Jump to content
Dank

2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Recommended Posts

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2016 at 6:31 PM, MeghanSiobhan said:

Thought I'd throw my update out there:

 

UPenn CAMB/Cancer - waiting

Pitt IBGP/Cell and Molecular Pathology - Interview March 3

Tufts Sackler/Biomedical - waiting

UChicago Biomedical/Cancer - waiting

OHSU Cancer Bio - Rejected

UW (Seattle) MCB - waiting

UCSD Biomedical - waiting

UCI Biomedical Gateway Cell and Molecular - Interview Jan 26 (got this offer even before they sent out their "hey, we're reviewing apps" email lol)

Temple - not even due till Feb 15 lol (thinking they won't have interviews? that's why it's at the bottom)

 

Emailed UPenn, Chicago and UW to see if they're done sending invites. I'll update with that when/if I know.

did you hear from temple biomedical sciences phd yet?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, virionoftomorrow said:

I'm sure each school is different, but I had an interview at Baylor Jan 19-21st and just heard back yesterday, so I think its way too soon to start panicking. 

I know it feels like forever, but that's actually pretty fast. It may be a couple of weeks or more before you hear, depending on when the AdComm meets! Some schools also make their applicants wait until all interview weekends are done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2017 at 2:13 PM, mitoticspindles said:

UC Merced invite!

Same! Congratulations!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it worth it to submit a last minute application? I found another school I am interested in that does not have their application deadline until Feb 15th. Is it worth it to submit an application? I have sent a prospective advisor an email and am waiting to hear back. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, hockeyref24 said:

Is it worth it to submit a last minute application? I found another school I am interested in that does not have their application deadline until Feb 15th. Is it worth it to submit an application? I have sent a prospective advisor an email and am waiting to hear back. 

If their deadline still hasn't passed, I would throw my name in (Especially if you like the program, and/or don't have any other interviews/offers)! I think the biggest obstacle for you would be to make sure your LOR writers would be willing to submit a letter for you again. It shouldn't be too difficult given they will likely still have the one they wrote for your other applications, but, I would definitely ask them if they would submit the letter again before listing them on another application. But if you want to apply to another school, I would get on it ASAP! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, LadyScientist said:

If their deadline still hasn't passed, I would throw my name in (Especially if you like the program, and/or don't have any other interviews/offers)! I think the biggest obstacle for you would be to make sure your LOR writers would be willing to submit a letter for you again. It shouldn't be too difficult given they will likely still have the one they wrote for your other applications, but, I would definitely ask them if they would submit the letter again before listing them on another application. But if you want to apply to another school, I would get on it ASAP! :) 

I heard from the professor. I ended up applying. We will see how it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hockeyref24 said:

I heard from the professor. I ended up applying. We will see how it goes.

If you're applying to a program that places students based on rotation, make sure there are other professors that you would be happy to work with before accepting an offer. It isn't worth going to a school where there's only one professor that you like, and they may not even take students next year.

And, as I keep saying again and again, it is far more important to choose a lab based on your fit with the mentor, lab environment, and funding than to choose your "dream project." Save the dream projects for your eventual career (which will be longer than your PhD anyway), and focus on getting the training so you have the right skills to kick some ass in your desired career path. Choose your schools for the learning environment and how you think you fit there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DeathlyHallows said:

Does anyone know when the interview weekends are for:

1. Northwestern University Interdepartmental Neuroscience (NUIN)

2. UMich, PIBS

Thank you. :D

Someone might have posted the dates in this thread:

http://forum.thegradcafe.com/topic/85334-2017-interview-dates/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2017 at 11:28 PM, asdfghjkl1 said:

Interviewed last weekend at Emory for IMP. Received acceptance letter via email today (for those wondering). 

Congrats!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2017 at 9:55 AM, blueyellow said:

Does anyone know if sackler is done sending out admits?

I hope not since I'm interviewing there in two weeks!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accepted into UW-Madison's MDTP (top choice!)

I did ask about the political+funding situation during my interview. The program (microbio department in general) is well insulated from funding cuts (they even increased the stipend this year), and professors that would have left have mostly done so by now - but it doesn't hurt to ask the ones you are particularly interested in. This is not the case for every department, so if Madison is on your radar then be sure to ask - the information was practically volunteered by a few people.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Accepted to Chemistry- University of Virginia and Biochemistry- University of Wisconsin

I  worried if my low score (verbal 145) would get me to anywhere.. but I guess science department only looks at your quantitative score?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Undergrad Institution: TOP10 University in China, Mainland, QS ranked 200 in Life science and Medical research ... not very famous comparing to PKU or THU
Major(s): Biological Sciences
Minor(s):NA
GPA in Major: 4.0/4.0
Overall GPA: 4.0/4.0
Position in Class: TOP
Type of Student: International, Male, Asian(China)

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 169
V: 152
W: 3.0
B: NA


TOEFL Total: 100

Research Experience: 

1 year for undergrad thesis, article in preparation

3 year in iGEM competition Best Composite Part X1, Gold Medal X2

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: National Scholarship X1 (top scholarship), and other scholarships

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: NA

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: 

Recommender: Prof. Junjiu Huang(yes, the guy in Nature-figures who conducted genetic modification on human embryo)

Research topic of my undergrad thesis, it's a really novel phenotype and all the faculties interviewed are curious about it

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Harvard -BBS-stem cell biology, rejected
JHU -CMDB-stem cell biology, wait listed

UCLA-rejected

BCM-rejected

NYU-Sackler-stem cell biology-still interview

UTSouthwestern-rejected

Umich-PIBS-rejected

Umass Worcester-IGP-acceptted

UGA-ILS-acceptted

 

Faculty in NYU told me that this academic is extreamly harsh for international students, since US students have NIH grants but we can not.

Anyway, good luck to all applicants

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Roa Ni said:

Undergrad Institution: TOP10 University in China, Mainland, QS ranked 200 in Life science and Medical research ... not very famous comparing to PKU or THU
Major(s): Biological Sciences
Minor(s):NA
GPA in Major: 4.0/4.0
Overall GPA: 4.0/4.0
Position in Class: TOP
Type of Student: International, Male, Asian(China)

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 169
V: 152
W: 3.0
B: NA


TOEFL Total: 100

Research Experience: 

1 year for undergrad thesis, article in preparation

3 year in iGEM competition Best Composite Part X1, Gold Medal X2

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: National Scholarship X1 (top scholarship), and other scholarships

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: NA

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help:

Special Bonus Points: 

Recommender: Prof. Junjiu Huang(yes, the guy in Nature-figures who conducted genetic modification on human embryo)

Research topic of my undergrad thesis, it's a really novel phenotype and all the faculties interviewed are curious about it

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter:

Applying to Where:

Harvard -BBS-stem cell biology, rejected
JHU -CMDB-stem cell biology, wait listed

UCLA-rejected

BCM-rejected

NYU-Sackler-stem cell biology-still interview

UTSouthwestern-rejected

Umich-PIBS-rejected

Umass Worcester-IGP-acceptted

UGA-ILS-acceptted

 

Faculty in NYU told me that this academic is extreamly harsh for international students, since US students have NIH grants but we can not.

Anyway, good luck to all applicants

Good luck to you!  Curious - if an international student is willing to attend a school with the understanding that he/she will not get a grant, is it possible to convince that institution to accept you?:  I'm not saying this is what you or anyone else would want, but i'm just curious if this is possible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, cuteDr22 said:

Good luck to you!  Curious - if an international student is willing to attend a school with the understanding that he/she will not get a grant, is it possible to convince that institution to accept you?:  I'm not saying this is what you or anyone else would want, but i'm just curious if this is possible?

Chinese student here..

As far as I know, many European schools hope Chinese students to take fundings themselves. Otherwise, it would be difficult to find a suitable lab there.

In US, some top schools are requesting Chinese students to take funding from Chinese government now. 3 or 4 years ago Harvard BBS required students to take funding themselves (from the government), maybe HMS has stopped doing so these two years. Yale BBS is very very welcome to students taking fundings themselves (take 20 students per year). But these fundings have also put Chinese applicants who want to apply for full scholarships into a more difficult situation...

PS: I hope graduate schools will not be reviewing this forum, as there are too many restrictions for applying for funding from the government, some of which might hamper further postdoc training opportunities.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.