Jump to content
Dank

2017 Applicant Profiles and Admissions Results

Recommended Posts

interview from sloan kettering too!!! I gave it a try only because I love it very much, but I didn't count on it. Came as a big surprise! happy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, abc0111 said:

Is that just the BBS in Harvard or every program in DMS including BIG and Immunology?

Harvard BBS will send out invites tomorrow. I'm not sure about other DMS programs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I'm finished with the dreaded Physics final I thought I would finally post where I'm applying.

Undergrad Institution: North Carolina State University
Major(s): Genetics and English 
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.61/4.0
Overall GPA: 3.74/4.0
Position in Class: top 25%
Type of Student: Female, domestic 

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 156
V: 156
W: 4.5

Research Experience: 

6-month research experience in a drosophila lab examining hox gene expression during high school

5-month research experience in mouse skin cancer lab performing experiments on heat shock vs liquid nitrogen tissue collection

8-month research experience driving my own project on endangered red wolves to find a gene causing a degenerative retinal disease using WGS and exome sequencing. 

Currently working in an epigenetics lab (for 2 months now) researching the effect of BPA on imprinted genes in mouse embryonic stem cells (didn't mention this in my apps because I hadn't started working there yet).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Several Scholarships; Spoke at the NCSU Comparative Medicine Institute annual Symposium to promote multi-disciplinary study and highlight the research performed in the red wolf, Dean's list all four years of college

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Worked as a CGxP Project Specialist in a Biotechnology/Tech Transfer/Quality Assurance company to provide CGxP and engineering support on biopharmaceutical factory design.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Extensive experience in administration and leadership and teaching experience from time spent in Kosovo.

Special Bonus Points: I worked in the lab of a renowned dog cancer geneticist who helped sequence the dog genome and wrote me a letter of recommendation.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I graduated from high school at 16 and will graduate from college at 20. I mentioned this in my personal statement to highlight my academic ability but I wonder if this will end up hurting me as maybe some graduate schools want someone older because they think someone older may be more adjusted to the difficulty of graduate schools? I am also a double major in Genetics and English which diversifies me as a candidate and solidifies my ability to write :)

Applying to Where:

UPenn-CAMB-Genetics and Gene Regulation

Emory-GMB

N.C. State - Genetics 

Duke - UPGG

UNC-Chapel Hill- BBSP 

 

I've only heard back from Emory for a Skype interview and I'm getting a bit nervous about my chances at getting interviews at other schools... I'm not sure if I haven't heard back because I'm young because I've been told I have a strong application and great letters of recommendation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Invited for UPenn CAMB - Cancer Bio WOOOOO

Congrats to everyone for their interviews and hope to see you guys there! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, geneticginger said:

Now that I'm finished with the dreaded Physics final I thought I would finally post where I'm applying.

Undergrad Institution: North Carolina State University
Major(s): Genetics and English 
Minor(s):
GPA in Major: 3.61/4.0
Overall GPA: 3.74/4.0
Position in Class: top 25%
Type of Student: Female, domestic 

GRE Scores (revised/old version):
Q: 156
V: 156
W: 4.5

Research Experience: 

6-month research experience in a drosophila lab examining hox gene expression during high school

5-month research experience in mouse skin cancer lab performing experiments on heat shock vs liquid nitrogen tissue collection

8-month research experience driving my own project on endangered red wolves to find a gene causing a degenerative retinal disease using WGS and exome sequencing. 

Currently working in an epigenetics lab (for 2 months now) researching the effect of BPA on imprinted genes in mouse embryonic stem cells (didn't mention this in my apps because I hadn't started working there yet).

Awards/Honors/Recognitions: Several Scholarships; Spoke at the NCSU Comparative Medicine Institute annual Symposium to promote multi-disciplinary study and highlight the research performed in the red wolf, Dean's list all four years of college

Pertinent Activities or Jobs: Worked as a CGxP Project Specialist in a Biotechnology/Tech Transfer/Quality Assurance company to provide CGxP and engineering support on biopharmaceutical factory design.

Any Miscellaneous Accomplishments that Might Help: Extensive experience in administration and leadership and teaching experience from time spent in Kosovo.

Special Bonus Points: I worked in the lab of a renowned dog cancer geneticist who helped sequence the dog genome and wrote me a letter of recommendation.

Any Other Info That Shows Up On Your App and Might Matter: I graduated from high school at 16 and will graduate from college at 20. I mentioned this in my personal statement to highlight my academic ability but I wonder if this will end up hurting me as maybe some graduate schools want someone older because they think someone older may be more adjusted to the difficulty of graduate schools? I am also a double major in Genetics and English which diversifies me as a candidate and solidifies my ability to write :)

Applying to Where:

UPenn-CAMB-Genetics and Gene Regulation

Emory-GMB

N.C. State - Genetics 

Duke - UPGG

UNC-Chapel Hill- BBSP 

 

I've only heard back from Emory for a Skype interview and I'm getting a bit nervous about my chances at getting interviews at other schools... I'm not sure if I haven't heard back because I'm young because I've been told I have a strong application and great letters of recommendation. 

Age has nothing to do with admissions lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OMG OMG OMG WASHU in st louis BIOCHEMISTRY DBBS interview invite by email!!!!

Edited by KR Marksmen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly didn't apply to Sloan Kettering because their application was super confusing and annoying. :D

Congrats to everyone who got invites today!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Katyya said:

I honestly didn't apply to Sloan Kettering because their application was super confusing and annoying. :D

Congrats to everyone who got invites today!

Have you gotten any news today? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, seventwo said:

Has anyone heard from U Chicago?

Not yet :( I applied to Microbiology though. What programs for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DGD4L said:

Not yet :( I applied to Microbiology though. What programs for you?

Molecular genetics and cell biology, I'm getting slightly nervous

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, DGD4L said:

Not yet :( I applied to Microbiology though. What programs for you?

 

4 minutes ago, seventwo said:

Molecular genetics and cell biology, I'm getting slightly nervous

When I applied, I heard back today in the afternoon, almost at 4. Maybe they're doing the same this year, or running a little late?? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

Have you gotten any news today? 

I just heard from administration telling me my official GRE scores just went through and my application is technically 'ready for review' 

but Dr. Hu told me they only needed unofficial self-reported GRE scores for initial review so now I'm wondering if they even reviewed my application 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Katyya said:

I just heard from administration telling me my official GRE scores just went through and my application is technically 'ready for review' 

but Dr. Hu told me they only needed unofficial self-reported GRE scores for initial review so now I'm wondering if they even reviewed my application 

From Penn?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Bioenchilada said:

I don't think I know this person haha

Andrew Hu should be the chair of cancer bio admissions this year :D He's at Wistar. Last year it was Dr. Wellen and she told me to contact Dr. Hu for this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone look at the itinerary for the Sloan Kettering interview?  Looks like they sent last year's?  Let me know if anyone else has this issue.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For UPENN CAMB anyone know if interviews for the DSCRB concentration have gone out? Everything in the results search is cancer bio/GGR/or MVP...... maybe I'm not doomed. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.