewhere. Still waiting to hear from a couple of places I interviewed at. Don't know if I should just give up now.

Hang in there! It's not April 15th yet :) 

5 hours ago, abcd1 said:

One of my friends heard back today from a Ph.D. program she interviewed at a while ago, letting her know she was accepted. There's hope. If you can, shoot the program coordinators for the programs you are waiting for an email. 

Finally got the official acceptance for Case Western Reserve (bio department, not the integrated one)!  I know that some people here say that it doesn't matter if you contact PIs or not, but in this instance, a PI quite literally got me in. I really think it's worth it to reach out, especially if you share a common research interest. 

19 hours ago, LoveMysterious said:

Finally got the official acceptance for Case Western Reserve (bio department, not the integrated one)!  I know that some people here say that it doesn't matter if you contact PIs or not, but in this instance, a PI quite literally got me in. I really think it's worth it to reach out, especially if you share a common research interest. 

Do you mean contacting POIs prior to interviewing, or after? I'm on the waitlist at my top choice school, and am debating on whether to email one of my POIs to express I am still interested in the program. When I got the email that I was waitlisted from the grad coordinator, I emailed back thanking him for the information and stating that the program is my top choice. I'm not sure if contacting a POI now would be overkill. 

2 hours ago, ShewantsthePhD said:

Do you mean contacting POIs prior to interviewing, or after? I'm on the waitlist at my top choice school, and am debating on whether to email one of my POIs to express I am still interested in the program. When I got the email that I was waitlisted from the grad coordinator, I emailed back thanking him for the information and stating that the program is my top choice. I'm not sure if contacting a POI now would be overkill. 

I meant prior to interviewing.  

Finally got my first acceptance after 2 months of silence. Feeling relieved.  

Still no word from the first choice school I interviewed at though so I am about to email their program director. I want them to know that it is my top choice and I will certainly join if they offer but I am not sure if I should hint at the fact that I already have an acceptance at another school and am only waiting for their decision. Is it ok to send such an email or should I wait a bit more?

58 minutes ago, abcd1 said:

Finally got my first acceptance after 2 months of silence. Feeling relieved.  

Still no word from the first choice school I interviewed at though so I am about to email their program director. I want them to know that it is my top choice and I will certainly join if they offer but I am not sure if I should hint at the fact that I already have an acceptance at another school and am only waiting for their decision. Is it ok to send such an email or should I wait a bit more?

Email is definitely OK. A call may be even better

Tomorrow is April Fools, so I hope they don't e-mail me tomorrow. All things considered, I'll be attending Penn State's Biochemistry, Microbiology, and Molecular Biology PhD program. I also got an acceptance to North Carolina State's Functional Genomics PhD program. I have yet to hear from Ohio State's Biochemistry Program and the University of Pittsburgh's MCDB program. I obviously will not be changing my decision, but it would be nice to hear back from them.

If anyone from the north east will be taking a uhaul through the DC area to WUSTL this summer/August or will go through st louis I'm trying to find someone to take my mattress and we can work out the compensation. DM if you are interested. 

(Shipping costs for just a queen mattress are ridiculous, but to expensive /new of a mattress to just buy a new one)

On 2/8/2017 at 10:45 PM, Roa Ni said:

Undergrad Institution: TOP10 University in China, Mainland, QS ranked 200 in Life science and Medical research ... not very famous comparing to PKU or THU
Major(s): Biological Sciences
Minor(s):NA
GPA in Major: 4.0/4.0
Overall GPA: 4.0/4.0
Position in Class: TOP
Type of Student: International, Male, Asian(China)

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 169
V: 152
W: 3.0
B: NA

TOEFL Total: 100

Research Experience: 

1 year for undergrad thesis, article in preparation

3 year in iGEM competition Best Composite Part X1, Gold Medal X2

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: National Scholarship X1 (top scholarship), and other scholarships

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: NA

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: 

Recommender: Prof. Junjiu Huang(yes, the guy in Nature-figures who conducted genetic modification on human embryo)

Research topic of my undergrad thesis, it's a really novel phenotype and all the faculties interviewed are curious about it

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Harvard -BBS-stem cell biology, rejected
JHU -CMDB-stem cell biology, wait listed

UCLA-rejected

BCM-rejected

NYU-Sackler-stem cell biology-still interview

UTSouthwestern-rejected

Umich-PIBS-rejected

Umass Worcester-IGP-acceptted

UGA-ILS-acceptted

Faculty in NYU told me that this academic is extreamly harsh for international students, since US students have NIH grants but we can not.

Anyway, good luck to all applicants

Final update:

Harvard Medical School BBS X Rejected, 170307
Johns Hopkins University CMDB Wait listed Rejected, 170307
University of Michigan-Ann arbor PIBS X Rejected, 161221
University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center At Dallas DBS 170316 Accepted, 170328
University of California—Los Angeles BIO X Rejected, 170329
Baylor College of Medicine BBS X Rejected, 170107
University of Georgia ILS 170125 Accepted, 170202

New York University, Sackler BBS 170207-170208 Rejected, 170403
University of Massachusetts Medical School IGP 170123 Accepted, 170204

I have signed to confirm UTSW.

Hey guys,

So origionally I was set on medicine but after a considerable amount of thought and deliberation and I think with my drive for research and teaching the Ph.D. route is best suited for me. I'm familiar with med school requirments and competitiveness but as for grad schools it's a shot in the dark. I don't really know where I'm at and where I should apply in terms of how competitive my profile is. I am taking a gap year atm (about to graduate from undergrad this may!!) and planning on applying this next cycle - fall 2018. 

Any and all help would be super duper appreciated!! - thanks in advance 

Undergrad Institution: University of Texas at Austin
Major(s): Public Health Infectious Diseases
Minor(s): none
GPA in Major: 3.6
Overall GPA: 3.50, hopefully higher at the end of this semester 
Position in Class: top quarter? I'm not sure. 
Type of Student: domestic, male, LGBT

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q:
V:
W:
B:

- i havn't taken the GRE yet. I plan on studying and taking it this summer. 

I have taken the MCAT and scored at the 87th percentile on the "Biological and Biochemical Foundations of Living Systems". - if that's any relevant indicaiton. I know for some schools they accept MCAT as a sub for GRE but I probabbly won't do that. I scored dissapointingly low on the CARS reading section... apparently I'm illiterate!? idk. 

I'm taking the GRE anyway since the vast majority of grad schools require it. 

Research Experience: 

Behavioral neuroscience lab for 3+ years that investigates rehabilitation in animal models (rat and mouse models) after ischemia to the motor cortex. The lab does a lot of studies into vasculature and dendritic spine recovery during neurorehabilitation and neuralrepair after infarct. so it's much more neuro oriented than the "behavior" part. 

I just finished the draft of my manuscript and submitted it to my PI for review. Our goal is to submit it for publicaiton by the end of this semester, early summer. For the same research, I presented it at the Clinically Applied Rehabilitation Engineering symposium at my university. I was also one of five abstracts selected to present orally at the American Society for Neurorehabilitation annual meeting in san diego. co-poster presentation at the society for neuroscience annaul meeting, also in san diego. 

So my issue is here that all my research experience is in a neuro lab and I don't know how applicable that is when applying to a molecular/micro/virology phd... I'm gonna try and supplement this by joining a virology lab that I have my eyes on during my gap year but I don't know how significant my contributions can be if it's only for a year. 

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: 

like dean's list once or twice and I got an honors scholarship ($1000) at the end of my freshman year. 

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: 

-TA for Genetics for 2 semester, I got really good reviews from the students course-instructor surveys at the end of it. 

-clincial observership program at MD Anderson in houston for 1 summer. I did rotations in leukemia and surgery. This was mostly for when I was pre-med so idk how pertinent this is for grad school. 

-for my gap year i was just hired for a lab assistant at a pediatric clinic. It's just a tech job so i don't really think that counts for much except for experience. 

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

I was an officer and team captain of the Polo team at my school. it's just a fun thing i did on the side. 

I have a significant amount of community service in a couple different organizations. 

Special Bonus Points: being gay? it's 2017 and idk if it counts for anything anymore. I probabbly won't "declare" this on the app specifically unnless there is a specific part where they might ask. 

I'll also have a very strong rec letter from the PI that i work for.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:
I had to Q drop two classes but I can explain my way through those. I got a C+ in calculus. I can't do math to save my life SOS. 

Applying to Where:

For grad schools, I really want to try to find something in the NYC area, since I love the city in general, so if you guys have any suggestions there that would be great (or anything in the new england area).

My research interests are in virology, specifically studying viral methods for gene therapy. I think that's pretty speicific and not many institutions will activley and specifically be doing research into this but I would apply broadly to microbiology/molecularbiology/virology programs. 

I don't really know what would be considered in my reach so these are just schools that I'm looking into. 

- weill cornell 

- columbia 

- NYU biology 

- NYU sackler (anyone know what the pro's and con's are of doing a traditional university based Ph.D. or one at a med school? I'm assuming the clinically applied research there?) 

- cornell university in ithica 

- baylor college of medicine 

any suggestions?