2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Dank

17 minutes ago, book2readme said:

That means that only two PIs are available at that time; and you shouldn't be worried. 

I applied here for a PREP program; and the interview process was kind of hectic. I selected 8 PIs, and only interviewed with two during that interview cycle. I suspect a lot of professors are either busy or not available during that week.

This is happening at some of the schools I'm interviewing at. I was a little surprised. 

3 hours ago, baren said:

Has anyone heard from CU-Boulder MCDB yet? I am starting to get worried. 

I received an invitation to interview with them on Jan. 10th. The available dates were feb 2-5th or feb 23-25. Extrapolating from the email it looks like they had around 250 applicants and invited somewhere from 30 to 40 people to interview. 

14 minutes ago, virionoftomorrow said:

I received an invitation to interview with them on Jan. 10th. The available dates were feb 2-5th or feb 23-25. Extrapolating from the email it looks like they had around 250 applicants and invited somewhere from 30 to 40 people to interview. 

Thanks, good luck with the interview. Maybe i'll sneak in. 

Enjoy Boulder if you wind up there its a magical place. 

7 hours ago, Josie817 said:

Recently received my interview schedule for Johns Hopkins MMI/BMB...and I was surprised that the faculty I'm meeting with don't entirely match my research interests. In my app I said I was interested in microbiology and they paired me with two immunology people and two random cell bio people. Is this a bad sign? Between the two programs I gave them nearly 10 people I was interested working with and they matched me with 2. Does this mean that most of the people on my list didn't want to meet with me, or that they just weren't available? I've been on two interviews so far and they did a really good job of finding people whose research interested matched my own. Has anyone else experienced this?

Don't be worried about this! I was worried that one of my top choices didn't pair me with faculty I wanted to work with but then I interviewed and got accepted regardless! 

I was going to write a big long paragraph justifying this question but I decided it was easier just to ask.

What percentage of offers do top programs expect to be accepted or declined (i.e do they expect everyone they accept to end up there or only like 70%)? 

3 hours ago, blueyellow said:

Hi all! I was just wondering if it was reasonable to e-mail the program director to let them know that if admitted you would 100% accept.  I am done with my interviews and am in love with one of the programs, so I would want them to know that they wouldn't be wasting an offer on me, I'm not sure if this is a totally insane idea or not so I'd love any feedback anyone has to offer. thanks!! Jackie

I wouldn't be too direct about it. Maybe say something like "I really enjoyed the visit, it was a fantastic program etc." 

From what I heard, the likeliness of someone attending is considered.

So I was recently just accepted to one of my top choice programs (Yay!) and I am planning on cancelling two of my other interviews just because I applied to too many schools and it just gets to tiring! I was just wondering what the most polite way to cancel interviews is (none of them have bought any travel tickets for me yet). Should I just email the program coordinator saying I got into my top choice school and I really appreciate you giving me the opportunity to interview but I really don't want to waste anyones time? 

10 minutes ago, jumbo1177 said:

So I was recently just accepted to one of my top choice programs (Yay!) and I am planning on cancelling two of my other interviews just because I applied to too many schools and it just gets to tiring! I was just wondering what the most polite way to cancel interviews is (none of them have bought any travel tickets for me yet). Should I just email the program coordinator saying I got into my top choice school and I really appreciate you giving me the opportunity to interview but I really don't want to waste anyones time? 

I wouldn't flat out say "top choice."  Just thank them for the invite, but you unfortunately must decline the interview.  They'll read between the lines, but it's less awkward than telling them about your acceptance to your "top choice." 

44 minutes ago, jumbo1177 said:

If they've already bought your plane tickets, expect to be sent the bill...

On 1/23/2017 at 9:35 AM, book2readme said:

I interviewed last weekend. Supposedly 120 interviewees for 40 spots. We'll hear back as soon as Jan 30th. 

Not true. 90 interviewees for 40 spots but they will accept ~60-70 to ensure 40 people come. 

I'm like 100% sure I got in but I guess we'll see. 

Just a random question to settle my nerves before my first interview next week. My interview email mentioned that around 25 people have been invited for the interview and the university website says that it aims for a class size of around 12 people every year. Does this mean around 50% of the people will be offered admissions or they more likely to offer admissions to a larger number of people since not everyone will accept? This is my first choice university and I really dont want to mess it up.