2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

5 minutes ago, abc0111 said:

I meant Stanford BMI, but I assume the email invitation was also sent more than a week ago?

Called with invite to interview for BMI a week and a half ago. Email invitation received around a week ago. Logistical email from umbrella (Molecular Biosciences Program) end of last week.

1 hour ago, SysEvo said:

Now I'm in a very negative situation: one of my required computer science course holds on the mandatorily lab on Friday. I need to go to the lab to pass, and the lecturer refused to make any adjustments to accommodate the interviews; rather, he told me to move the interviews to Monday, which is totally impossible. What can I do? Will writing to the undergraduate program director help? Thanks a lot!

That's annoying. Calling the director could be helpful but perhaps your advisor or somebody knows you much better could make your voice heard more easily. Personally I would suggest to communicate again with the course lecturer to see if he can be reasonable since he would be one in charge after all.

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:08 PM, cuteDr22 said:

Regarding Roswell Park, they just contacted me via email to say my transcript was blank. So i just sent them a copy. Sounds like they are still working on the applications.

just wanted to let you know that there was an update in mine, it says its under review now.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 3:27 AM, Katyya said:

WHAT

ditto - I def did not get any invite, Skype or otherwise, from upenn... sigh.

2 hours ago, MCF10A said:

Just got the official rejection from MIT Biology :( 

#It only takes 56 words to break my heart.

saw you put u Chicago as doomed - did you ever hear from them?

So far now, I've been invited to Wisconsin Madison, Emory, and WashU, and never heard a peep from Northwestern, UPenn, and UChicago...

Edited by Pepperoni

16 minutes ago, LoveMysterious said:

INTERVIEW AT UIC GEMS!! I am in shock!! For those wondering if you can overcome a 2.6uGPA, apparently you can!!! :)

Really happy for you!  That's amazing!  I'm also coming from a lower uGPA side, but hoping my Masters helps with admissions! 

Edited by BigThomason51

18 minutes ago, eyesandheart said:

I heard from UCLA Biosciences on 12/28. The interview weekends I was offered were 1/20-21 or 2/24-25.

Thank you! Which program did you apply to?

Edited by Kaede

1 hour ago, abcd1 said:

Is it fair to assume that anyone who hasn't received an invite from Vanderbilt IGP is rejected? I heard they do rolling invites but it seems a little late for that now.

I actually just got an email interview invite a few hours back. So maybe, there's still hope.

Edited by Kvothe~

1 hour ago, Pepperoni said:

ditto - I def did not get any invite, Skype or otherwise, from upenn... sigh.

saw you put u Chicago as doomed - did you ever hear from them?

So far now, I've been invited to Wisconsin Madison, Emory, and WashU, and never heard a peep from Northwestern, UPenn, and UChicago...

No. Absolute silence from the Windy City. But the Penn skype interview actually gives me some hope on UChicago. Maybe UChicago cancer bio will review the whole intl pool and send out skype interviews later (just as UPenn did)? There's hope!

4 hours ago, BigThomason51 said:

Really happy for you!  That's amazing!  I'm also coming from a lower uGPA side, but hoping my Masters helps with admissions! 

Thank you :). I did a post-bacc program, which really helped me out. Good luck to you as well!  

7 hours ago, desmond.bo said:

That's annoying. Calling the director could be helpful but perhaps your advisor or somebody knows you much better could make your voice heard more easily. Personally I would suggest to communicate again with the course lecturer to see if he can be reasonable since he would be one in charge after all.

I can tell from all his bragging about himself during the lecture that he has very high ego. He refused my proposal of adjustments quite arbitrarily and rudely, so I don't think talk to him again will make any differences. Also my research mentor is not in CS so he won't be very helpful. I have emailed both the academic advisors and the program directors, asking if I can take an equivalent course in my PhD institute and transfer the credits back...I have a BS in biochem anyway so even if I can't get this course to work, I still can go to grad school... Now I'm also worried that even if the lecturer eventually agrees to make adjustments because of the department's intervene, he could give very low scores on my writing assignments

9 hours ago, Oddich55 said:

Now, I don't know your institution, but I would go to the CS department chair or Academic Dean and be like "Man, you guys are supposed to be giving me a future, not screwing it up". Maybe in slightly better terms than that, but yeah.

I emailed them and probably will go to see the academic advisor in person tomorrow...

2 minutes ago, Oddich55 said:

Best of luck. 

I know at my university, that's all it ever takes and problems are usually resolved. I hope they are for you as well. 

Thanks! I think it is resolvable; even if it is not, I have a BS already anyway...

2 hours ago, SysEvo said:

I can tell from all his bragging about himself during the lecture that he has very high ego. He refused my proposal of adjustments quite arbitrarily and rudely, so I don't think talk to him again will make any differences. Also my research mentor is not in CS so he won't be very helpful. I have emailed both the academic advisors and the program directors, asking if I can take an equivalent course in my PhD institute and transfer the credits back...I have a BS in biochem anyway so even if I can't get this course to work, I still can go to grad school... Now I'm also worried that even if the lecturer eventually agrees to make adjustments because of the department's intervene, he could give very low scores on my writing assignments

Pat pat. I guess it's alright since you're moving forward to MIT, Galtech or somewhere even better. It would not be a big deal even if he really damages your final score. Just wanna say those professors like him need to go back to school themselves and learn how to be behave like an adult.

Hope everything is gonna be okay. Good luck.

10 hours ago, SysEvo said:

After i worked out my schedule, i approached my professors regarding Friday classes. I have a few - including a lab. They were all very nice and understanding. However, if i had one like you are describing, i would possibly consider getting out of the class if possible. Sounds like based on what you said that this course is not needed. Good luck!